Why did I ever get rid of my Panasonic GF2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The GF2 was the first M43 camera I ever owned. I sold it and since then I've probably owned several Micro Four-Thirds cameras. Recently my wife went on a trip and I wanted to get her a camera with a pop-up flash, fast AF, good video and sturdy body...ideal for on-the-go travel. Since GF2 bodies are selling so cheap used, I found a minty body for way under a $100. Even though the GF2 is considered dated tech in camera years, I've rediscovered just how good this "old" camera is! My post processing and M43 shooting techniques have improved since first owning it, but now I feel I can extract the most out of camera! Makes me wonder why we are spending so much money buying new gear? :wink:

Here are a couple shots of my daughter with the GF2 & 20mm 1.7 ver. I - All shot in glorious Panasonic jpegs :tongue::

BTW - For those wondering, my daughter had a traditional haircutting ceremony to celebrate her transition into childhood where she had a party and received gifts, hence the buzz cut. :smile:
    • Like Like x 18
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'll add that little camera is built like a tank, I've dropped it onto concrete a few times. Other than that I did not really like using it, it's like taking pictures with a brick. I preferred my G2, same sensor but much better ergonomics and handling. I do agree with you about the obsession over the latest gear, but that's been discussed to death. Photographers and artists will continue to make art. Gear heads will continue to acquire gear.
  3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have Nikon FF gear for work, so I do prefer the little brick M43 bodies for personal and family snaps! :wink:

Plus I slapped a half case on mine, so it handles a bit better now:

The AF is still pretty darn good compared to modern mirrorless cameras. Panasonic got mirrorless AF right out the box. Even with the slowish 20mm 1.7, I was able to get quick snaps of my kid running around!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. agpr

agpr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Heraklion, Crete
    Congratulations for your daughter! Very nice portraits :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    i totally agree with you. Better spending in lens, not news bodies. Because prices of bodies drop dramatically, not lens. i consider buying lens as an investment. i have 3 GF1 (black, white for me and grey for my wife).
  6. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I regreted selling my G1 though I made a small profit on it, I found it a nice camera and it looked funky in the red. Mind you they are going for so little now I could always get another as a spare at some point.
  7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agree about the lenses! The 20mm is a classic though!
  8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I did spend a brief time with a GF2 and 14mm f/2.5 and I must say I loved it except for that shutter sound hehe :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The differences between older sensors and new sensors are really only noticeable at the extremes: high dynamic range scenes, low-light, high-iso, and very large prints or heavy cropping. For the more typical daylight shots, you really do need to pixel peep to see the difference.
  10. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I love the colors in the second picture
  11. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    wonderful photos of your daughter! And I learned something new, thank you! I didn't know about haircutting ceremonies. Looks like she had a great day :)

Completely agree about using "old" equipment. Cameras from the last few years are so good, it makes pretty much no difference for most of us most of the time (only a difference to our bank accounts :) )

My wife and I went to the beach yesterday and I didn't want to pack a lot of stuff. So I grabbed the GF3 that I got super-cheap bundled with the 14mm from Amazon (I actually only wanted the lens :) and stuffed it in my bag. Pretty happy with the results, really glad I kept that camera...

Cape Lookout Beach by tilman paulin, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Some of my best images came off the E-PL1. I've been through at least half a dozen m4/3 bodies since, and I really have to wonder some days.
  13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    At ISO 100, my 2010 model E-PL1 gives me more landscape detail than my E-M5. The E-M5 is a vastly better video camera, however. My dream camera might be the E-M1 if it can give me the landscape detail of the E-PL1 plus better video than the E-M5 (less moire and artifacts, hopefully).
  14. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    Yeah - I would believe that my photography and post-processing have improved tremendously since starting out with digital many years ago.

I find that my recently-acquired GF-1 is still a great camera...and I use it alongside my E-PM1. It's permanently glued to my fisheye - the GF-1 has a great feature where after you take a picture, it can preview the recent shot and also zoom into a central area to check focus. This is awesome, especially when using a manual lens like the fisheye.
  15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I've got a silver GF2 for anyone clamoring for one!!
  16. MarinMervis

MarinMervis Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2013
    I think you made a mistake.
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I've got an old GF1 and because it takes video that's playable straight in the Telly it has a good "niche" in my arsenal.
    It also has really snappy processing (some stuff inside is way upgraded from the G1) and also does Dynamic B&W which is a beautiful Jpeg feature : newer G/GF cameras dropped "multifilm", rendering them practically useless for what I want.
    I guess this thread has turned into an older camera appreciation thread :)

My e-pL1 is also my default landscape camera.
  18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  19. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I keep meaning to start a 'First Generation M43 Images' appreciation thread for GF1/G1/E-P1 pics.
  20. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    GF2 is great little camera especially when paired with P14/2.5. My only complain would be against AWB, but it can be tweaked easily ;)