Why Did My Post Count Just Drop???

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As some of you are aware, there was a recent attempt to scam one of our members out of over $500. Fortunately PayPal made sure the member got his money back.

As a result of the attempted scam, we've made a few changes. The first was to add the notice shown on this page with a prominent link to tips to avoid getting scammed.

The second change, and the reason why some members may notice a change in their post count, is that Buy and Sell forum posts no longer count towards a member's displayed post count. The reason for this change is that many people use the post count to get a quick sense of how much someone has participated in the community, and those members who have a ton of Buy and Sell posts and very few (often zero) posts outside of that area haven't participated very much!

All of a member's posts including their Buy and Sell posts will of course still display in the post history, which can be viewed by clicking "Find all posts by [username]" in the statistics tab of the member profile.

If anyone starts a new thread asking why their post count dropped, please link them to this thread. Thanks.
    • Like Like x 10
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Thought I was slipping when I glanced at my count - memory drifts away with age. This makes sense now, thanks.:biggrin:
  3. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
  4. goshxii

goshxii Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2011
    Bronx, NY
    Good I found this thread - just literally recounted all my posts...thought I was going crazy. Maybe makes sense to put the info somewhere more visible, I think I'll be not the only one.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'll make an announcement.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    It should also be noted for those who are mainly here to buy and sell -- build up your feedback in transactions, and that would be your reference base, even if your forum posts otherwise are low,
  7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I frequent a large uk games forum, and there are people who've been trading on there for about a decade, but who don't post at all on other sections. There are people with hundreds of posts, who are pretty much just ****ehawks who trawl the place for cheap deals and the flog them to ebay. I might suggest we implement something similar.
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    True. I'm always wary of the people who have had lots of listings, many of them marked completed weeks before, and little to know feedback.
  9. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bill, I see you're now down to 2,645 posts. Does this mean you're going to give us a party :tongue: (since you've already given yourself a 3,000-post party.)? :biggrin:
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I'm not here to mainly buy and sell....:smile:
  11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I wish I had hit 1k pre drop! Then I'd hit 1k twice!

Oh well :)

Good idea tho!

- Eliot@Austin, TX
    • Like Like x 1