Why did you choose Olympus over Panasonic?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by richiebee, Aug 16, 2010.

1. richiebee

richiebee Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    St. John's, NL, Canada
    I don't want to influence any answers by giving any more reason for my question... would like as many different opinions as possible.
  2. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Loved old style shooting...with digital brain.....

1. available light shooting....no flash in E-P2
    2. shoot with both eyes open....EVF or OVF
    3. legacy lenses - manual focus and manual aperture...so IBIS is a must
    4. non intimidating to subjects....small retro design...
    5. modular...switch to compact for wifey...remove EVF and mount 17mm pancake....later switch to "DSLR" like with EVF mounted and lots of prime and zoom lenses....
  3. Optical Thrombosis

Optical Thrombosis Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    I have been a lifelong Olympus user since the OM-1n I had as a boy.

The industrial design and quality of Olympus product is excellent.

I was an E-System user before I moved to m4/3.

The E-P1 is gorgeous and looks and feels like a real camera, not a modern compact (ie the GF1).
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    good looks and IBIS...plus i prefer my camera to be made by a company with a photographic heritage rather than one of cheap hi fi and microwave ovens.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009

• Like Like x 4
  6. saycheeze

saycheeze New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2010
    I switched from GF1 to EP2 because of richer and warmer skin tone from out of camera JPEG pictures out of olympus.
  7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    I didn't

I use Pany exclusively, for work and pleasure.

I have 2 G1's, and all the mu-4/3 lenses, and a fast 4/3 prime as well.

8. porkphoto

porkphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Olympus won out for me because of its in-body IS, now instantly all my legacy Nikon lenses are image stabilized.
  9. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    IBIS and smaller lenses

besides, the PL-1 is a nice point n shoot, when wanted. I am a newbie in photography.
  10. richiebee

richiebee Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    St. John's, NL, Canada
    Thanks for all the answers so far... all very interesting and I haven't even seen the one that I was expecting.

11. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Were you expecting the marginally faster AF in the Panny systems and higher res screens? I think its just a personal preference. My images look slightly different when I switch from my E-30 to my GF1 (better skin tones and deeper blues and greens in the Oly), but shooting raw takes each camera's JPEG processing out of the equation. I do like Panny's kit lenses better than Oly's but that's easily remedied too.
  12. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I chose Panny because Olympus doesn't offer any large-body mirrorless cameras like the Panny G-series.
  13. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Originally the art filters, interface, build quality and IS were a factor.
    I had the Pen1 and also a G1. Sold the G1 for interface issues and got a Pen2 to work with the Pen1.
    Having the same interface is a big plus.
    Now, I don't care about art filters, IS etc. I just picked up a G2. I am thinking about the GF1 because of the interface match.
    They are all good cameras. They all do the job.
    It's about preferences to decide on one against another.

I think the real answer to your question can't be answered yet. When the new cameras are announced, then we'll see what the manufacturers have learned. The one that listened and followed thru will get my vote.
  14. BartonFlyer

BartonFlyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    Bolton, UK
    Picked up an E-P2 in a shop - I just wanted it, it felt RIGHT!!
  15. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    I didn't even consider the panny. The olympus e-p1 caught my eye, the e-p2 caught my heart and the e-pl1 caught my credit card ... and its been exploiting it ever since! Why the pen range - purely aesthetics!
    • Like Like x 3
  16. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Switched from a GF1 to E-pl1 (and e-p1 for my wife) primarily for IBIS, which I am used to also being a Pentax dslr user. I got tired of missing shots I was used to getting at slower shutter speeds with my Pentax gear. IBIS is great for adapted lenses as well.
  17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It was a combination of things...

• I have 2 older OM bodies+lenses and love them
    • My Olympus DSLRs always produced very pleasing color right out of the camera.
    • I went with m43 to use MF lenses so IBIS was a huge advantage
  18. bethmcmillen2@mac.com

bethmcmillen2@mac.com Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2010
    Mena, AR
    I have been using the E330 for the last three years. I bought the EP2. I love the oly colors. I looked at the panny, but the oly colors won. I also like the size as I like to use it on vacation.
  19. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You actually get vacation? Geeze.....
  20. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

In fact I chose the Panasonic over the Olympus but i think my answer could help any who were on the wire. I did a ton of research and realize both would fit my need. I was aware of the strengths and weakness of both. When I got to the store the two packages they offered were very similar in price but the accessories were a slight bit different. My first impulse was the Olympus as its looks rocked. When I picked them up I fell in love with the Panasonic, not that it was a better camera but it fit my hands perfectly while Olympus was not as good of a match. So in the end is says more about the size of my hands than anything else.
    • Like Like x 1