1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why are people dumping m4/3 gear??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ajamils, Jun 4, 2013.

1. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    I am surprised to see a sudden influx of m4/3 gear in "Buy & Sale" forum. Before we did not have a single Panasonic 35-100 for sale on forum and suddenly there are a couple. Also, there are a lot more for sale threads where people are dumping there entire m4/3 collection (including me).

What's going on? Is there something that I do not know about?

2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Ok. So why are you dumping your gear?

For some, it's just a hobby, and they want to try something new/different.

Me, I never dump anything unless its broken, even if I don't use it much/ever.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Normally I subscribe to the old adage that if you don't know, ask someone! Since you are selling all of your gear, why not also start with an explanation of why that is?

Anyway, the forum grows and the marketplace is free, more gear for sale is inevitable. You also have a group of users that is fairly committed to photography and a large part of that is trying out new gear, and inevitably selling what you don't like/use. I don't see any increase in overall activity in the for sale section myself, and what is being sold is random as it ever was.

4. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    The reason why I am dumping my m4/3 gear is because I wanted to try something new (been using m4/3 since GH1) and after trying out Nikon D7100 I wasn't too happy because I missed a lot of features of m4/3 (real like live view, articulating screen etc) so I picked up Sony SLT A99.

5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    It's usually when newer bodies are coming that people dump their old gear. (And that's when sharks like me go in for the kill. :biggrin:)

But yes - why are you selling your gear?

6. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Posted the reason just above your reply :)

7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Well... now that you bring it up. I'm out and about in Spain and I've been checking out what other people are shooting with. For me, it's a RX100. Love it. Haven't seen another though. By far what people use are their smartphones. Some people use their tablets. Of the "better" cameras, the majority are SLRs. Mostly DSLRs but there are plenty who still shoot film. Of the mirrorless cameras, I see a lot of NEXes. Almost exclusively so. I have only seen one M43 camera, an Olympus pen. No Canons/Samsungs/Nikons.

I remember seeing more mirrorless cameras a year or two ago. Seems like DSLRs have made a come back.

8. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Yep, I had a similar observation few days ago when I went to the Zoo and Sea World. All I saw was CaNikon cameras and couple of Nex... not a single m4/3 user. Hell, there were more people taking pictures with iPads than mirrorless cameras :dash2:

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think the more significant issue is your use of the word "dumping." When I sell stuff, I don't usually consider it dumping, and since I always sell at a significant loss, I usually consider it "gifting" moreso than "dumping." Somebody is gonna get a good deal. Why I do it - as someone already mentioned - I wanna try something else and need to raise revenue sometimes to acquire it.

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Honestly, it's probably upgrade season, sell off the old churn in the new. Some of us LOVE churning equipment.

11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Fortunately, my cameras don't know or care about what's happening in the outside world. They just make same photos that they did for as long as I remember :smile:.

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Upgrade season, I like that term!

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Standard stuff.

Go to FredMiranda.com. I've been shopping there since 2008. People posts things like "Selling all my Nikon! Moving to Canon" which is right below the post that says "Selling all my Canon gear" which is right below the post that says "All my Pentax lenses must go!" etc.

btw -- in 6 months, the guy who sold all his Nikon stuff is looking to buy it all back.

GAS and gear churn -- it's easier than actually taking pictures! (and I know this personally, as a major offender)

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    For me it is really about circumstance - I want to have a camera with me as often as possible, and m4/3 is great for that. But when I want to get out and take photos, there is something about bringing a larger camera with an optical viewfinder to my eye that makes the experience that much more enjoyable.

15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have you seen the prices? That's not dumping until the prices are 25-35% lower then maybe. Gotta be less tha n50% of list before the "D" word gets bandied about.

I think now we are seen a bunch of folks that are dabblers who jumped in and now are jumping out just as quick as they went in. Some people are never satisfied so they churn.

Besides, what do you expect to see in the buy/sell forums - testimonials about how they will never sell their gear?

16. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That is an interesting take - I really enjoy an optical viewfinder myself, the d600 has been quite a nice experience. I haven't tried out the A99 at all, but that is a pretty spendy camera for what is likely/essentially the same sensor as the d600 - at that price it would be a no brainer for the d800e for me!

17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    LOL! :biggrin:

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What until the EM6 is announced, especially if it's before the XE2 or the NEX7c/n/r or whatever.

Imagine -- PDAF on a chip, maybe even enabling C-AF, the integrated VF4. Who knows -- maybe even dual card slots. There are lots of folks dabbling in the other systems. They'll move to the EM6, until the XE2 and NEX7c/n/r comes out. Or Maybe even Canon's new M series, lol!

19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    What makes me shake my head is when I'm standing next to someone with a DSLR and a huge lens at night at the edge of a big square. They use the little pop up flash. That's not going to help. It's right up there with the people that set their smartphones to make a big camera shutter noise when taking a shot inside a quiet church. I set my RX100 to be as quiet as possible. It's a barely audible click to me. I doubt someone 4 feet away could even hear it.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: