Why do people remove prices after selling?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jim Bennett, May 29, 2014.

1. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 26, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Jim Bennett
    I'm relatively new to this forum, but I've sold a ton over at Fred Miranda and other forums and I'm curious about something . I've noticed on this forum as well as Fred Miranda that a lot of sellers edit their posts after a sale to remove the prices.

I'm really curious as to what the purpose of doing this is? Are they trying to preserve value of the used market ? If this is the reason I'm not sure that is very effective in any case. If its not that I'm truly perplexed. I know its not strictly against the forum rules here, but its strongly suggested to not do this.

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I've wondered about this myself, and the only thing I can come up with is that people don't want the information out there as to how much they took below their asking price, for fear that it will hurt their negotiating power in future sales.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    But they can leave the asking price; they don't have to put the final selling price.

Barry

4. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    If I do or have done it in the past it is only because the item is no longer for sale and usually I will replace the asking price with "SOLD"

The way I see it, the item is no longer available and will not be in stock again in the near future so the the asking price is irrelevant once the item is sold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'd be just as happy if the whole thread was deleted. Once sold, the thread is just a waste of space.

• Like Like x 1
  6. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    +1 on what BAXTING said

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    What Baxting said,
    although a strikethrough on the price and an extra SOLD word would preserve the price and deflect enquiries.
    Best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    That's all true, but I've considered selling some things here and there; and seeing the prices people have gotten for items like mine helps when/if I list them. Or it can give people an idea as to what to expect to pay when they finally get around to buying that "new" camera body, for example.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Just FYI, here we have a way of marking a transaction as completed or sold. Editiing the price and marking it sold is not suffecient enough.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jim Bennett

Jim Bennett Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 26, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Jim Bennett
    Exactly. I think marking the post as completed is the best way to indicate the item is sold and commenting that "x lens is sold" I understand the comments that seeing you lowered the price is indicative that you are willing to deal, but its always up to you what you will accept or not.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Note that when posts on FM are updated, there's a link to all the previous versions, so you can always find the original post (and pricing).

12. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I think having the historic sale prices in the threads is a valuable resource for the forum and the information helps future buyers and sellers. I wish more people left that information in their closed threads.

• Like Like x 3
  13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    But the selling price is NOT irrelevant to anyone who is considering buying the item in the future.

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    After I sell an item, I raise the price in the FS thread so the next seller will have a higher baseline to sell the same item! :wink: :tongue: :biggrin: j/k

Actually I tend to take the price off, because sometimes people message me months later asking if that item is still for sale. I think just wiping out the price drives the message that the item is sold. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

I think not deleting the prices (original asked or final whatever it was entered) is really helpful.. This is a growing community and believe or not, there are a lot of newbies (like myself) and buying/selling something in a forum is also a new thing for many.. Having a past price history is definitely helpful for us (for having a lens purchase/upgrade plan etc)!

It is very easy to write next to price SOLD with bold after the transaction is complete. Some group members do that and I personally really appreciate for myself and other newbies..

Newbie advocate, Lodos
    (wait wait, I am a rookie!)

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    What about prices negotiated through PM's? No one sees those, so the asking price or any price for that matter on the original thread is meaningless if the price was negotiated through PM.

17. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I will often look for current like items that are selling before I list an item for sale to make sure Im not over/under priced. However I never use completed sale prices to determine what the current going rate is, nor do I expect a seller to match an old completed sale price. The current value is whatever someone is willing to pay at that current moment, not $20 less/more than it was last week or last month IMHO.

All that being said, if the general consensus is that members prefer the original asking price be left in the completed thread, then I would be happy to oblige.

It does state in the buy/sell guidelines that it is appreciated if one does so.

B

• Like Like x 2
  18. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    I think it is helpful to preserve at least the original listing price, if not the final sell price. I'm just a little new guy, but I'd counter that the info is not irrelevant and the "Completed" posting is not a waste of space. It creates a valuable resource for people who like to research how much an item has sold for in the past (when there aren't many current listing for a similar item) or get an idea about the depreciation in value for the item.

I personally use the info to reassure myself I am getting a fair deal :tongue:

• Like Like x 1