Why do I like this?

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Laserguy, May 1, 2010.

1. I took this the other day, cropped it, cranked down the exposure, and converted it to B&W. I am quite pleased with the result (despite overexposing the highlight and using a bit too shallow a depth of field).

The problem I'm having is that I don't know why I like it, and while I'm quite sure that it's far from perfect (technical flaws aside), I don't know what I might have done to improve it. I feel like I could improve my photography, if only I knew what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    It is a VERY strong composition.

The eye has lots of places to go, there is much to look at, but it is all balanced. Take away all the leaves and grass and you've got a simple triangle of fence, lawnmower and tree.The strong perspective draws you in and keeps the eye moving; the tree anchors it. Wonderful stuff.

I also like how you got down low on it. From above, in standing position, it wouldn't have worked.

Bokeh D
    • Like Like x 1
  3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    bokeh i could not have said it better
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Strong composition, rich tones and detail.:thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Thank you all for the for the kind words and feedback; I've taken the photo (and the unmodified, out-of-camera .jpg that preceded it) to the Straight Talk group.
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

:2thumbs:I guess I'd better follow the discussion over there then!
  8. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

I like it a lot. I especially like the way the tree, gatepost and mower shaft all give lines for my eye to travel through the picture. The tones are, as Lisa said, spot on.