1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why are Micro 4/3 cameras so noisy?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by stratokaster, Nov 14, 2011.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    And I'm not speaking about random-colored pixels ruining pictures at higher sensitivities. I'm speaking about sounds our cameras produce when taking photos. They are loud and distracting.

A friend of mine recently bought the Nikon D7000. This camera is much quieter than any Micro 4/3 camera even when shooting in the Continuous - High mode. In the Quiet mode, it's whisper quiet. And it actually has a mirror swinging up and down!

I expect some people to say that the Nikon is a beastly camera and its large body muffles the shutter sound. But the Samsung NX200 is both slimmer and much quieter than the Olympus E-P3 which has the softest shutter of all Micro 4/3 cameras.

Why can't Olympus and Panasonic give us quieter cameras?

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I don't know the reasons why, but have owned a few Olympus D-SLR's, and they were quieter than my E-PL2 - very, very annoying.... I know you can't have a silent shutter without a fixed lens, but quieter would be much better....

3. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Oops. Wrong forum section. I ask the moderators to kindly move this thread to an appropriate section :redface:

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I guess it's just not high enough on their priority list. Look at how loud a Leica shutter is... then look at the styling that the Olympus PEN cameras take after. I don't think they consider quiet to be a prime concern for their target market.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur - I like the distinctive shutter click of my E-P1. Just personal preference, I guess.:biggrin:

6. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    Unfortunately yes, as a wedding photographer, it is impossible to use Olympus pens during the ceremony, just too much of a distraction. Lets hope the next gen m43 cameras have a "Q" shutter or a better damped shutter mechanism.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Maybe you should ask why Olympus cameras are so noisy. I don't notice my Panasonic being particularly loud.

8. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    My Panasonic GH2 is louder than the E-P3.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    So, this is why people give me funny looks when I bracket?

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'd love for a quieter shutter..sure the camera is inconspicuous but taking the shot can be very noisy and attention grabbing. :(

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It doesn't bother me for what I do, and it's quieter than the Canon DSLRs I shot with, and quieter / better pleasing than the first generation NEX cameras I have used, but I do agree I would like a quieter camera because I want to start trying candids in quieter places, and I'm not comfortable with my Pens for this purpose.

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Good point! All of my M43s - GH1, GH2, GF2 - are like mice that roar! Where is that global shutter?

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the G1 is so loud (and shakes during actuation) that I thought someone had put a mirror inside! The gf1 is loud, too.

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Focal plane shutter vs. leaf shutter

15. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    That's only half the story. My Pentax K-5 (with a focal plane shutter) sounds like it's kissing photons.

16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Every time I see someone carrying on about the rapturous sound of their K-5 shutter I want to buy one.

17. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Doesn't bother me. Compared to the "beep beep" of the guests autofocus confirmation on their Canikon's my GH2 is positively silent. And it's as loud as my Pens.

Gordon

18. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I think I'm 90% of those "someones"

- it's the sound of a gentle gust of wind
    - it's the sound of a beautiful woman blowing a kiss
    - it's the sound of angels passing gas

don't blame me, my iPhone sent this

19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    +1 on the shutter sound of the K-5. :smile:

20. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Actually you can have a silent shutter on an ILC, as shown by Nikon's new 1 system cameras. I hope we eventually see the option to have a 'virtual shutter' come to m43, these cameras are just too bloody loud in some circumstances. Yes you get a loss of quality I suppose (a mechanical shutter ensures even illumination across the frame, given the 'rolling shutter' effect CMOS sensors have) but I think it would be a worthwhile tradeoff.