1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why do folks hate on the GF2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Nov 14, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm a fine one to talk I suppose as I have mine up for trade but not because I didn't like it but because I like/need an EVF and my G2s EVF is a lot better than the LVF1 (although the LVF1 isn't terrible).

That said, the GF2 is a very capable camera that gets trashed by folks in favor of the GF1 and GF3. What gives? The GF1 has more buttons and the all important AEL/AFL button...is that it? Seriously? It's not like the GF2 doesn't have that ability its just not in a button. IQ wise its the same as the GF1 AND GF3. The GF2 also has 1080i video (which the GF1 does not) to boot and a hotshoe (which the GF3 does not.) Now granted it's not a proper upgrade to the GF1 but it was also a LOT less expensive at release as well. Steve Huff calls is a dog (or something equally denigrating) and even mentions he likes the IQ of the GF3 better while fawning over the GF1.

I've had a number of m43 cameras and I have yet to see a significant difference between them IQ wise. They are different and I can understand having a preference but it does seem like the poor GF2 is getting kicked ot the curb for no good reason. I have half a mind to keep it just so whoever trades me for it doesn't turn it into scrap. Okay so it's not the GF1...sheesh that doesn't make it the worst camera since the Polaroid Swinger. I will say one of my all time favorite photos came off of my GF2 and my Panasonic 20.

2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Most were basically expecting the GX1. Not a more simplified model.

3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I think the gf2 is a great camera and the touch foucs is very sweet, but mot people prefer the manual control that is easier to access on models models other than the GF2/3. Most of the people on this site relate closer to slr style control than p&s controls.

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well I can understad that but I would argue that it being a more simplified model is not a bad thing. I could understad it if it had lost capabilities but to the best if my knowledge the GF1 and GF2 are very close in capability. Yes it lost some buttons but the same controls are in the touch screen and FWIW it is a pretty good implementation of a touch screen.

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Basically, yes - that's it. For the people that the GF1 appealed to, that direct access matters a whole lot and the GF2 didn't offer it. But then it wasn't a super compact like the GF3 either, so it was just an odd mid-point that wasn't the perfect enthusiast compact (GF1) or the perfect simplified P&S upgrade (GF3), it was just, well, something in between that wasn't really of interest to anyone...

My uninformed 2c anyway :smile:

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    yeah, but that's not the same as having direct button access. They were basically asking folks to change their style of shooting even more. A lot of GF1 owners came from higher end systems (or seem to have anyway). Used to having lots of button access. The GF1 gave that along with being compact with tradeoffs that seemingly were acceptable. The GF2 just crossed a line that irked people.

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The G2 was not a "dumbing down". It's basically a G1 with better ergonomics and video. The G3, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like the GF2, the only major negative was the crummy LVF-1. That LVF gives me a headache!

9. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    bought the gf2 ,viewfinder and 20mm for girlfriend and i think its a very cool camera .small but heavy for its size very well built.liked it so much i sold my pentax kx but i bought a g3.bought the g3 as i figuerd we didn't need 2 gf2s.both are nice cameras.the one thing i like about the gf2 is the build feels better than the g3,like a little tank.i really don't think any of the pannys are dogs.

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

How is the G2 a dumbing down? It has better handling than the G1 and video. Was it because it has a touch screen? I have a G2 and it is every bit the camera any of my DSLRs have been in the handling department.

11. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    GF2 is my first system camera and first M 4/3. With some cheap c mount lenses I've been able to learn a lot and been mostly happy. An LVF and more physical controls would be nice but for photography I'm OK with it.

The biggest problem for me is that, through this camera, I've discovered an interest in shooting video. The GF2 video is extremely dumbed down. It's been a real challenge for me to get decent footage. That is the one thing that I consider a show-stopper.

I'm going to save up for a GH2 body and hack the firmware, although that is likely a couple of months out. I'll keep the GF2 around as a second body.

I could happily recommend the GF2 for anyone not shooting video.

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I bought the GF2 during the special sale with the 14. I was going to sell the body but have come to like it more than my GF1.

Enough more that I will be selling my GF1.

13. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    I think you can program the GF2 fn button to be AEL/AFL?

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well the GF2 preceded the GF3 so at least at introduction it was the smallest m43 camera available. I can see how it falls into a weird neither this nor that category but I think that is more perception than reality. Look at its direct competition the E-PL2. I think the E-PL2 is a fine camera but the GF2 is as fast to AF, has IMHO a better build, MUCH better handling because of the thumbwheel, an AF illuminator and a touch screen. Yet still the E-PL2 is revered and the GF2 is in the bargain bin.

Seems weird to me.

15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well that's a fair criticism but I think of the GH1 and GH2 as the video cams. I see video on the GF2 as the kind of thing for birthday parties and such.

16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I believe so.

17. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Does the gf2 have worse high iso performance than e-pl2? I remember reading that somewhere.

gf-2 has all the features olympus should have had. Fast autofocus, touch screen and assist light!!!! Now the newer olympus models do not have in built flash!!

You are forced to buy top of the line e-p3 for all the features included in gf-2. That does say alot of the gf-2 sans the high iso performance and also color reproduction OOC JPEG.

18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I stand corrected, for some reason, I thought we lost a button in the G2. I was never a fan of the G1/GH1 in terms of handling though. They felt very awkward to me. Haven't had the pleasure of a G/H2 yet though.

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have never found the IQ to be that different between my various m43 cameras (E-P1, E-PL1, E-PL2, GF2 and G2). When shot in RAW they are all virtually indistinguishable from one another.

The there is the much talked about OOC JPEG color on the Olympus. I am clearly in the minority here but I just don't see the Olympus color as being all that earth shattering. It's very pleasing saturated look with a warm cast and Panasonic JPEGS tend to look cooler and IMHO a bit more true to life. They're both nice. All of THESE were mostly shot with the G2 and GF2 as JPEGs and I don't find them lacking color wise.

20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish the E-PL2 was built into the GF2. The E-PL2 is too plasticky and bulky, the GF2 has great AF/build, but so-so image processing and no IBIS. The E-PM1 is close, but no grip, and no built-in flash.