C&C Why do I hate it (picture of a Robin)

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
It is available in Adobe Bridge (free download from Adobe) in the metadata panel. Can't remember what it is called specifically, I'll boot my PC and look.

Just checked. Bridge no longer shows this in the 2020 CC version! Bloody Adobe ...

However, PIE Studio does. It's an extremely useful program suite, at nominal cost. Basically, a full graphical UI to Phil Harvey's wonderful EXIFTool, with useful printing tools tgat were worth the extra to me.

One thing I loved about the old Apple Aperture was it showed focus distance and focus point used.

I do believe there is a plugin for Lightroom that will show focus distance, or was it focus point used. Can't remember now.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
It is available in Adobe Bridge (free download from Adobe) in the metadata panel. Can't remember what it is called specifically, I'll boot my PC and look.

Just checked. Bridge no longer shows this in the 2020 CC version! Bloody Adobe ...

focal length shows up perfectly in the latest Bridge under camera metadata tab.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Why are you doing any post? That doesn't always improve an image. I think some photographers rely too much on editing, the way some won't leave the house without putting on a clean shirt. Why? Lack of confidence or ability? Be brave. Go acoustic!

It's a fine image of a robin. I'm not sure what motivated you to take its picture. Photography needs to start with motivation.

Were you trying to document a sighting? Mission accomplished (really, not a GWB thing).

Where you trying to get an artsy image of a robin? I think the bird overruled you. The setting is bleak. You're looking up at the bird. A lot of negative space. No interior framing (which can look really nice on bird shots).

As for removing an out-of-focus branch, why? Things that are not entirely sharp can help lead the eye to other parts of the image.

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
Why are you doing any post? That doesn't always improve an image. I think some photographers rely too much on editing, the way some won't leave the house without putting on a clean shirt. Why? Lack of confidence or ability? Be brave. Go acoustic!

It's a fine image of a robin. I'm not sure what motivated you to take its picture. Photography needs to start with motivation.

Were you trying to document a sighting? Mission accomplished (really, not a GWB thing).

Where you trying to get an artsy image of a robin? I think the bird overruled you. The setting is bleak. You're looking up at the bird. A lot of negative space. No interior framing (which can look really nice on bird shots).

As for removing an out-of-focus branch, why? Things that are not entirely sharp can help lead the eye to other parts of the image.

No, not trying to document a sighting. I have always been impressed with close ups of birds that some people seem to get. In the right lighting, the feather detail simply looks fantastic (and I am quite new to telephoto lenses, so getting close enough to birds to capture those shots is a bit of a challenge).

I went out in in the morning just as the sun was peaking above the trees, but was pretty unsuccessful. Then this Robin landed in a tree about 12 feet in front of me. I thought I had gotten the perfect picture.

When I got home, I realized that I really didn't like it. However, I think my judgement was clouded by the fact that I thought I had captured a pretty good picture. So, I made the post to help me identify some concrete issues with the picture to help improve future efforts.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom