Why all the anti M 4/3 bias?

Real Name
Brent
Difference is threatning to many. It is fear based. And an inappropriate response to fear can turn into bashing. A local gallery is currently hosting 'The history of color photography'. I was amazed that for over two decades many top photographers and art critics refused to accept color photographs as art. Relationships were broken, people who used color were blacklisted from jobs, and so forth. Any change will usually be met with resistence of some sort. And m 4/3 is no exception.

mjw

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Matt
Well, it's a good thing you didn't run into them. I believe three E-M5 users in the same place would create a MFT singularity point with cataclysmic consequences! Think dogs and cats living together! Chaos!

:)
I actually see a lot of MFT cameras around. Not nearly as many as the Canikon of course, but pretty much every photo hot spot will have at least one or two others. Maybe because Seattle is expensive so the MFT price premium isn't as much a deciding factor (I also see way more Apple hardware than when I'm traveling in less expensive locales)?

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In response to the OP: people's lives suck and they're bored. They know deep down inside that their decisions made in life are what have put them in their current position. Yet they are and have been for years too lazy to do anything about it. Thirty years ago a job on the assembly line was a respectable, well-paid position. A mother lived a fine life raising children. Life was good and most people were content and happy.

Today, this lifestyle is nearly gone. People don't have a "good, easy life" to grasp onto anymore. And the stress of unhappiness leads to short tempers and "lashing out." So people look for another grasp to rely on to keep a positive self image. For many it's a good-looking significant other, the fun they have on their recreational vehicle, or the relationship with a pet.

For others, a portion of their self-worth is based on something material, like an iPhone, clothing, or maybe because they are in possesion of camera A. Camera A can do things better than camera B, such as being good at ISO 6400. Since camera A is all you have, you're not going to be happy that a reviewer praises camera B. Camera B is only good at ISO 3200, but the reviewer notes that since the lenses are cheaper, for some, perhaps B is the better buy. For some, A will be better.

Regardless of what's "better," if you pride yourself on owning camera A, if you see that B is better in certain aspects, to maintain his self-worth, said individual needs to lash out as the greatness of his grasp has been challenged. And the why is answered back in the first paragraph: this individual has the means to pick up some overtime to afford both camera A and B, but for some reason doesn't. He can have whatever he wants to be happy. Or he can bash others to prove to himself that he already is happy.

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have pretty much stopped reading comments at 43rumors. There's either a lot of Canon/Nikon people feeling threatened, or a couple of trolls with a lot of different identities over there. It's beyond me that they can't at least realize there are situations where m43 is more practical. Then again, they probably spend their time complaining about competing formats and hardly ever actually shooting pictures.

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The reaction is Fear.

Fear is never boring.

But fear can lead to this behaviour which is Denial.

Those who are in denial have some thoughts underneath that need to be expressed.

My advice is they can go buy themselves some m43 kit and stop being hysterical on fora!

Photorebel

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff Mims
Then again, they probably spend their time complaining about competing formats and hardly ever actually shooting pictures.
I'd believe that. I remember owning manual focus film cameras, when AF came out. Canon's new AF lenses…didn't fit the manual focus bodies. So..in time, I bought AF. Later on, I bought digital. I went all the way with m 4/3…I have no FF equipment. Did I make a mistake? If I did..so what? I can always buy another FF body. Or not.
Technology is always changing, moving forward. Take television sets for example. The older style, huge sets with big glass tubes..compared to smaller, lighter, higher def..LCD flat screens. My TV does not define me…even less so my choice of a camera, which is just a tool. A means to an end, in this case…the end is creating photographs.
I'm just saying the popularity of the OM, does not diminish the capability of FF dslrs. It just gives us more choices, and what's wrong with that?

Edcase

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Ed Case
Interesting that in the 60's Olympus introduced the half frame 35mm camera and Kodak would not process the film. A dollar bias on their part. This didn't stop Olympus who produced the the very popular and excellent Pen FT and later went to the OM family of full frames. The interesting part is look who is still around todayandwho ain't.

uci2ci

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sam
EM-5: Camera of the Year 2012.... as voted by DPR Readers, no less
EM-1: Product of the Year 2013....as voted by DPR Readers, no less

Even with all the blood and spleen being spewed on forums, mouse clicks never lie

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Negativity comes from negative emotions. Broad headings: anger, sadness, fear, guilt, and conflict.

You can combine them and bake a souffle to any taste.

I can see each heading above being a source of negativity to µ4/3. Examples:

Sadness: "My shoulders ache and yours don't."

Fear: "My photos are no better than yours."

Anger: "How dare you think I don't need the extra microgram of quality!"

Guilt: "I hardly ever use that $6,000 super tele lens that my wife has to carry through airports."

Conflict: "If I abandon my quest for perfection, is it possible my photography might improve??"​

The above is strictly for fun, guys!

:2thumbs:

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Folks are still bashing film shooters too. (You ever see a Lomographer get any respect?)

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
m4/3s can do things the CaNikon DSLRs can't do: have a $200 pocketable camera with a super awesome 20/1.7 $300 pancake; 5-axis, useable ISO 6400, and weather-sealing for under $1000; and the capability to cheaply accept and stabilize almost any lens ever, with perfect corners, and give it a simple 2x crop factor.

No other systems can claim this. Over m4/3s, I like the quality of the Fuji mirrorless system, but not the price! I like the bokeh of the Sony FF mirrorless, but not the fact that it underscores the inadequacies of my lens's corners! I like the high-ISO of DSLRs and common availability of accessories, but not the size!

Those are some tradeoffs. None of it makes me want to bash people though!

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been seeing more Olympus models in the wild lately, mainly versions of the OM-D. It's nice to see, frankly, though my Nikon FF buddy really likes my MFT gear and keeps wanting to get one. Maybe I should turn him onto the E-PM2 deal that's out there now. :)

Photorebel

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff Mims
I personally think..at this point, MFT gear is a nice addition to a FF kit. Who says..one has to dump their FF gear to appreciate MFT? Why not use both? Of course, that was the way I started…but in the end, I sold off all my Canon FF gear. Not saying that's right for everyone, but it's right for me. Yet, more than a few have mentioned to me, that when I get ready to do "serious" photography again, I'll buy FF. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

iau

Mu-43 Regular
I could say I know what you mean, because I hear much of the same thing for chosing Fuji. Including from m4/3 users. Or using a "big and bulky DSLR" (even if it's lighter than a Leica). However, I guess it's just that we all try to justify our own purchases and don't like to hear non-users/outsiders/whatever tell us we did a poor choice.

I did have an E-M5 (and several Panasonics before that) and I want one again, but two systems (Nikon and Fuji) is enough at the moment. I'll gladly admit I'm not happy with Fuji AF, but love mostly everything else. I also love m4/3 but not a camera for me at the moment. I also think that many arguments starts because someone states their opinion like it is a fact.

Whtrbt7

Mu-43 Veteran
People tend to associate their personality with the things that they buy. By reference, they think that you are what you buy. I've always been slotted into groups because I give advice on what my preferences are. By threatening that a product that you did not purchase is superior, means that you by association are not superior. M43 has the compromise of being smaller than 135format, good enough image quality, and a decent selection of quality lenses. I have up my Canon system for OMD and haven't looked back. It doesn't mean that Canikon aren't better at certain things, it's just that OMD fits my usage better.

gr8Shot

Mu-43 Regular
The m43 sensor size means small and lighter equipment - that's HUGE (pun intended).

EVFs beat OVFs hands down for me. Never planning to go back.

I would like more pixels for post work and cropping (larger sensors are not necessary but they help with current technology limits).

Mirrorless cameras (FF and APS-C INCLUDED) still have a way to go provide focusing with moving targets that is as fast and accurate as a DSLR .

The pros of m43 beat DSLR for me. It's a moderate margin that should improve over the next couple of years.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Just about everything I own is considered by many to be the poor cousins of equivalent superior products, be it cars, cameras, tools, whatever. The funny thing is that all of these seem to perform as well as, if not better, than the so-called superior products. 'Superior' products often get their status due to marketing, not necessarily because they are inherently superior.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom