Why can't I control exposure compensation in Manual on my em5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D@ne, Jun 19, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    As the title reads, why can't I control exposure compensation in Manual on my em5? Is this the case on a "normal" DSLR? It's frustrating!

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    exposure compensation, in essence, is a manual override of the automatic controls. If you were to set +1 compensation for instance, the camera adjusts either the aperture or shutter speed the equivalent of +1 stop to compensate. Since you are in manual mode, you are manually adjusting the compensation by adjusting the aperture or shutter speed yourself, hence, no exposure compensation - you are already doing the compensating!

Edit: yes, a DSLR would behave the same way.

• Like Like x 3
  3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I hadn't noticed that adjusting the exposure in S or A mode changed values...interesting.

4. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    It does change the EC values in M, unless you have the camera set to Auto-ISO. In that case, it will always adjust the ISO to have an exposure just as it is metered (0 EC)

5. aage

aage Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012
    Iceland
    Auto ISO ??

I myself had a trouble when in ASP mode, when I tried to adjust the exposure , nothing happened no matter if AutoISO on or off. I´m still learning the camera , What I found out was that if I did go to The setting menu , then DIALS , there it was set for both adjusting the flash and exposure same time. I changed it to only +- instead of the flash sign and the +- sign.

Now everything works normal, I just flip the rear dial for under or overexposing.

Hope this helps. But as I said , I´m myself finding out how to use this Wonderfull camera ;-).

Happy shooting.

6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Auto ISO is greyed out when in Manual on my camera...is it not supposed to be? :confused:

Also, when in Manual, adjusting the shutter/aperture changes the light meter...but that's not the same as exposure compensation, is it?

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    When in manual mode the exposure compensation indicator becomes a light meter indicator, telling you both in number and bar graph how far off you are compared to what the camera THINKS is the right exposure. By adjusting shutter speed or aperture one click, you are doing manually what the camera would do automatically when you change the exposure compensation.

Normally in A or S modes the camera would make the decision on how to balance the exposure...you'd choose one setting (aperture in A mode, shutter speed in S mode) and the camera would choose the other. If the exposure is not right, you would have to COMPENSATE for the camera's decision with the exposure compensation (same goes for P mode except the camera chooses both settings). Because in manual mode YOU are making the decisions, exposure compensation would be useless as you are choosing how to balance the exposure.

As for AutoISO being grayed out, again you are in Manual mode and you want to fully contol the exposure...you don't want the camera to make any exposure decisions for you!

• Like Like x 1
  8. aage

aage Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012
    Iceland
    You can get Auto ISO in M manual mode also .

Custom menu , Exp ISO , ISO-Auto, Select ALL

Then you can have auto Iso in manual mode to.

• Like Like x 2
  9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Thanks all!

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is the best explanation in this thread. Look at your meter... if your Aperture and Shutter Speed settings give you a +1 EV on the meter, then you have just manually dialed in a +1 EV exposure compensation. ;)

11. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The problem is if you have AutoISO enabled the camera will override your exposure and defeats the purpose of manual mode and having FULL control of the exposure.

In the studio I set my camera to 1/125 f/8 ISO200 which is the proper exposure for my strobes.

Now if I used AutoISO the camera will look at my low ambient light level and boost the ISO to my max setting (1600)...when it comes time to take the flash exposure it will be 3 stops overexposed blowing out my shot.

ISO should really be your FIRST setting choice depending on the lighting conditions and the type of picture you want to take. When using AutoISO, the camera chooses the ISO AFTER you have chosen shutter speed and aperture, IOW LAST!

Also if you are trying to learn photography with AutoISO you won't get the results you are expecting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I have one more potentially stupid question...

Is AE/F lock not available in Manual mode?

13. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Manual mode turns off auto ISO and disables EV compensation. You've told the camera you're going to set the proper exposure via direct setting of shutter speed, aperture and ISO. This is how all my Pentax dSLRs have worked, and I assume is standard dSLR behavior.

14. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Don't know about that one but I'd assume AE lock is pointless as you're setting the exposure. AF lock should work though.

15. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Just to add a little grain of salt, in "ye olde times of film lore", there were sometimes an exposure compensation system even on manual cameras (so-called semi-auto to indicate they had an inboard lightmeter).

This system would basically override the iso selector (and be coupled with it). For instance dialing +1 on the compensation system would shift the iso from 100 to 200.

Cheers,

Mauve

16. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You can defeat this by going to the exposure menu, going to AutoISO, and selecting ALL where it say P,A,S by default...although it's not a good idea to do so since it defeats the purpose of having manual control over exposure.

17. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Since I grew up using an OM-1, the idea of manual is ideal to me.

But with digital cameras, the fact that one can change ISO in addition to shutter speed and aperture any time, is awesome....

except I cannot figure out a good way to make it easily accessible on the OM-D yet.

In Manual I use the default of the two knobs -- one being shutter speed and one being aperture. I sure as heck wish there was a third knob, that I could use to adjust ISO by touch, while my eye is at the eye piece.

Anyone crack this nut?

18. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    as the OP seem to be doing, I miss a designated compensation button. Working in manual, auto iso on is effective IMO, but crippled if I want to compensate... Pentax has a designated mode for this, TAv I think they call it. I wish I had it on the em5...:(
    as a workaround, as I usually overcompensate and pulling exposure down in pp, one could adjust the meter to half stop over in the settingsmenu, perhaps?

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's not pointless, as you still have the camera's meter reading to refer to in manual mode.
    It's certainly less likely to be used, but only because people shooting in full manual are less likely to rely on the meter. Many use Manual mode because they want to "shortcut" to settings they already know will work. Some even use an external meter.

As far as Auto-ISO in Manual, that is effectively "ISO Priority". As with any priority mode, it would make sense to allow compensation for that.

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While I do not own an E-M5 (yet), I would say that exposure compensation is an override of the meter reading (and subsequently of the recommended automatic setting in P, S or A). On my D300, you can dial in an exposure compensation in Manual, and when the meter is zeroed, it will have accounted for whatever compensation you have set. Yes, you skip the exposure compensation and use the meter scale, but it is much easier to adjust the reading to zero when you are operating in a hurry. So, unless I am misunderstanding the OP's question, I would have to say that my DSLR does allow exposure compensation in Manual.

--Ken