Why are pictures of camera items for sale on places like eBay so poor?

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I agree with the above. There are some sellers who go the distance with high quality photos to present their products as best as possible. And there are the ones who just want to unload stuff as fast as possible, and are not really good at selling. Thus, if the photos look bad, I look elsewhere. There are tons of sellers and some are better to buy from than others. If a deal is too good, caveat emptor.

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
There are some sellers who go the distance with high quality photos to present their products as best as possible. And there are the ones who just want to unload stuff as fast as possible, and are not really good at selling.
I always frame it this way: if someone took the time to clean up the item a bit and take nice pictures, they also probably took the time to properly care for their gear. The other person, not so much!

Fairly unrelated, but have you ever browsed home listings and come across ones with trash photos? Come on! If you're trying to sell something worth hundreds of thousands of dollars don't try to save a few hundred because your phone has a camera...

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I always frame it this way: if someone took the time to clean up the item a bit and take nice pictures, they also probably took the time to properly care for their gear. The other person, not so much!
I don't know about that. They could just be trying to make it look better than it really does using dramatic lighting.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
To be fair, I have seen for sale ads here in the mu-43 Buy & Sell forum lacking photos at all sometimes or having very poor shots. You would think a forum dedicated to photography, that the users could at least muster up some level of effort to photograph their items properly. But alas, no, even here we often get poor product photos.
those sellers are "upgrading" to better equipment (aka Full Frame) so their images would be better? ;)

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have no issue with phone photos. But you gotta have a little light. I much prefer basic photos that clearly show the item. No artistic merit is necessary.

It's funny, I just was looking at a camera+lens for sale on another forum. One shot is the camera with all accessories, box, etc. at a distance. Nice shot, but provides no value beyond seeing what is included. Other photo was landscape shot to ostensibly show off the capabilities of the camera, but it was edited (which was called out by the seller). Kudos to him for his honesty, but what good does that do anybody?
I've added shots made with the equipment before. I consider myself to be at least slightly above average as a photographer, so if someone can see what is possible with a camera, maybe they are more interested. Obviously I can't be sure if it helped (I did get what I wanted for the camera and higher than average selling price) but it surely didn't hurt.

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have sold a couple of lenses for spares or repair, and added some large detailed pictures with the listing. I ended up getting more for them than I expected.

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
I don't know about that. They could just be trying to make it look better than it really does using dramatic lighting.
Well, as someone said above, caveat emptor. That's not the only thing that goes into the decision process!

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
Do you think this is dramatic enough lighting? ;)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(not sure about protocol here but if you want to see the rest look on Ebay)

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I always think that if you show and describe the item accurately, even if there is a bit of dust, there will be far less returns, as the buyer has seen what he is getting. With eBay or local TradeMe I also try and include the serial number in the photos, in case the buyer decides to try and return a faulty item as the one you have just sent them.

Real Name
Richard
I have sold a couple of lenses for spares or repair, and added some large detailed pictures with the listing. I ended up getting more for them than I expected.
Take care with spares or repairs listings. They must be described as 'for spares only' in the new/used etc section.

I had one recently with ended badly: a Canon Speedlite 420 EX. Mint, other than the fact that it would charge but not fire. £19.99.

Purchased in East Anglia by a part-time astrophysicist (and full-time pillock) called Jon, who successfully argued that it was mis-described since it was not 'repairable' by himself. Ebay said I shouldn't have set the condition to 'used' even though they accepted that the item title and written description was plastered with bold references to 'fit for spares or repairs only'.

This person's feedback indicates that he had returned a number of purchases for the same reason, only retaining things he could easily repair in his flat.

Real Name
Steve
Take care with spares or repairs listings. They must be described as 'for spares only' in the new/used etc section.

I had one recently with ended badly: a Canon Speedlite 420 EX. Mint, other than the fact that it would charge but not fire. £19.99.

Purchased in East Anglia by a part-time astrophysicist (and full-time pillock) called Jon, who successfully argued that it was mis-described since it was not 'repairable' by himself. Ebay said I shouldn't have set the condition to 'used' even though they accepted that the item title and written description was plastered with bold references to 'fit for spares or repairs only'.

This person's feedback indicates that he had returned a number of purchases for the same reason, only retaining things he could easily repair in his flat.
Ha! There are idiots everywhere. I remember reading reviews of premium walking boots, someone left a one star rating, because they pinched his toes - er, try buying the right size, I thought.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Ha! There are idiots everywhere. I remember reading reviews of premium walking boots, someone left a one star rating, because they pinched his toes - er, try buying the right size, I thought.
Yup. Some folk are downright thick. I sell opuntia ficus india cuttings for A$15 (all other prickly pear are illegal in Oz)......................full pads between 20&50cms each, clearly stated in my ad. I have images of the individual pads and also the parent plant at 4 metres tall and 3 metres wide with accompanying text to show how tall they can grow in the space of 3 yrs. I've had innumerable folk rock up to buy, in normal cars, who express their disappointment because they thought it was the parent plant for sale..................errrrrrrrrm? 1. The ad is clear :rolleyes: 2. That big a plant for $15? :shakehead: and 3. how the feck did you think it would fit in your car anyway? :rofl:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom