1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why do my colours look so different in Windows Photo Viewer?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by cyrax83, Sep 14, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi Guys,
    I am running Windows 10 and a Dell 30 inch monitor. The 30 inch monitor has been colour calibrated using a spyder display. The colour profile has been applied to the video card properties.

Now in lightroom, I see a certain colour and I edit to that. I then export as jpg to sRGB (as they are going to be used by clients on the web/social media etc).

I then view the e3xported jpg in the standard Windows Image Viewer and they look totally different. As an example, here is a screenshot I've taken with the snipping tool

Lightroom left, jpg export right in windows photo viewer:
    http://i.imgur.com/C4cLPo7.jpg

Next here is the same windows jpg export as a dropbox direct link
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4545io27xqr0tu2/P9120070.jpg?dl=0
    Notice how there is no colour shift it looks normal - you can compare to the lightroom screenshot:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhh3i7jzk9huki2/P9120070-LR.PNG?dl=0

So what the heck is going on? Why do pictures look like ass in Windows Photo Viewer? Is it not rendering the jpgs properly?

2. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The software also needs to understand the colour space and colour management. Simply calibrating the monitor is not enough.

4. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    So pretty much anyone who views the jpg shots in windows photo viewer (which is pretty much anyone who downloads jpg's) would view colours that are way off?
    Surely not :/

edit: Seems as though on Windows 8/10 - The Photos app (default) is not colour managed, Windows Photo Viewer is. I changed default to use Windows Photo Viewer and jpg renders fine.

Guess I'll just have to encourage clients to use Windows Photo Viewer on Win8/10 and not the Photos app that comes setup by default?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  5. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    That or your embedded Icc profile for your jpg is off.

6. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I'm exporting as standard sRGB profile - in lightroom should I be exporting as my monitor profile?

7. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Is the embedded profile also sRGB? I can't check the file here (on an iPad). Your monitor profile is for your display device and has nothing to do with your file colour space or profile. The monitor profile simply makes sure colours are consistent with the reference standards, and displays whatever colour space (Adobe or sRGB, assuming the monitor can handle the range) accurately.

The file should be edited and exported to sRGB. If you edit in the wider colour space (Adobe or Prophoto) you could have colours that don't render correctly in sRGB - and what you see in LR may not be sRGB. If you open the exported file in LR does it look different? Or in a colour managed browser like Chrome?

8. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    If you have a wide gamut monitor, you need a color managed application to look at your pictures (even in sRGB).

Anyone that does not have a wide gamut monitor will have no problem viewing a sRGB file with a non-color managed application.
    Anyone that have a wide gamut monitor probably use color managed application (or else they see everyone's photo colors wrong).

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The image you posted, C4cLPo7.jpg, is in AdobeRGB!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    I have the same problem Windows 10 new photo viewer. The color profile is off but a trick I use until I find another solution is that if you zoom in one step, it will change to the correct color profile after about a second. very weird.

11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    So @cyrax83@cyrax83 what Clint's post means is that you should NOT set your camera to AdobeRGB or develop to AdobeRGB in your work flow unless you have a specific target.

personally I've never found a reason to use this colour space.

So when making a JPG, unless its to send to a specific printer, use sRGB colour space as non colourspace aware software will not render it scruffy looking...

(your local Nerf Herder)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I love working in AdobeRGB, and have a calibrated wide gamut monitor capable of it, but it's a PITA most of the time especially if the colour management profile doesn't load. The results of AdobeRGB are lovely especially in the blues. But it's too much hassle to recommend.

13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    but you still have to print it:

Working Space Comparison: sRGB vs. Adobe RGB 1998

and in reality the monitor tuning just reduces Adobe to sRGB (or whatever your spider measured your monitor as capable of) anyway ... because that's the gamut of (your) monitors.

Understanding ProPhoto RGB - Luminous Landscape

I do my working in ProPhoto and convert back to sRGB or the printer.