Why did you choose Olympus over Panasonic?

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bought the E-p1 as it looks jewel like, also it has in built i.s.. I also got it at a really good price. I had wanted one since I first saw them, I have not been disappointed.

Kkrome

Mu-43 Rookie
IS with vintage lenses

I went for an E-P2 in order to use my older lenses (Nikon & Leica) with a body that has IS built in.

johnny9fingers

Mu-43 Veteran
As an Olympus OM shooter, the Pens were a given. I did quite a bit of research but I have a level of trust with Oly, and really like the look of the pictures right out of the camera. I hate to do post processing so wanted the ability to take pictures I would like right from the camera. I started with the E-P2, but sold it and now have the E-PL1, and love that camera. The real surprize is how much I shoot in iAuto, and enjoy using the "Live Guide" to make adjustments. It's simple, quick and gives great results.....
John

Al.

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alan
does it matter? I chose pany but would have been happy with either, its the final image that counts. And either are quite capable.

richiebee

Mu-43 Regular
It matters to me. I can only buy one and I want to get the right one. My choice is EPL1 or G10. That's what I can afford. The EPL1 works out more expensive here once I've added the things I need from either (that is EVF and something in the region of the 45-200mm lens that I can get with the G10 as part of the kit).

I compared images between the two on DP Review (they do a great comparison thing), and the EPL1 won in almost all cases, and they were neck and neck in the others. It never lost on image quality. I prefer the ergonomics of the G10 and so far, by enough of a margin to get it over the EPL1, despite the apparent improvement in image quality of the EPL1.

I wanted this thread to help me choose, and so far it is.

R.

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Interesting question.

I didn't, I chose the GF1 over the Olympus offering.

I felt that both cameras I was considering (GF1 and EP2) offered the core of what I wanted. Decent sensor size, RAW output, access to a reasonable lens selection and manual control when I needed it.

Detail selection came down to my style of shooting, what I shoot and where I might grow.

The key element to me was the user interface. Here I felt that the arrangement of the buttons and dials on the GF1 was better for me.

I regarded IBIS as very nice to have, but not at the expense of interface, and certainly not essential. It's especially nice with legacy lenses, but then I have observed that most of the good legacy glass managed to achieve a good rep without being stabilized...

I very much liked the EP2, but overall it felt less responsive, less snappy. This is not to say that it is not responsive or snappy, but that the GF1 felt better in this regard. This, allied with the interface, really grabbed me. It is utterly intuitive in action (I rarely use menus, so logical, easy to use controls are essential) and I can operate it on 'feel', which is what I was used to with my Canons.

Finally, a few photographers I respect for their thoughtful analysis, and more so their wonderful photographs, felt a preference for the GF1.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I actually considered both pretty carefully and went back and forth a few times before I decided. Ultimately, the jpegs, the IBIS, and the quality of the Oly evf were the main factors.

Regarding jpegs, within a week or two I was shooting all RAW, so that shouldn't have factored, but I didn't know that before I bought the camera.

Regarding the evf, I was actually sort of thinking about the Pany G1, so that comparison was roughly a draw. But I sort of liked the look/feel/idea of a pen / gf1 form factor that wouldn't always have the evf onboard, and at that point the better evf on the epl1 and ep2 relative to the one for the gf1 was a small factor.

IBIS was probably the big one. I just realized that we didn't know a whole lot about what lenses were gonna be available (this was in March, so no reviews of the 9-18 or 14-150 yet) and I figured with a Pany camera, I'd pretty much have to buy Pany lenses for anything longer than the 20mm. With an Oly camera, I'd have my choice of Oly and Pany lenses because of the onboard IS. This was ultimately a pretty huge factor, probably THE factor that swung me when it was all said and done. And I'm glad I did, if for nothing other than the 14-150, whose size and weight I really prefer to the Pany 14-140. I wouldn't use either of those lenses that much, but when traveling, they're the backbone of the system and I was really happy carrying the 14-150 around Europe for 3 weeks and I wasn't very happy carrying the Pany 14-140 around my hometown for half a day when I tried it. I suppose I made this more of a factor than I needed to - the 9-18 vs 7-14 decision wasn't really affected by the camera. I have a Pany 45-200 anyway, so that would have worked with either camera. But on the superzoom, it mattered. And, honestly, I think the IBIS really helps when shooting with the 20 in really low light situations - not absolutely essential, but helpful and extends the range that much more.

I have no regrets. I'm sure I'd have been plenty happy with a GF1 if I'd gone that way. I'm very happy with the ep2, having gone this way. Its all good!

-Ray

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
R.
Thanks for the post. It explains much.
I would do the Epl1 over the G10. The G2 is again another story. Your also talking about 2 different form factors
Which do you prefer?

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I love the superficial nature of many of the reasons here... quite refreshing!

R.
It's the basis of a lot of consumer choices. Why do I drive a Honda and not a Subaru or Toyota? It could be because I first got laid in a Honda or I like the placement of the radio knobs or the fact that the dealer gave me a better deal. I think most consumer decisions go that way. It's after we buy whatever it is we buy that we come up with the justifications of how it was better because of this or that.

The Olympus PENs and their Panasonic equivalents are so close that I think it just comes down to what YOU like. I don't honestly think one is better than the other.

...now, where's my Hello Kitty 50/1.8?

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
At the time I decided to go for a light kit only the E-P1, the G1 and GH1 were available. I chose the G1 because I wanted to have a viewfinder and I couldn't see myself holding a camera at arm's length to frame, focus and shoot. And I would have to have reading glasses with me all the time ...:frown:.

Later I took an Olympus E-P1 in my hands and didn't like it at all. The only thing I regret is that I didn't buy a GH1 instead, only later I learnt that its high-ISO performance is better. Concerning the lack of IBIS with legacy lenses: I don't care, the hassle with manual-everything puts me off anyway for normal picture-taking. So far the Panasonic lenses seem to be at least as good as the Olympus ones, so no second thoughts yet, but I'm looking forward to a better Panasonic telezoom than the 45-200mm.

I'm eagerly awaiting photokina and the announcements before it, I sure hope there will be GH1 successor and/or an exciting Olympus offering; I already have saved up some money for that!

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I picked up a G1 and it was a good weight, all the controls fell naturally to hand, the grip was good, and it was nice to hold.

Then I picked up an E-P2 and fell in love.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought it because of the quality of the electronic viewfinder. I want to use a camera at eyelevel, and wanted a small camera to use with my manual focus lenses. It is a good companion to the m8.

Kapekodder

Mu-43 Regular
Absolutely relied on the compatibility issue for all the standard 4/3 lenses that I have for my E dslr bodies. The size of the m4/3 cameras and weight factor for a more casual use attracted me, but the Olympus ability to use my older lenses comforted me in that I've grown attached to using them. I recognize the high quality of the Panasonic bodies and lenses, but it does not make sense for me to buy into a system that balks at Olympus lenses that I own.

Additionally, there is no question that I wanted something with an ovf or evf. Olympus hit the homerun with the VF-2! Coupled with form and ability, Olympus has continued to earn my loyalty as I make the transition:)

I think the topic of IBIS has been covered. The JPEG engine gains high kudos. Even though I tend to pp in Lightroom. Art filters amuse me and work really conveniently. Did I mention the form ( :thumbup:)?!!! Liked it enough to try the E-P2 kit ; incoming :wink:

blackSP

Mu-43 Regular
Because the retro EP2 look and feel, hefty build quality and combo with the Panny 20mm pancake is a real winner for me, the <s>best</s> fun & maybe best camera I had in 35 years (counting from when I was 12).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom