Who's using flash triggers and what are you using?

rboate

Mu-43 Regular
I switched from Canon to Olympus about a year ago and the one thing I am still looking for is some inexpensive triggers for off camera flash. I am currently using the Yongnuo RF602C which is the Canon version. These triggers work but I would love to upgrade to the 603s but they require rewiring to work with the OMD. I am interested to hear from others using triggers and what you use and if you are happy with them.

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
I'm using the same cheap ones I am using on my Canon. Been using them for 2-3 years now without problem. I got them from linkdelight.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

D

Deleted member 16340

I'm also using the same ones I used on my Canons. Mine are Phottix Stratto II's, very reliable and sturdy, but they're not really inexpensive compared to other stuff out there. I've heard the Cactus triggers are the way to go if you want cheap and reliable.

elavon

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ehud
If your current trigger works there is no insensitive to change. The cheap triggers are as good as the expensive one since you do not use TTL.

Sent from my HTC One S using Mu-43 mobile app

atnbirdie

Mu-43 Regular
I'm using Cactus 4 because I've had them for several years. They worked with my Pentax system and work fine with my EM5. All I had to do was change cables. I highly recommend their price and reliability.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
Phottix Stratto II easy to select channel and hold up well get the canon ones for your OLY and you get TTL pass through on your main flash which can be handy

humzai

Mu-43 Veteran
Phottix Stratto II easy to select channel and hold up well get the canon ones for your OLY and you get TTL pass through on your main flash which can be handy

The phottix pass through works with full ttl and remote manual? I'll have to get some stratos or odins then.

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
Another vote for the Cactus v5 here. I'm looking forward to their future v6 (currently under testing) and flash with built in receiver. The v6 will remotely control flash settings.

Since they'll be backwards compatible with the v5 I'm probably getting them also.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
I use mine with my metz 50 on the OMD all the time :)
I am a OCF only manual guy but my on camera I want on TTL

again has to be the canon ones since the pins line up

The phottix pass through works with full ttl and remote manual? I'll have to get some stratos or odins then.

LDraper

Mu-43 Regular
I picked up a couple of pocket wizards on eBay as an experiment and like them - but I'm wanting one or two more units. I've been watching discussions about the Yongnuo and now the Cactus units (they sound attractive to me). Does anyone know if its possible to mix brands: e.g. would the cactus trigger the PW units and vice versa? Or if I were to buy the Cactus units, does that mean starting from scratch?

Y2K

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Yefim
I'm also using the same ones I used on my Canons. Mine are Phottix Stratto II's, very reliable and sturdy, but they're not really inexpensive compared to other stuff out there. I've heard the Cactus triggers are the way to go if you want cheap and reliable.

Phottix Stratos Multis.

Question for folks that use Photix Stratos. Based on this post by Mike Weeks, I picked up a set of Phottix Strato II Multi triggers to use with my Olympus E-M1. They do work great for the most part, but I do have one issue - when the camera goes on standby pressing the shutter button half-way does NOT wake up the flash units which is contradictory to the what was posted "The units wake flash units from sleep mode (both Nikon and Olympus)." The only way how I can wake up the flashes is by pressing the square button on the top of the Strato transmitter. Reading Phottix user manual, it states:

"The Status LED on the Phottix Strato Multi transmitter will turn solid green upon a half-press of the shutter button (on camera or the Strato Multi transmitter being used as a wireless shutter release) and turn red when sending a signal or taking a photo"

When I half-press the shutter button on my E-M1 the LED on the receiver never actually turns solid green (regardless if the camera is in sleep mode or not) leading me to believe that the transmitter is not actually detecting a half-press on camera. Pressing the camera shutter all the way and taking a shot does turn LED red but it does not wake the flash units after the camera went on standby. So it seems to me that the only way to wake up the flash units is to press the square button on the transmitter itself, which works I guess but not like I expected since I assumed that flash units can be taken out of standby by half-pressing the camera shutter release button.

I just wanted to confirm with others using Stratos if my understanding is correct. I am guessing that because this is a Canon trigger and not Olympus, the pins that communicate with shutter half-press may not match between the two systems. Could someone please confirm - Are you able to wake the flash units using the camera shutter button after the camera went on standby? Does your transmitter LED ever turn green when you half-press the camera shutter release?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 16340

Yes, I can confirm that I experience the same thing with the Strato II's on my E-M5. Not sure exactly what is going on, but you're probably right with the pins not matching up, etc. I usually just hit the 'Test' button on the side to wake my flashes up. I can see how the half-press to wake-up could be useful.

daum

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been using these Cowboy Studios for about 3 yrs and loved them so much that i got another receiver. I've used them on my 5DMKII, D7000, D600, GF1, E-P3, E-M5, D90, E-P5, and D600. Highly recommended!!!

Can't beat them at $23 http://amzn.to/1cQtiDV

Y2K

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Yefim
Yes, I can confirm that I experience the same thing with the Strato II's on my E-M5. Not sure exactly what is going on, but you're probably right with the pins not matching up, etc. I usually just hit the 'Test' button on the side to wake my flashes up. I can see how the half-press to wake-up could be useful.
Thank you for confirmation... that's a bummer! I just spent a good chunk of money on Stratos (transmitter and three receivers) just to discover that they don't wake up; which was one of my complaints with the cheap YN RF-603s I was using before. When I read that post on DPReview it sounded like they should wake up with no issue.

I've been using these Cowboy Studios for about 3 yrs and loved them so much that i got another receiver. I've used them on my 5DMKII, D7000, D600, GF1, E-P3, E-M5, D90, E-P5, and D600. Highly recommended!!!

Can't beat them at $23 http://amzn.to/1cQtiDV
Thanks, I actually have a cheap setup already using Yongnuo RF-603C set (this one) which I modified using this simple method. They worked very well actually. They did have rare misfires and I suspected it was because of no wake up functionality. So I was really looking forward to getting Phottix since they seemed to be a more reliable and convenient solution. Well, they do address a few minor annoyances that 603s have (like no locking mechanism when mounted on hot shoe or stand) and they also provide zones control from the receiver... but I am not a pro and will probably never need this function and my main goal was to address non-fires and wake up issue. Looks like wake up issue will still be there but at least I can tap the button on Phottix to wake flashes up manually. Oh well.

Thanks.

Latest threads

Top Bottom