1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why all the anti M 4/3 bias?

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by Photorebel, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    Technically…they are professional photographers. If they are doing a job, which is pays their living expense, then they are professional. In my mind, professional does not mean..better, or mastery of the craft. Only that they are making a living taking photographs.
    However, I have seen work by many "amateurs"..(those who don't make their living in photography) that just blows away..the work done by many "professionals. "

• Like Like x 1
  2. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    That's the part that bothers me, people who have never used the system, dismissing it as a toy, or strictly amateur point and shoot system. If someone tests out the system, and doesn't like it, that's one thing. But don't knock it till you've tried it. I have read several blogs, portrait/wedding shooters..who love the micro system. Often it's not their only system, but they use it quite a bit for paid work.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'd consider mall photographer as professional as circus sideshows, shoot the ducks and the like. They are given their 'studio', lighting setup and how to position it, the camera a tripod and then it's all about spruiking to get those baby shots.

No disagreement about amateurs producing sensational photography; when you have absolute freedom, that's when you can shine. Doing it for a living, full time, can often mean losing that freedom. Been there, done that.

4. jasjb

jasjb Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2014
    Not an olympus-specific issue.

• If you've invested money in a system, you are most sensitive to the critisism.
    • I see fan-bois for every brand and system blindly defending it, rather than accepting every camera/system has good and bad use-cases.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Do you know what other shoots they do besides mall shoots? - That's a pretty strong statement that you've made...

• Like Like x 1
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Buying camera gear is a sunk cost, not an investment. Unfortunately, many don't realise.

7. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    This thread reinforces something I have believed for a while: "Objective Photographer" is an oxymoron.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Sorry, I don't have a clue what you're trying to say here.

NEX as small as PM2, OK I guess. But the GM1 is smaller than both. What's the point? There seems to be an implicit assumption that the NEX is superior in every other way--is that what you're trying to say? And what does this have to do with supposed anti-m43 bias (the subject of the thread)?

"Best system right now bar none is Sony"--really? I've got cameras from both systems (NEX, m43) and it's not even close--m43 is by far the best system. The NEX is a great body, but the lens selection for NEX is far inferior to m43. This strikes me as just another example of anti-m43 bias, but I can't be sure because I really don't understand the point of the post. Help me out here!

• Like Like x 2
  9. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    I would argue that the hardest part of portrait photography is the photographer's ability to coax a natural smile, pose or whatever the subject matter requires out of the model. Lighting, especially in a studio is at worst an exercise in trial and error or at best, a few google clicks away and some test shots to get what you want. Getting the subject to behave or do what you want them to do in front of the camera requires the most experience and requires a totally different toolset of skills to be effective.

10. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I remember a joke.

Q:How many photographers does it take to make a photograph?
    A: One
    One to take the photograph, and 99 to say.."I could have done it better" :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. clockwork247

clockwork247 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    not talking much on the NEX system, but more so on the Alpha system... when you get into the alpha system it open up options on the NEX with adapter and AF. yes it's bigger than m4/3 but you get way more performance in terms of IQ and flash system. And don't get me started on m4/3 lens, it's way over price, they have less glass to make, and most of the lens body are plastic. You can't even adapt legacy on m4/3 properly because of the FL issue. Yes there's a place for m4/3 but it's not as "grand" as you guys make it out to be.

It's sad that olympus once was one of the best in terms of flash system have fallen so hard.

12. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

The mirrorless ******s seem more aggressive in starting brawls than DSLR users on some forums I visit. For awhile, the m43 ******s seemed the worst. The arrival of the Sony A7 and A7r seems to have taken the wind out of their sails.

This forum has some of the same "flapping mirrors", "death of the DSLR", "DSLR buyers are stupid sheep" posts too.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Many somewhat inflammatory posts in this thread. Wasting moderator time. Moved to Back Room with low threshold for locking.

• Like Like x 2
  14. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Maybe someone cross posted this thread into one of the feral forums, encouraging high pollution levels onto mu-43. There are several low-post-count contributors on this page....

• Like Like x 1
  15. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, I think so... I was shocked when my friend showed me a sharp little shot of a cluster of street signs in the camera screen. I thought nothing of it and then he zoomed out and they were very far away, almost invisible at the far end of the background of a cityscape. It was shocking! I sold my PL100-300mm after that... I am actually thinking of getting one of those cameras, although I know that just having the ability to take very sharp photos and low light photos with ease, will not make me a better photographer. Also, the number of keepers is much higher with the EM5 and EP5. Sony does not have anything like the image stabilization of the Olympus M43 cameras...

16. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Excellent post, I wish I could have written it. Yes, those Sony cameras can produce amazing shots, but it's not easy to do... The M43 IBIS system allows me to shoot far more keepers than my friend (ex M43 shooter) can do with the Sony.

17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Perhaps you should have got it repaired (the 100-300), or improved your technique to the level of your friend... :smile:

Seriously, if you had the lenses swapped and the long tele was on the Sony and the 35 on the µ4/3, you would have got the result reversed if the technique wasn't right on the long tele.

Save some money, start with a tripod.... and practice technique on long tele shots..... changing cameras is completely the wrong solution to what happened there.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    While the A7r resolution is impressive, it's not capable of the same quality as the 100-300 with that level of cropping. Not for printing. And the ability to take sharp photos - yes, but with much less ease than your MFT system. Same goes for lower light/high ISO in a lot if situations where you will be forced to use a higher ISO than you might want to prevent blur. Leith an unstabilised lens like the amazing 55/1.8, you'll want to keep the shutter speed above 1/100 to make sure things are perfectly sharp. I get decent results at 1/60, but the very high resolution places extreme demands on technique.

That said, I find it a perfect companion to the E-M1. Amazing files. Great glass. Just more demanding, slower to shoot (slower operation, start up, autofocus...), forcing me to be more deliberate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.