Why all the anti M 4/3 bias?

mjw

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Matt
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I have photographer friends..who seem to think my choice of gear is not as good as their gear. FF. Reminds me of the old Nikon vs Canon arguments. I have never heard of artists arguing over which brand or size paint brush to use.

I just don't understand why it bothers some FF shooters so much, that M 4/3s is popular. It's not like FF dslrs are going away anytime soon.

Oh, I've never had that happen IRL. It's always some photography forum or another (DPR, FM, etc). In person, we don't talk about gear all that much. Except this morning. I was wandering around the UW campus around dawn trying to frame a good shot (without another photographer in it) and was approached by a photographer who was also shooting an E-M5.

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
People have always fear the unknown, it's natural. Changes are hard to make.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Photorebel

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff Mims
A good photo will be a good photo no matter what equipment was used.

:thumbup:

Truer words never spoken!

I have made some embarrassingly bad photos..with expensive equipment in the past with expensive equipment (Hasselbad film) and some good photos with cheap equipment ( Pentax K1000 and 50 mm lens, I bought used for $50.00 )

The photographer creates the photograph, the camera is just a tool.

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It is the most simple answer that is the better. They try to discredit what will overtaken their system. The same is true for everything in this world.
The mosquito is small but it can drive the human mad...

Snowy55

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Barry
I come from the TalkEMount forum and haven't noticed any M 4/3 bashing there. I also don't really care what camera you use to take a good photo. It is a tool as has been said. I am highly likely to buy an OM-D soon as I think it will suit my airshow and other longer telephoto needs better than the Sony A7. That doesn't mean I am bashing the Sony FF system. I intend to use two cameras with differing strengths. When discussing equipment there must be some level of debate about the pros and cons of each. I think the trick is to keep it civil.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
I think it depends where you are. M4/3 is well respected on the Nikon Café. I find m43 and my Nikon stuff to be the perfect match of tools for me. But then I really like the two forums. I like FM but it can be very "rough and tumble" at times, just not quite as insane as DPR:).

Bingo!
And yes, Nikon Cafe' is VERY MICRO FOUR THIRDS FRIENDLY! :cool:

zlatko-photo

Mu-43 Veteran
No matter what camera or format you use, someone has a bias against it. And someone will feel that it's overpriced. It's just a fact of life.

Zee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Surry Hills, Aus/ Baguio & Manila, Philippines
Every system has it's pros and cons. There are things I don't like about M43 (I actually don't like the 4:3 aspect ratio, but that's OK, I'll adjust, and crop if I must) and I would prefer a shallower DOF... but on the bright side... Smaller camera, smaller lenses, less weight, IQ better than my 7D, AF that actually seems to work reliably without worrying about micro adjusting...

I think some people are just not capable of understanding needs of other people. As an example (and this isn't, and wasn't bashing, in this case, I think it was just a genuine point being made) - I posted about wishing M43 bodies had double the battery life - and another member was curious why this was such an issue, as it only takes a moment to swap the battery, and they are not exactly bulky.

I then pointed out that I scuba dive, and it's tough to change a battery 30m under the surface of the ocean... Now my point made sense.

I really think most bashing comes from not being willing to understand that another person needs are significantly different to their own.

On another note, re the DOF argument... A pro wedding photographer friend (who switched from Nikon D3's to 2 x EM-1's and a Fuji XT-1) made the point that he thinks people are using super thin DOF to cover up the fact that they can't compose a good photo. Taking photo's of a chip in a chair with creamy bokeh covering up the fact that it is, actually, a hopeless photo.

Whilst clearly not always the case, I do think he has a point. Every system has pro's and cons, I think a good photographer learns to work with the pros...

As they say...
"New photographers worry about gear. Pros worry about composition. Masters worry about light."

Z...

mister_roboto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dennis
Except this morning. I was wandering around the UW campus around dawn trying to frame a good shot (without another photographer in it) and was approached by a photographer who was also shooting an E-M5.

Slightly off topic- but that could have totally been me... except it wasn't, but I was out there taking shots with my E-M5. I missed 2 other µ4/3 users!

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
I got it as well when I was asking why to switch from my E-M5 to a Sony NEX7 I wanted a better more "grippy"camera was actually waiting for the "new NEX7" replacement. Could not get much answered on Sony forums besides bashing the mu43 format. :confused:
In the end I decided to "ditch" my E-M5 for the E-M1 simply because I wanted the best of it all and the feel of a real grip and the remote control over the phone. It saved me from switching an entire format yet again. (I came from a FF 5D Mark III 8 months ownership)

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well when one lens or body cost more than an entire system, folks just expect perfection:)

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Technology has come such a long way in recent years that I don't think anyone can go wrong with what they choose. It boils down I think to lens selection, performance, and ergonomics. I think the latter is why there is so much Panny vs Oly in many forums is due to ergonomics. I think when it comes to image quality in many of these systems, we are splitting knat hairs.

PandaSPUR

Mu-43 Regular
Its human nature in my opinion.

I've seen similar "hate" or "bash" on the GM1 from other m4/3 users who assume its an overpriced toy.

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran
Slightly off topic- but that could have totally been me... except it wasn't, but I was out there taking shots with my E-M5. I missed 2 other µ4/3 users!

Well, it's a good thing you didn't run into them. I believe three E-M5 users in the same place would create a MFT singularity point with cataclysmic consequences! Think dogs and cats living together! Chaos!

:)

dafloyd

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Dirk Essl
Go to the Leicaforum and ask about a cheap remote flash trigger. Then come back and laugh about m43 bashing :) I gave up Leica because of all those ******s and arrogant people that use it and spend way too much time on forums, bashing all other systems or giving no-advices on questions.

I love all my gear. Nikons, Canons, Pentax. But I always carry a m43 body with me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom