1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Who's using flash triggers and what are you using?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rboate, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rboate

rboate Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2012
    I switched from Canon to Olympus about a year ago and the one thing I am still looking for is some inexpensive triggers for off camera flash. I am currently using the Yongnuo RF602C which is the Canon version. These triggers work but I would love to upgrade to the 603s but they require rewiring to work with the OMD. I am interested to hear from others using triggers and what you use and if you are happy with them.

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Search engine says... Cactus v5

3. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I'm using the same cheap ones I am using on my Canon. Been using them for 2-3 years now without problem. I got them from linkdelight.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'm also using the same ones I used on my Canons. Mine are Phottix Stratto II's, very reliable and sturdy, but they're not really inexpensive compared to other stuff out there. I've heard the Cactus triggers are the way to go if you want cheap and reliable.

5. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    Another vote for the cactus v5's

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If your current trigger works there is no insensitive to change. The cheap triggers are as good as the expensive one since you do not use TTL.

Sent from my HTC One S using Mu-43 mobile app

7. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm using Cactus 4 because I've had them for several years. They worked with my Pentax system and work fine with my EM5. All I had to do was change cables. I highly recommend their price and reliability.

8. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Phottix Stratos Multis.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Phottix Stratto II easy to select channel and hold up well get the canon ones for your OLY and you get TTL pass through on your main flash which can be handy

10. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I'm using a handful of cactus v5. Good range, simple, reliable, and cheap. In fact I just ordered some more, bringing my total to 7.

11. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    The phottix pass through works with full ttl and remote manual? I'll have to get some stratos or odins then.

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Another vote for the Cactus v5 here. I'm looking forward to their future v6 (currently under testing) and flash with built in receiver. The v6 will remotely control flash settings.

Since they'll be backwards compatible with the v5 I'm probably getting them also.

13. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I use mine with my metz 50 on the OMD all the time :)
    I am a OCF only manual guy but my on camera I want on TTL

again has to be the canon ones since the pins line up

• Like Like x 2
  14. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I picked up a couple of pocket wizards on eBay as an experiment and like them - but I'm wanting one or two more units. I've been watching discussions about the Yongnuo and now the Cactus units (they sound attractive to me). Does anyone know if its possible to mix brands: e.g. would the cactus trigger the PW units and vice versa? Or if I were to buy the Cactus units, does that mean starting from scratch?

15. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    No they won't trigger each other, except perhaps by accident (which you don't want...)

16. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks. That's what I expected. Just hoping for a magical compatibility, I guess :- )

17. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Question for folks that use Photix Stratos. Based on this post by Mike Weeks, I picked up a set of Phottix Strato II Multi triggers to use with my Olympus E-M1. They do work great for the most part, but I do have one issue - when the camera goes on standby pressing the shutter button half-way does NOT wake up the flash units which is contradictory to the what was posted "The units wake flash units from sleep mode (both Nikon and Olympus)." The only way how I can wake up the flashes is by pressing the square button on the top of the Strato transmitter. Reading Phottix user manual, it states:

"The Status LED on the Phottix Strato Multi transmitter will turn solid green upon a half-press of the shutter button (on camera or the Strato Multi transmitter being used as a wireless shutter release) and turn red when sending a signal or taking a photo"

When I half-press the shutter button on my E-M1 the LED on the receiver never actually turns solid green (regardless if the camera is in sleep mode or not) leading me to believe that the transmitter is not actually detecting a half-press on camera. Pressing the camera shutter all the way and taking a shot does turn LED red but it does not wake the flash units after the camera went on standby. So it seems to me that the only way to wake up the flash units is to press the square button on the transmitter itself, which works I guess but not like I expected since I assumed that flash units can be taken out of standby by half-pressing the camera shutter release button.

I just wanted to confirm with others using Stratos if my understanding is correct. I am guessing that because this is a Canon trigger and not Olympus, the pins that communicate with shutter half-press may not match between the two systems. Could someone please confirm - Are you able to wake the flash units using the camera shutter button after the camera went on standby? Does your transmitter LED ever turn green when you half-press the camera shutter release?

Thanks.

18. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Yes, I can confirm that I experience the same thing with the Strato II's on my E-M5. Not sure exactly what is going on, but you're probably right with the pins not matching up, etc. I usually just hit the 'Test' button on the side to wake my flashes up. I can see how the half-press to wake-up could be useful.

• Like Like x 1
  19. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I've been using these Cowboy Studios for about 3 yrs and loved them so much that i got another receiver. I've used them on my 5DMKII, D7000, D600, GF1, E-P3, E-M5, D90, E-P5, and D600. Highly recommended!!!

Can't beat them at $23 http://amzn.to/1cQtiDV

• Like Like x 2
  20. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Thank you for confirmation... that's a bummer! I just spent a good chunk of money on Stratos (transmitter and three receivers) just to discover that they don't wake up; which was one of my complaints with the cheap YN RF-603s I was using before. When I read that post on DPReview it sounded like they should wake up with no issue.

Thanks, I actually have a cheap setup already using Yongnuo RF-603C set (this one) which I modified using this simple method. They worked very well actually. They did have rare misfires and I suspected it was because of no wake up functionality. So I was really looking forward to getting Phottix since they seemed to be a more reliable and convenient solution. Well, they do address a few minor annoyances that 603s have (like no locking mechanism when mounted on hot shoe or stand) and they also provide zones control from the receiver... but I am not a pro and will probably never need this function and my main goal was to address non-fires and wake up issue. Looks like wake up issue will still be there but at least I can tap the button on Phottix to wake flashes up manually. Oh well.

Thanks.