Why Did You Chose 4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by photoheron, Jul 11, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    In the past month that I have been deciding and learning about 4/3 cameras.
    Most of you come from the DSLR world or use 4/3 as a second camera, why did you chose 4/3 format? Beside the obvious the size and less bulk.

The 4/3 format of cameras are not widely advertised or if at at all. It is definitely a niche market here in the USA.
  2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry to correct you, but 4/3 (Four-Thirds) is a DSLR format. I believe you meant Micro Four-Thirds (abbreviated as m4/3).
  4. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    Size was the primary attraction. That said, there are other systems that are comparably small --Sony NEX, Fuji X, Leica M, Samsung NX.

Micro 4/3 was attractive over those for a few reasons.

1. I know people with m43. A buddy at work, my brother. They know about the system and had good knowledge to share about lenses. They didn't push m43, but just educated me. And I like knowing about things.

2. Lens options. Part of this is due to #1, me being more educated about m43 than other systems, but I like the lens options for m43. Seems like there's a lot more that interests me, and the prices are pretty reasonable. Even the most expensive lenses, like the Oly 75mm, aren't that expensive compared to high-end DSLR pieces.

3. Olympus' stabilization. I rarely have a tripod with me.
  5. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Until May 2012, my primary camera was a FF Canon 5d, which I found too large and heavy to take on the type of ultralight travel I like to do. I experimented with then-available higher end compacts (such as the Canon G series), but found the image quality not quite good enough. Then I bought an EPL-2 with two kit lenses before a European trip and was thrilled with the combination of portability and quality. It produced excellent prints at the maximum size of my Epson 3800. I realized that with a slight additional increase in quality, I could probably dump my FF gear because any quality advantage it might have was irrelevant at the size I print. I almost bought a NEX-7 (ordered it, in fact), but decided that the lack of good wide angle options was too big a problem. Then the OMD came out. Sold off my FF gear, bought the OMD plus some additional lenses, and have been very happy since.
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I unlike many others here, was an upgrader from P&S, and had always been wanting a mirrorless system camera. Back then I wasn't backed by too many to choose from, only NEX and M43, and the answer seemed apparent. I wasn't that impressed with NEX system squeezing an APS-C sensor into that unbalanced body nor with its lens selection; it just seemed reasonable for me to choose a format designed well balanced, and with at least two manufatures' products to choose from; and at last but not least can I say m4/3 feels more lovely than Sony NEX and its E-mount?

P.S. I remember tried the NEX-C3 (w/ pancake), NEX-5N (18-55), Lumix GF3 (14-42) and Olympus E-PL3 (45 1.8) though I was then looking for the Lumix GF2, told out of stock, so I picked up a GF3 and 14 2.5 and it all started.
  7. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    I was just searching good looking camera and run into PEN E-P5, that's it. Then I read about it, read more about m43, looked pictures shot with other PEN cameras, and I was sold.

I had opportunity to shoot with pre-production E-P5 and definitely decided to keep my pre-order for E-P5. But I was leaving for holiday trip and didn't want to shoot with old gear, I had time to learn something new. And when I couldn't get E-P5 in time, I bought E-PM2 as a second camera. And I have to say, I really, really like it. If you don't tell my wife, I hadn't bought the E-P5 in first place if I only had knew how well E-PM2 suits for me and my photography. But now I have both :thumbup:

So in the end, I'm selling my Sony SLT-55 and RX-100 away, and we share with my wife our PEN E-P5 and E-PM2 and stuff. What I really like in m43 is the combo of quality and size/weight. IMHO the best camera is the one you keep with you everywhere and you like using it.