Why do hoods have vents on the side?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by wzfoto, Jan 31, 2013.

1. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I am looking for a hood for my 20mm 1.7. I notice some of the hoods on the market has an opening on the side. I thought the point of a hood is to prevent light from directly hitting the lens, and with a vent on the side, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of having the hood in the first place?

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    They're designed for use with rangefinders. The larger the hood the more of the rangefinder window is blocked by it. The "vent" allows rangefinder users to see through the vent when composing.

3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    so actually on our cameras it's a cosmetic touch to make it look cool. which we all know increases dynamic range and sharpness.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It makes it look "retro". Whether or not that looks cool is personal taste. :cool:

But really, you'll find stuff like this for m4/3 lenses often only because a lot of m4/3 lenses use rangefinder filter sizes. For instance, the 40.5mm filter thread that came with the original Pen kit zoom - a size found only on rangefinder lenses. 46mm, like on the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 is also a very common size for rangefinder lenses, in particular Leica.
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    absolutely. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It also makes it lighter, and less likely to catch the wind.
  7. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Be careful when unsrewing one that gets stuck to your AF lens. I had to buy a new lens. So maybe, you don't need a hood.
  8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Some lens hoods have a sliding or detachable hatch which is so you can rotate a polarising filter with the lens hood attached, the vents in the side of other types of hoods may also be for that.

9. fspeur

fspeur Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    In answer to your question about light directly hitting the lens because of the vents: it doesn't. When you face the lens with the hood on it at an angle (any angle), you'll see that the hood prevents the light from hitting the lens (except of course when the light source is directly facing the lens). The vents have no negative impact on that. It's an example of a very smart piece of design from way, way back.
  10. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    You can open bottle caps with one of those, right?
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I thought that was so the flames could pass over without damage ...