Why 60 & 75 for new Olympus primes

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by heli-mech, May 22, 2012.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I have been waiting for these two to be officially announced/priced and keep going back and forth between which of them I'll get. However it has also started to make me wonder why Olympus choose these focal lengths. 45-60-75 just seem too close together when they have no primes in the +100mm range.

I personally like to have my primes around double each other, in between is usually within the zoom range of my feet :biggrin:

2. Rick_B

Rick_B Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    West Haven, CT USA
    Rick Baumhauer
    Well, the 60mm is a macro, so I wouldn't really count it the same as the 45 and 75 (which are both considered 'portrait' lenses, though of different sorts).

While it would be nice to see m43 long primes, the size is going to start to become problematic beyond the 75mm - fast zooms may be the best we get for some time, and those are still going to be relatively large and expensive (if the 12-35 is any predictor).

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, Rick is right on the money. The 60mm is a macro, so it's a different breed. Just like the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 and the Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit are not redundant either, just because they share the same focal length (although it's reasonable to assume that most people would only choose to own one, depending on whether they need the wide aperture and fast AF more or if they need the macro more).

75mm is a very useful focal length, and I'd love to have one myself. Though an 85mm f/1.4 still would have been preferred. ;)

4. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I was really leaning towards the 75, primary use would be portrait/candid shots of my kids with its short tele being good for some kids sports too. However I am starting to think the 60mm might be able to replace the 45 and 75 with macro to boot.

I have used macros allot in the past for portrait work, it makes me laugh when someone says they aren't good because they are too sharp. Its much easier to soften a lens in PP than it is to truly make it sharper.

Now giving up 1.8 would be tough... but then the 60 is weather sealed...be interesting to see how they are priced.

5. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    and I would have liked a 100-150mm f4 macro as you don't really need 2.8 for macro and that would help keep the size/price down. Plus that would give great working distance for macro.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Size and cost don't really make sense to me as an explanation. A Canon 100/2 that is no larger than the 12-50 zoom costs a mere $450. I don't see why Olympus couldn't put together something comparable if they wanted to.

DH

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    A "little birdie" told me there's a 150mm ish prime lens in the works, along with more primes further down the road after the pro body is announced. Olympus will have an m43 system similar to the original OM.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If that's true then I might wait on the 150mm... I never did like my lenses to be too close. The 50mm + 135mm was always a good spread, and I think a 45mm + 150mm will also work well.

In the meantime, we have the 12-35mm and 35-100mm zooms, lol. :D Many great options popping up, we'll have a complete system sooner than we think.