Why did you choose 4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by photoeagle, Jan 2, 2016.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Purchasing a camera in 2016 is my goal. Curious why did you choose mirco 4/3 over a a DSLR.
    Or why did you switch?

2. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I wanted a serious camera, but to me and very clearly, a big fat huge DSLR camera with giant lenses was not going to get taken out at every opportunity. So when EVFs arrived in a small format, I knew this was for me. 2 years later I know it has paid off.

Actually my EM5 is the same size as my full frame OM 2 that I bought in 1979. The EM1 is worse. Olympus are pretty sloppy. Panasonic and Sony do compactness properly though.

Incidentally, weight wasn't a factor. I didn't realise how heavy DSLR gear was until later.

Then there are some mirrorless and 1 inch sensor cameras with that crazy 3:2 panorama ratio. Making the lenses 25% bigger than they need to be. Why?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Fully intending to get a Nikon, I originally got into 4/3 DSLR in 2006-7 ish based on price/features/build quality/reviews. I was very amateur then. 4/3rds served me quite well and I eventually migrated to M43 due to size/lens selection/features. I wasn't completely converted from DSLR til the EM5, because it had a decent EVF...the EM1 took that to a level that equaled DSLR.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I had a DSLR but wanted to try tilt photography. Tilt lenses for my DSLR started at over £1000, while a tilt-able adapter for my lenses & a used G1 came to £120 much more affordable!

Having tried the G1 it's advantages (mainly light weight & adaptability) grew on me, so I gradually expanded my system. I now use µ4/3 most of the time & leave my DSLR for intensive shooting occasions (airshows/motorsports etc)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I bought my E-M1 because I wanted a small camera that I'd never mind taking anywhere, I wanted professional features like 10 fps and enough external controls, I wanted a tilting touch screen for waist level and ground level shots, and I didn't care about getting depth of field as shallow as FF below f2.

6. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I had been shooting Canon DSLRs for several years. In 2010, I started a picture a day project and found the Canon too cumbersome to carry around everyday. I discovered M43 online and bought a GF1 with the 20 1.7 lens. I used both systems for a couple of years, until I upgraded to the OM-D EM5, and found that I didn't really need my Canon gear anymore. I sometimes miss full frame, but I think that the small size, weight and lower prices of M43 make up for it.

7. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

My reasons, roughly in order:

1. Size/weight of cameras and lenses
    2. Availability and relative price of lenses.
    3. IQ for $
    4. Ability to use my existing Canon fd lenses (which, ironically, I couldn't use on my Canon dslr.)
    5. Cool retro design. :thumbup:

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wanted a camera system that I could carry everywhere (size, weight), with a great lens selection at decent prices for the IQ they offered (web, 18in prints).

9. PhilippePASCAL

PhilippePASCAL Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    Started with an XZ-2 Oly (compact) f1.8. Very impressive pictures for a 1/1.7" compact.
    Still love it, and use it.
    After that, E-PL5 (one of the best bang for the buck ever). And now, E-M10 to replace E-PL5 ;)
    -i LOVED Olympus rendering (colors, contrast...) after using XZ-2. I use RAW only on 1/10 pictures.
    -IBIS, so i can use legacy lenses with stabilization.
    -small size and weight.
    -integrated EVF and general WYSIWYG spirit, in a compact form (focus peaking, focus zoom...)
    -good enough sensor (i know what i loose on this side...and i don't care)
    -better lenses than Sony can make. And less expansive than Fuji equivalent (body and lenses).

SlingShot 102 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
    My very small Lowepro SW102 slingshot contain :
    -E-M10, with one lens mounted + another battery
    -Flash FL36 + batteries (very nice size for M43)
    -20/1.7 Pana
    -14/45 Pana
    -40-150 4-5.6 Oly
    -50 FD 1.4 Canon legacy
    -Close Up filter (Oly a Life Size, a forgotten gem)
    -Cokin mount with ND, Pola... and some others filters
    -Wansen remote (for flash OR camera)

If i remove Cokin mount/Wansen remote, i can put my XZ-2 as backup camera in the same bag ;)
    Try to do that with a DSLR or mirrorless with APS-C sensor.
    Size is not camera body (NEX/Alpha bodies are VERY small). But the lenses. You need glass to cover a bigger sensor.

Especially when you see m43 small primes and the new kit/zoom compact ones (like 12-32).
    My "old" 14-45 is very "big" by "nowadays" m43 standard. Those days are gone :2thumbs:

If i buy more legacy lenses, i will need another bag, twice bigger :D

My problem is GAS, not m43 :biggrin:
    PS : i just bought an FD Canon RJ focal reducer for Christmas :roflmao:

10. RMills

RMills Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2014
    I shot Nikon for years, after hiking 5 miles with a D610, pro glass and big tripod I decided I needed to downsize. When I saw Oly's new pro lineup, I was sold. No regrets, my top 2 selling prints at my shows last year were both shot with my M4/3rds gear. (I like the retro look too :)).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. RMills

RMills Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2014
    Forgot to mention the Mirror slap from my Fx DSLR scares away the birds in the backyard!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. PhilippePASCAL

PhilippePASCAL Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    I found my E-M10 even more silent in zero antishock mode :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  13. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

Four thirds has been my format since 1981, when it was 110 film and my SLR was the Pentax Auto 110. Adapting lenses was one of the main reasons, and still is. The cameras are the right size for me.

14. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    For some reason, I always equated DSLR cameras with rich tourists on foreign holidays adorning the huge strap around the neck carrying a gigantic heavy camera box with huge produding lens sticking out like a sore thumb. Just not something I felt comfortable with. But when I saw the size of the E-PL5, it's low cost, the images it was capable of and the lenses available (this game's all about the lenses), I was sold. These are my core reasons for investing in M43 which I always remind myself of in times of G.A.S syndrome.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Size was a factor. I started with the PEN E-P1. The improvements that came with the 16 MP sensor were enough to keep me around. The collection of small primes for $500 or less added to the overall package.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I needed a new camera, I wanted one with interchangeable lenses, and I wanted another Olympus.

17. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    Whenever I was on a holiday, more often than not I left the DSLR behind as I was just too lazy to haul it around only to rue later at all the missed opportunities. So started the the mission to choose a small camera that could be small and portable enough to be taken anywhere with acceptable IQ. Enter the the GX-1 with 14-42 kit lens which quickly grew to 25 1.4, 14 2.5, 7-14 4.0, 9-18 4.0-5.6, 45 1.8 plus GX-7. Last year I did my dream Europe trip with nothing other than my m43 kit and not once did I miss my FF and DX Nikons. Hopefully I will acquire a 75 1.8 and be done once and for all in m43.

18. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Size and weight for travel. My DSLR camera bag was twice the size and almost 3x the weight of my current m43 bag. When I traveled with my DSLR, I had to make choices about what went and what stayed home in order to keep everything in my carry-on backpack. That problem is no more and the image quality hasn't suffered enough that my consumers have even noticed.

19. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I wanted a camera system that was smaller and lighter than a FF DSLR. Once I saw a large print from an E-M5, I was sold on the concept. The EVF was an unexpected bonus for adjusting exposure and seeing the result in real time. Now I've gone from an E-M10 to an E-M1 and my wife is using the old E-M10.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I bought into M43 for small size and low weight and that's still my preference. I like the small primes like the 14, 17, and 45. I use the small zooms like the 9-18 and 14-42. My preferred every day body is the EPL5, but I do like the EM5 for event shooting. The EM1, GH4, and GX8 as well as the 12-40 and 40-150 PRO zooms are all too large for my tastes. I got more lenses than fingers, Never going to switch now.