Why did you buy the OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm curious what sold you, personally, on the OMD. Doesn't matter what camera you came from, I'm just wondering what features on the OMD really spoke to the people here and convinced them to lay down $1000+ on the credit card. The poll allows multiple options, but please try to pick the two or three most important entries only :)
  2. aage

aage Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012
    The size of the whole system, the weather resistance, the image quality.

I travel a lot away from my home country, I love photography but tend to leave the big lovely Nikon D3x along with some great lenses at home bc of bulk and weight. To me the OMD is a dream come true, small , nice handling and a very good image quality.

Even if the olympus isn't in every way as good as the bigger cam, its very good and at least its small enough to bring along without thinking.

Yes thats about it from my perspective :).
  3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

+1 :2thumbs:
  4. klarity

klarity Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I purchased the OM-D's as a replacement for my FF cameras. The jury is still out on action photography, but, the Oly is showing very well on most everything else. Still low on the learning curve as to settings and adapting to the EVF. The more I use the little guys the closer the big guys are getting to retirement.

6. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    It was the first m4/3 camera that I saw that could possibly replace my D300 in terms of handling and usage. I shoot in all weather, and like having physical controls and a viewfinder. I have some niggles still (getting muscle memory for button placement, trying to figure out Oly controls after a decade of Nikon) but it's getting there.

The E-M5 may not be capable of everything that my APS camera is, but it is capable of doing everything I need it to. The E-M5 fits my shooting style and is much easier to pack and carry than a DSLR with grip and metal 17-55mm f2.8, meaning I'm much more likely to have the camera with me.
  7. rodsky77

rodsky77 New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2011
    1. EVF
    2. Dynamic range
    3. Lower noise at higher ISOs

I first bought the e-p3, and realized that I miss the viewfinder of my D700. I liked the output of the e-p3, but I really need the viewfinder. Will be selling the e-p3 as soon as I get the OMD in my hands, all orders are late. Now that I have the 20mm, 45mm, and the 12mm, I have a pretty capable setup and don't have to feel bad about leaving the D700 at home.

However, I will not sell the D700 and my set of lenses as the OMD can't really match it for quality and speed, but it's a great system to always carry with you to never miss any opportunities.
  8. Printfolio

Printfolio Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    Kortrijk, Belgium
    Other. I bought it as a replacement for my very much missed Contax G-system.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    A few highlights:

- Sensor
    - IBIS
    - Articulated OLED touchscreen
    - Build quality (inc weather proofing)
    - External controls and handling, and...

...the way it all works together so well as a package
  10. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    1. Size. I love my Nikon D7000 with battery grip, but it's too if for my briefcase.
    2. Viewfinder. Absolutely required.
    3. Interchangeable lenses.

My E-M5 is scheduled to arrive Wednesday!
  11. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    In my last entry, that was supposed to read that my D7000 is too BIG for my briefcase.
  12. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    EVF, weather sealing, size and weight

Love the aesthetics of it as well. Previous owner of EP-1 and EP-2. VF-2 was on EP-2 100% of the time and the OM-D ties it all together.
  13. aage

aage Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012
    And also

Just wanted to add , Because the OMD is Modular ( the grip in two parts ) Its easy to pack it even tighter and in a smaller bag, then when your there , you just assemble it and you have a great camera with 2 battery┬┤s and a nice handling.
  14. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    I voted:

-IBIS (necessary for someone "unsteady" like myself); and
    -viewfinder (also a bit blind)

I'd say the whole package appealed though...the contraction...the weather-sealing...the sensor/performance (obvies)...the external controls.

I'm coming from an epm1, so pretty much everything was an upgrade (aside from the weight).
  15. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I bought the E-M5 because I got a big fat tax refund

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I answered the poll questions along those lines, but really it was the camera as a whole that sold me, and that's the reason I bought one as a complement to a GX1. I had been casually using a GF1, but a once in a lifetime trip this summer where I probably can't use my Nikon DSLR gear even if I were willing to carry it has focused me on a lighter weight, more portable approach that should give me high image quality without risking my back :D or being turned away from events.

I had been thinking of m43 as pre-war LTM. I think the most recent bodies (GX1, G3, OM-D) arguably move it up into post-war LTM, which is pretty neat. There's also the possibility that I'm underestimating where m43 is at this point, though I still don't see it replacing my DSLRs for several things that are photographically very important to me.
  17. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I suppose you could have included the rebates in your poll as well.

I was just wondering about how the sales might drop off now that the first wave of people that wanted one has been satisfied, and the rebates are ending (for now). The better than expected initial response will leave them thinking that they can leave the prices at MSRP and not have any incentives without seeing a drop in sales. I suspect that might be the case for a short time, but by Christmas they'll be wondering what happened to sales of their big winner, and hopefully will come back with something to get the second (or third) wave of buyers to come to the table.
  18. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    In short the OMD addressed nearly ALL of the foibles of the Mft format for my taste. I abandoned it before after have a G3 among other models. I was pretty much stuck in the DSLR format for years and supplimented it with a NEX-5N. I got the itch for smaller and lighter then. When the OMD came out I had my doubts, but a few hours with hands on at the dealer was all I needed to prove otherwise. I'm now a happy owner of one and haven't missed the DSLR nor the NEX.
  19. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I always choose the design that serve the functional and aesthetic in compact form. I don't mind if there's a little compromise with it. That's the sole reason I jump to m4/3 system. And I tend to go with it for a very long time.