Why Did You Chose 4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by photoheron, Jul 11, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    In the past month that I have been deciding and learning about 4/3 cameras.
    Most of you come from the DSLR world or use 4/3 as a second camera, why did you chose 4/3 format? Beside the obvious the size and less bulk.

The 4/3 format of cameras are not widely advertised or if at at all. It is definitely a niche market here in the USA.

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry to correct you, but 4/3 (Four-Thirds) is a DSLR format. I believe you meant Micro Four-Thirds (abbreviated as m4/3).

4. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee Subscribing Member

May 3, 2013
    California
    Size was the primary attraction. That said, there are other systems that are comparably small --Sony NEX, Fuji X, Leica M, Samsung NX.

Micro 4/3 was attractive over those for a few reasons.

1. I know people with m43. A buddy at work, my brother. They know about the system and had good knowledge to share about lenses. They didn't push m43, but just educated me. And I like knowing about things.

2. Lens options. Part of this is due to #1, me being more educated about m43 than other systems, but I like the lens options for m43. Seems like there's a lot more that interests me, and the prices are pretty reasonable. Even the most expensive lenses, like the Oly 75mm, aren't that expensive compared to high-end DSLR pieces.

3. Olympus' stabilization. I rarely have a tripod with me.

5. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Until May 2012, my primary camera was a FF Canon 5d, which I found too large and heavy to take on the type of ultralight travel I like to do. I experimented with then-available higher end compacts (such as the Canon G series), but found the image quality not quite good enough. Then I bought an EPL-2 with two kit lenses before a European trip and was thrilled with the combination of portability and quality. It produced excellent prints at the maximum size of my Epson 3800. I realized that with a slight additional increase in quality, I could probably dump my FF gear because any quality advantage it might have was irrelevant at the size I print. I almost bought a NEX-7 (ordered it, in fact), but decided that the lack of good wide angle options was too big a problem. Then the OMD came out. Sold off my FF gear, bought the OMD plus some additional lenses, and have been very happy since.

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I unlike many others here, was an upgrader from P&S, and had always been wanting a mirrorless system camera. Back then I wasn't backed by too many to choose from, only NEX and M43, and the answer seemed apparent. I wasn't that impressed with NEX system squeezing an APS-C sensor into that unbalanced body nor with its lens selection; it just seemed reasonable for me to choose a format designed well balanced, and with at least two manufatures' products to choose from; and at last but not least can I say m4/3 feels more lovely than Sony NEX and its E-mount?

P.S. I remember tried the NEX-C3 (w/ pancake), NEX-5N (18-55), Lumix GF3 (14-42) and Olympus E-PL3 (45 1.8) though I was then looking for the Lumix GF2, told out of stock, so I picked up a GF3 and 14 2.5 and it all started.

7. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I was just searching good looking camera and run into PEN E-P5, that's it. Then I read about it, read more about m43, looked pictures shot with other PEN cameras, and I was sold.

I had opportunity to shoot with pre-production E-P5 and definitely decided to keep my pre-order for E-P5. But I was leaving for holiday trip and didn't want to shoot with old gear, I had time to learn something new. And when I couldn't get E-P5 in time, I bought E-PM2 as a second camera. And I have to say, I really, really like it. If you don't tell my wife, I hadn't bought the E-P5 in first place if I only had knew how well E-PM2 suits for me and my photography. But now I have both :thumbup:

So in the end, I'm selling my Sony SLT-55 and RX-100 away, and we share with my wife our PEN E-P5 and E-PM2 and stuff. What I really like in m43 is the combo of quality and size/weight. IMHO the best camera is the one you keep with you everywhere and you like using it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.