Why did you choose Olympus over Panasonic?

russell

Mu-43 Regular
I am yet to buy mine but for me it is between an EP-2 and GF-1, and I will choose the EP-2 at present based mainly on two things, 1) in-body IS (I have a modest Zuiko OM lens collection I want to keep using) and 2) the visual form of the body. I would still keep using my OM10 today if it could somehow magically sprout a ccd and an SD card slot. Given the great reviews for Panasonic's MFT lens offerings, the GF1's form would probably be good enough to sway me were it not for the lack of in-body IS-- given my predisposition to legacy lenses.

macjansson

Mu-43 Regular
The build quality of the EP-1, I assume that the EP-2 is equally good, is enough reason to chose the Olympus in my opinion. I don't know if Panasonic uses the same dust filter as Olympus but I know that Olympus uses the best dust filter available. I consider this to be a very big advantage for the Olympus cameras.

riri

Mu-43 Rookie
E-P2:
-aesthetically pleasing in the eyes
-IBIS
-multi exposure
-art filters
-higher ISO
-better jpeg output
-heavier but gives you better stability
-superb EVF
-more dials

although GF1 has better lens kit, built in flash and faster AF
but hey i think my 17mm is good enough and i got the FL-14 flash on my kit so hey suddenly the PEN has better "in-built" flash and i don't care with AF as i use MF most of the time. doesn't mean GF1 is a crap camera, it's great! i was about to choose GF1 over EP2 but more control and creative capability had sold me to the E-P2.

ZephyrZ33

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My reasons for going with Olympus are more "emotional" than rational:

1.) My grandpa and father both spent their last photography years with an Olympus.

After years of Canon, Konica, Sony and various brand P&S's I was ready to continue that tradition.

2.) My first experience with m4/3 was from my friend's Pany GF1 with the 20 f1.7 pancake and it was great but...

I couldn't wait to have that pancake on an Oly body. It seems superficial, but a part of me believes it gives our circle more credibility if we draw experiences from various makes.

3.) Considering it's availability at retail shops, I knew more people are going to own the PEN series.

This commonplace factor leads to more peer-to-peer, as well as third-party aftermarket support. There are quite a few "Laymen" folks out there who know what an Oly pen is, but have no idea Panasonic is in the same market. This product awareness will attract casual users if I need to re-sell.

All and all, I'm glad Oly and Panny are making m4/3rd's. It is more of a positive symbiotic relationship than competition. I'm inclined to believe Panny made more money off their 20mm pancake than the GF1. :tongue: Maybe one day I'll pick up a Panny body to reunite with the 20mm f1.7 I already have.

-Z

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
In-body IS
Better color management/profiles
Price
and I could get a kit with with a prime lens and optical viewfinder

QualityBuiltIn

Mu-43 Veteran
Kevin Spacey sold it to me - I don't want to be the 'camera guy' but I do want a camera I can engage with. Quite literally more than a compact (although I might have bought the brand new XZ-1 if it had been out at the time) not as cumbersome as a full DSLR.

gracefruit

Mu-43 Regular
I've been a loyal EP1 owner for a little over a year. From the moment I first held it in my hands, I loved it and still do. It was a joy to use, and I was inspired. I began taking a lot of photos and learning more about photography. As my skills improved, I wanted to try new things (like a flash and EVF), so I bought a G1 just before Christmas. I've heard a lot of good things about Panasonic, and was very excited to have one.

It is a very nice camera, but I don't love it and I really can't say why. It works beautifully, but I can't take a decent shot with it for anything. It just doesn't give me the same inspired, happy feeling that I get from the Pen, and that had translated into every shot I've taken with it. It's now boxed up and going back to the camera shop to be exchanged for an EPL1 with an VF2. This experience has taught me that, for me, a camera is an extremely personal thing. Sometimes there isn't a tangible reason we love one and not another.

Kristopher

Mu-43 Rookie
Several years ago I read an Ansel Adams note regarding composition. His methods for composition were, to say the least, impressive.
And very inspiring.

So I packed an old, used Yashica and according to my critics, I did very well with composition. Nice to know I was getting it. Thanks, Ansel. However, left brain/right brain disputes kept me from learning the ISO, WB, and aperture relationships. I never brought the photo quality up to where it matched the content.

Enter DSLRs.
Pleh. Far too many bells and whistles, not to mention a new proliferation of gear snobs seeking to suck the fun out of photography.

And "prosumer?" WTF is that?
Oh. OK. I get it.
Spare me.
I just want to shoot.

I missed the Yashica.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Enter Olympus E-P1.
What a teaser. The look, feel and function left Panasonic at the curb.

I was ready to buy. Nonetheless, I focused (no pun intended) not on camera gear, but fine tuning new life skills brought by having a new wife. Priorities, you know. A year later we're peas in a pod. Everyone is smiling with new routines.

The EP-2 sits ready on the desk. It returns me to my youth. The nostalgic flavor of the camera invites me to pick up where I left off years ago. The ISO, WB, and aperture settings are no longer the enemy.

horaceunit

New to Mu-43
I used an OM-1 film camera back in the day so that was one consideration. I liked the in body IS and the ability to use legacy lenses (I still have that OM-1 and 50mm lens!). I had a Canon XS digital without video and was considering moving up to a newer Canon body. I realized I wanted something more portable and had actually looked at Canon G12 and similar point and shoots. When I first saw the m4/3rds cameras I really began to research those mainly because of the ability to use different lenses. It finally came down to the E-PL1 because of the built-in flash. I do a lot of family/vacation shots so the flash was necessary for me. I knew if I went with M4/3rds I was going to be replacing an entire line so the decision for me was to go with a camera line that I already knew and trusted- and that was Olympus. No disrespect toward Panasonic- am I just more familiar with Olympus. I sold off the Canon and lenses and flash for an E-PL1 with the kit lens, a 40-150 (oly) zoom and EVF. So far I love it!

DesertRose

Mu-43 Regular
I started with Oly because I liked the JPG engine. Now I shoot RAW and I like the Pany GH's because of the integrated EVF.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom