Why did you choose Olympus MFT?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 012abc, Jul 14, 2017.

1. 012abc

012abc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2017
    When you first started out, what made you gravitate toward to and eventually choose Olympus as your MFT system?

Thanks.

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    because 4 years ago the em1 was (one of) the best mirrorless cameras out there. better body, fast af, quality lenses. 4 years later the situation has changed quite a bit, with tough competition from Sony and Fuji.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Not the whole reason, but I do remember reading this Lens review: The Olympus ZD 45/1.8 and thinking wow, that lens can produce a wonderful image, is affordable and (very important to me at the time) small, especially if I were to buy an equally affordable E-PL5. Of course, I didn't realise at the time that the author of that piece didn't publish any of his images unless he'd gone through a very extensive PS routine with a tablet and pen and was acknowledged around the world as a first rate photographer but no matter!

Edit: I've just seen the post below about David Thorpe - same here.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    David Thorpe told me so...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    For me, I was looking for a camera that was small, flexible, that is shoot macro, wide angle, and long zooming capability. I was tired of using a large DSLR, and having to spend a boatload of money on nikon glass.

Point and shoots were small, but not flexible, they lacked the ability to shoot RAW. Other platforms like Sony lacked lens selection, and so I found the MFT platform to offer a good mixture of great camera bodies, nice lenses at a decent price.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    PDAF on the E-M1 so that I could use 4/3 lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Panasonic...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I have lenses and bodies from both camps. I have an Olympus because I like the OM-Ds for a 'larger' camera versus Panasonics.

9. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Because I was going to buy 17 and 45 1.8.
    Needed a camera, felt natural having a Oly camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I sustained an arm injury some years ago. I had photography jobs that I could not cancel on.
    I was unable to hold or actuate my Nikon DSLRs for some months and needed an alternative.

I went to my local camera shop and checked out all the options. It eventually came down to 2 mirrorless camera bodies - the Fuji XT1 and the Olympus EM5.
    The EM5 would win out for the following reasons:
    • AF speed was far superior to the XT1
    • System operation speed was far superior to the XT1
    • tilting LCD on the EM5 was a necessity
    • ability to do instant MF override of lenses was a plus to the EM5
    • focus/shutter actuation from the rear touch screen
    The first and last bullet points above were the big 2 things that I needed.

The other thing that kept me in m43, specifically the Olympus brand is how closely I could tailor it to how I work with my Nikon DSLRs. It makes the transition from one to the other more intuitive. I looked at the Panasonic options, but never quite liked the controls or the EVF layout, so took a pass on it at the time.

I've included a link below to a review I did comparing the XT1, EM5 and the Fuji X100.
    Best Light Photographic BLOG: Fuji X100s, Fuji X-T1, Olympus OM-D EM-5, Olympus OM-D EM-5 – My Comparison

• Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Because in 2009 the EP1 was the first mirrorless ILC that was really sexy (IMO). I wanted a smaller camera, but the Canon G9 was just not cutting it as a supplement to a DSLR.

This little silver thing from seemingly 30+ years ago even had a COLLAPSIBLE LENS!

The factors were
    1) size and quality of output (compacts were smaller, but quality was terrible)
    2) looks and sexiness
    3) exploring something new
    4) adapting old lenses

12. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 15, 2014
    At the time, E-M1 was the only camera anyone made that had the features I want, mainly tilting touch-screen, 9 fps, enough programmable buttons, good sensitivity & fast enough lenses, good flash support, and small enough that I don't mind carrying it everywhere.

13. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    size + IBIS + ability to adapt lenses

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Rugged, weather sealed (better than most DSLRs), primarily designed for stills not video

IMG_1146-1836x2448.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Wow Wow x 1
  15. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    IBIS, size and image quality of enlargements. I knew that I wasn't going to get into hauling a massive Canikon and lenses around - been there, done that during the film days.

16. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Former OM-1 and Pen F (film) owner so I was genetically predisposed to like Olympus.

To be honest, price was the biggest draw ;) My E-M10 (during one of the near constant sales) was half the price of a Fuji X-E1 which was what I was really looking at and lenses (except the 12/2) were cheaper, too. Add in faster focusing, IBIS and a better flash system and I was sold.

17. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    IBIS and sub-par experience with an old Panasonic P&S (FZ10K I think, it was in the early 2000s, can't remember exactly).

18. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    While internet researching compact cameras for my wife, I got to thinking that photography would be an interesting hobby to get into, that it would be something we both could do together, and that it dovetailed nicely with many other of our interests. I quickly realized we should ditch the compact idea and go with something more capable. At the time, the E-M5 had just been released and was getting rave reviews. I certainly didn't know much at this point, but what I read sounded revolutionary, and it was still fairly compact - which was what my wife wanted originally. Also, to be honest, a major selling point was that I thought the picture of the silver E-M5 looked absolutely beautiful, and different from all the DSLRs I was also looking at. I just kept going back to look at it, So, I got one and a 12-50 kit lens. I don't use that kit anymore, but I'll never sell it.

I consider myself very lucky that I got into m4/3. Sure, it's what I know and am used to, but it wasn't just confirmation bias that I bought into the right system. I've certainly wondered what else I was missing, and occasionally was frustrated by some of the (especially earlier, and one still lingering) limitations of the system. I went to a Canon APSC 7D Mkii with L glass for wildlife for a couple of years. It was a great camera, but I never gelled with it and preferred Olympus for every other genre. Nowadays, especially as the OM-D camera and Pro lens lines mature, and as I came to understand the true compromises that one has to choose with any camera system, I realize that the ethos behind m4/3 fits my preferences perfectly. I used to think I should try full frame to complement m4/3, but I've learned exactly what I would gain and what I would lose, and I no longer have any desire to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Olympus is one of the few camera companies that makes their own underwater housings (or at least sells them under their name). Even better, their housings are well made and much cheaper than most 3rd party housings. A few years back a friend sold me her E-PL2 / housing, and here I am.

20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    At the time and still the case; lens selection, price, and size. In that order.

I was going on a vacation and looking something smaller than my D700 w/ a Nikon 28-105 to take. I didn't want a point and shoot. I did want something with options if I decided to go beyond a basic kit. M4/3 had the options, Olympus had a cheaper starting entry price.