Why camera manufacturers ought to be worried

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by robbie36, Nov 21, 2012.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I saw this blog on the number of photos taken every year since photography was invented.

How many photos have ever been taken? | 1000memories

It has risen exponentially and now every man woman and child on earth takes the equivalent of 60 photos a year.

You would think with this massive exponential growth in the number of photos being taken it would be a good time for camera manufacturers. But it is not. In fact camera sales outside of smartphones are hardly growing. The question is what will happen to the industry when the growth in the number of photos being taken slows as it inevitably will.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Depends how you read the data I guess, and I think you're getting a bit muddled with 'camera sales' and 'number of photos taken'. I don't see any slow-up in the number of photos takes, and I'm predicting continued exponential growth in the number of photos shared.

Over the last 10 years 'high-end' cameras have become much more affordable (I remember reading an review about the Canon 1000D when it came out that was basically along the lines of "OMG it's under $1000, squeeeeeeeal!!!" - now there's oodles of dSLR/CSC kits well under $1000) - this affordability and strong pre-GFC economies meant that every man/woman and his/her dog/cat in the western world was buying a dSLR. That spending spree was never going to last and I guess things are plateauing in those markets now, hence the slowdown in sales (I noted you said 'hardly growing', which implies that there still is growth...). But then there's the rapidly growing Asian middle-class, and gee they like their cameras...

I think there's incredible opportunities for the industry at the moment, but the players that make the most of it are the ones who realise that it's an industry in transition - there's all sorts of new stuff going on like mirrorless, mobile photography/uploading and so on... Sony/Olympus/Panasonic seem to be on a winner with mirrorless, Samsung seems to be in a good position for mobile/wifi but I'm not convinced that they 'get' photographers (even consumer photographers), Nikon seems to be making better dSLR's than ever but risks missing the boat on new tech, and Canon seems to be resting on its (very significant) laurels.

That's my jumbled and very ilinformed opinion :smile:

3. I think it might be more the case that photographers don't get the fact that Samsung makes cameras.

4. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    shot with my little p&s Samsung ST76, a $90 camera.

oct6-14.

• Like Like x 2
  5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    With your eye it does not matter which camera you use. Your pictures are always awesome. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1