Why did you choose Olympus over Panasonic?

kiynook

Mu-43 Regular
Loved old style shooting...with digital brain.....

1. available light shooting....no flash in E-P2
2. shoot with both eyes open....EVF or OVF
3. legacy lenses - manual focus and manual aperture...so IBIS is a must
4. non intimidating to subjects....small retro design...
5. modular...switch to compact for wifey...remove EVF and mount 17mm pancake....later switch to "DSLR" like with EVF mounted and lots of prime and zoom lenses....

Optical Thrombosis

Mu-43 Regular
I have been a lifelong Olympus user since the OM-1n I had as a boy.

The industrial design and quality of Olympus product is excellent.

I was an E-System user before I moved to m4/3.

The E-P1 is gorgeous and looks and feels like a real camera, not a modern compact (ie the GF1).

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
good looks and IBIS...plus i prefer my camera to be made by a company with a photographic heritage rather than one of cheap hi fi and microwave ovens.

:)

K

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:cloud-9-039:

saycheeze

New to Mu-43
I switched from GF1 to EP2 because of richer and warmer skin tone from out of camera JPEG pictures out of olympus.

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I didn't

I use Pany exclusively, for work and pleasure.

I have 2 G1's, and all the mu-4/3 lenses, and a fast 4/3 prime as well.

Bokeh

flipGTO

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all the answers so far... all very interesting and I haven't even seen the one that I was expecting.

R.
Were you expecting the marginally faster AF in the Panny systems and higher res screens? I think its just a personal preference. My images look slightly different when I switch from my E-30 to my GF1 (better skin tones and deeper blues and greens in the Oly), but shooting raw takes each camera's JPEG processing out of the equation. I do like Panny's kit lenses better than Oly's but that's easily remedied too.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Originally the art filters, interface, build quality and IS were a factor.
I had the Pen1 and also a G1. Sold the G1 for interface issues and got a Pen2 to work with the Pen1.
Having the same interface is a big plus.
Now, I don't care about art filters, IS etc. I just picked up a G2. I am thinking about the GF1 because of the interface match.
They are all good cameras. They all do the job.
It's about preferences to decide on one against another.

I think the real answer to your question can't be answered yet. When the new cameras are announced, then we'll see what the manufacturers have learned. The one that listened and followed thru will get my vote.

Briar

Mu-43 Regular
I didn't even consider the panny. The olympus e-p1 caught my eye, the e-p2 caught my heart and the e-pl1 caught my credit card ... and its been exploiting it ever since! Why the pen range - purely aesthetics!

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Switched from a GF1 to E-pl1 (and e-p1 for my wife) primarily for IBIS, which I am used to also being a Pentax dslr user. I got tired of missing shots I was used to getting at slower shutter speeds with my Pentax gear. IBIS is great for adapted lenses as well.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It was a combination of things...

• I have 2 older OM bodies+lenses and love them
  • My Olympus DSLRs always produced very pleasing color right out of the camera.
  • I went with m43 to use MF lenses so IBIS was a huge advantage

[email protected]

Mu-43 Rookie
I have been using the E330 for the last three years. I bought the EP2. I love the oly colors. I looked at the panny, but the oly colors won. I also like the size as I like to use it on vacation.

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
In fact I chose the Panasonic over the Olympus but i think my answer could help any who were on the wire. I did a ton of research and realize both would fit my need. I was aware of the strengths and weakness of both. When I got to the store the two packages they offered were very similar in price but the accessories were a slight bit different. My first impulse was the Olympus as its looks rocked. When I picked them up I fell in love with the Panasonic, not that it was a better camera but it fit my hands perfectly while Olympus was not as good of a match. So in the end is says more about the size of my hands than anything else.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom