1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why Canon FD adapter works w/ Canon, not FD Vivitar

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Crdome, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    My FD adapter properly controls aperture settings on all my Canon lenses, but on none of my Vivitar FD lenses. Is there a reason and a fix?

Thank you. -Chrome

2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I keep hearing comments similar to this with FD adapters and I have never understood them. Properly connected to the adapter, the lens's aperture ring works fine. There's no reason to use the sliding-control on the adapter for it. *confused*

Beyond that, I'd wonder if the aperture blades still worked. Have you tried the lens on a native camera and tried to use the aperture ring?

• Like Like x 1
  3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My FD adapters work with my Canon FD, FDn, FL, Vivitar, and Tokina lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Do you know if your Vivitar lenses are working correctly? Vivitars are notorious for oily blades and getting stuck wide open.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Let me speak to you on my experience and solution with this same problem.

I understand why you would think that , and in theory you should be correct. However based on my practical experience this is not always true, and i have had the same problem with not only Vivitar but other 3rd party lenses in the FD mount. Alternately I have also had many Vivitar and other 3rd party lenses that worked properly on my FD - µ4/3 adapter.
    OK so let me tell you about my own personal Discoveries and how I fixed it.

..... Hmm.........God this is too much to type.. let me Actually Tell you instead.
    Here!

Sorry if my voice is a little funny, I used the internal laptop mic, and for some reason it makes my voice sound Higher than on other recording devices.

OK

Now after listening to that if you cringe at my solution another way to go is to remove the pin i spoke of and replace it with a longer screw or make a longer pin. I thought of that 1st.

• Like Like x 1
  6. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    It might be the adapter your using, every fd fit lens ive bought work 100% with my adapter I bought on eBay from hong kong for about £21. I cant think of any other reason why they arent working as they should

• Like Like x 1
  7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Possible but I doubt it.. I had called the company I purchased my adapter from, because I thought the pin on my adapter was made too short accidentally, they had me remove it and measure it (its easy , like a screw) and it was the same length as their others. I just think a few 3rd party lenses are slightly off on construction or worn down more with usage by now.

8. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

Had the same problem. The adapter would basically mate up to my Vivitar 24-48mm, but the mounting ring would not release to lock in. Instead, I pushed a Canon rear cap onto the Vivitar lens just to release the ring. Then removed the rear cap and (while keeping the locking ring close to the mount orientation but not allowing it to lock back in) mate it back up to the adapter. Turn the ring as usual. Should be good to go.

Not sure why the adapter won't quite release the ring on the Vivitar - but there must be a release that some adapters are just thick enough to activate, while others don't quite do it.

9. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    This is the same one I got but this one is from china and mine was from hong kong and mine works with all Vivitar FD fit lenses ive tried on it Canon FD FL Lens to Micro 4/3 M M43 M4/3 Mount Adapter | eBay

10. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    RDM, Thank you on many levels, especially the "HERE" button that led me to your audio step-by-step. I waste hours trying to express myself using the written word, often to no avail. You succinctly described the process with ample warnings.

In this situation on the three lenses the pin and lever appear exactly positioned. I now have the 135mm/2.8 and 75-205 macro working, but the 28mm/2 defies all attempts. I gave they AE-1 bodies to my daughter who still is an avid film photog, so have nothing to test the wide angle on. Hopefully when the photo students return their diverse camera makes at the end of the semester I can find a body to test it. It's a nice piece of glass that I hope works.

-Chrome

11. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks Montaggio. I tried all the offered solutions and have 2 of 3 working, but not the 28mm/2 which is the one I really want.

-Chrome

12. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
  13. icy_se7en

icy_se7en Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Adapters can look identical but have minor flaws but that is reading from other peoples experience as my one and only FD adapter has never gave trouble :)

I would recommend buying another adapter though just to see if it works.

14. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    The FD adapter works on 3 native Canon lenses and now, 2 of 3 Vivitars. Time to investigate the lens. Though nearly all my other lenses have their own adapters, I too have only invested in one adapter for the batch of FD lenses. They are all redundant of other lenses so I will unload them when time allows.

15. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Nice talk-thru of your problem.

When it's too short, try slipping a piece of plastic tubing (from a ball point pen) over your pin to make it longer.

And if it reaches the lever, but the aperture still won't fully close, then the adapter ring doesn't have enough rotation in the lock position. Various ways to address that.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1