Who's watching the NFL?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    NY Giants fan here since the early 80s.

Lots of interesting things going on in the League right now...

What do you think about Harbaugh's decision to start Colin Kaepernick over Alex Smith?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Giants are a class team and a class act. Class coach, too (if New Yorkers can ever stop talking about firing him!) Even as a Pats fan, I have to admire them. Even disliking all things Manning, I have to tip my hat to Eli.

Now, as a Pats fan, I am certainly enjoying the Jets season this year, bwahahaha! The best desert on Thursday was served up in the evening :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Carol Stream, IL
    As a long time Bears fan, I must thank your Giants for last weekend...:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Jacksonville Jaguars fan. We are aweful this year, and have been mediocre the last 6 or 7years. After moving to Alabama, I started pulling more for Atlanta. Honestly, I'm more into college football than into Pro ball. Pro ball is turning into a pansy league IMHO.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    There's talk up north here as to Tebow should fight to be released and go with the Jaguars. What would a Jaguars fan think of that?

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Man that Jets game on Thursday was something else - 3 Pats touchdowns in less than a minute. Look on Rex Ryan's face after the third one just said it all. Those guys need to just start over. Maybe they can get Alex Smith.

Patriots are loooking strong, which makes my wife and kids very happy.

7. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Pats fan here, too!

Since last Thanksgiving I allowed myself to bathe in luxurious amounts of schadenfreude. :biggrin: Never laughed so hard while watching a game - of course with the highlight being the Bum-ble. :smile: I was chanting "Tebow! Tebow!" during the game - haha! Evil me.

Only team I am scared of (even last year - and was proven correct) is the Giants. They can really switch gears and change into an entirely different team in-game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    LOL.

I think there are a lot of dangerous teams this year. Looking forward to the Giants-Skins game this week.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I DVRed the Thursday game, and just keep replaying that bumble. It doesn't get old!

(sorry Jets fans -- as a Sox fan, I can feel your pain around a circus of errors).

10. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Tebow should just accept it and play as tight end, running back, whatever -- if he wants to play.

Poor Alex Smith, though. The guy didn't do anything to lose his job! Bledsoe Redux.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think Tebow would accept anything given to him, but the Jets aren't giving him anything! I'm not saying Tebow is the answer to much, but given what he did in Denver, he deserves a chance somewhere. IMO, he should follow Flutie and Warren Moon to the CFL.

12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Here's the thing. Jacksonville as a whole is a college sports town. No, we don't have any big colleges with teams. But, Gainsville is only 1.5 hours away and Tallahasee is only 2.5 hours away. Due to the bad economy, ticket holders decided not to get tickets the last few years but maintain their collegiate loyalties.

So, with that said, there were rumors when Tebow came out of the draft that he'd go to Jacksonville. There are lots of Florida fans who'd love it. Florida State fans would care less. At the end of the day, it would be about whether he could do it year after year.

Was Denver a fluke? A little bit. They had a good defense and decent offensive line. He isn't that great of a passer(neither is Vick, though). My honest opinion is that if he goes to Jacksonville, we don't use him as a QB. He gets turned into a tight end or full back. Jacksonville needs a QB. We haven't had a decent QB since Mark Brunell, and that was back in the Caughlin days.

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm an NFL addict, having played the game as a kid and through high school. But its an addiction I hate and dislike more and more all the time. And not just because the Eagles suck lately - did I say suck? I meant REALLY SUCK!!!

The players are just too damn large and strong and fast to allow this game to continue in anything like its current form. As a fairly mediocre high school player in the '70s, I remember what an intensely painful and violent game it was to play. I was a relatively small defensive back who became a pretty big hitter but I know I did myself at least as much damage on a lot of those hits as I did the guy I was taking down. I know I had at least a couple of concussions and every week the day after the game was a day I could barely move as I discovered new little injuries as my body recovered enough from the trauma and adrenaline to start feeling the more specific aches and pains that were developing. I'm just thankful I wasn't good enough to play any longer than a couple of years of high school ball. The way ex-pro (and college!) players are pulling up lame and demented and seriously damaged in their 40s and 50s is something that just can't continue. Now that we're actually paying attention to concussions, we're actually starting to realize just how often they happen. They're not happening any more now - we're just aware of it now. The game should really go away - its so inherently violent I don't think it can be reformed without turning it into flag or touch football and that'll never feed our societies lust for the violence of the game. But how many parent are going to let their kids start playing the game in the coming years? I wouldn't. My folks were really conflicted about letting me play 35 - 40 years ago and we didn't know ANYTHING about the implications then.

So I kind of hate football, but its been a part of my life for so long that I still spend some time in front of the tube on a lot of autumn and early winter weekends. The Giants are a rival of sorts (or were when we had something to contribute to the rivalry) and I should hate them (as I do the Cowboys and the Redskins when they're any good), but I never have. I've enjoyed both of their Super Bowl wins over the Pats immensely. And because they're sort of a mini-dynasty without acting like one, and they suck enough of every season to keep everyone from taking them as seriously as they deserve to be taken. I also love that the "lesser" of the two Manning brothers is turning out to be a better big-game quarterback than his vastly more perfect older brother. Eli isn't close to the QB Peyton is, but he just WINS, baby, as Al Davis would have said...

So I'll keep watching despite my feelings about the game. And if they're gonna play and as long as the Iggles suck, go GIANTS!

-Ray

14. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Haha. Most Eagles fans would castrate you for that.

A lot of Patriot fans on this board. I've personally built up this nasty hatred for the Pats going into Super Bowl 38, and it got even worse after seeing one of Vinatieri's big-game kicks go through the uprights on my Panthers nearly a decade ago. It's been almost 10 years and the Pats are still consistently competitive. I hate them, but video-taping scandals aside, I can't help but admire how they run a winning organization year-in and year-out. Can't say the same about Jerry Richardson and his pie-charts though.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    On the taping issue, MANY other coaches admitted to doing, and even Cohwer saying he did it for a bit, but abandoned it because it didn't help his planning. It's a red herring.

Being a Boston fan, and watching the Yankees and the Lakers (and also Montreal Canadians decades ago), I can completely understand the dislike of the Pats. Don't worry -- lots of the parts have been clearly replaceable, but I'm not sure Tom Brady is, and he's not getting any younger. Nothing lasts forever!

16. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    You know you're good when lots of people start hating you. :smile:

Anxious over the upcoming back-to-back Pats game vs. Houston and 49ers. We'll see then if team is really good as they look.

My wife bought 2 tickets for my in-laws (cost split with her siblings) for the upcoming game vs. the 49ers, 3 rows behind the Pats bench. The tickets cost a fortune!!! I had to control myself from adding an extra ticket though, it was really tempting - but the thought that one ticket is worth a good lens kept me at bay. :biggrin:

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm a Steelers fan - not having a very good season. Third string QB (who is probably better than the second string, but older) and a bunch of receivers and running backs who can't hold on to the ball. Heck, we lost to the Browns! Oh, the shame of it all! :redface: :rolleyes:

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Says it all right there. A proud and noble franchise. Don't worry -- Steelers will right the ship (though maybe not this year...)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Redskins fan here since the 1950's. I am looking forward to the game against the Giants on Monday. It has been a while since we have actually looked forward to games.

20. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Good thing the Pats-Dolphins game ended a little early, so we were treated to last two~ish minutes of Colts vs. Lions. Pats fan here (obviously) but those 2 minutes proved more entertaining than the whole Pats game. Just, wow.

Poor Detriot, back to back almost-had-it-in-the-bag weeks. :eek:

• Like Like x 1