1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who's still happy with the original em-5 and doesn't feel the need to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pixelvandal, Sep 26, 2016.

1. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    As it edges closer to it's 5 year birthday, who here still likes shooting the em-5 and doesn't feel any GAS whatsoever? I owned the EM5 when it got released, got peeved about the focus point not being able to be resized and sold it, which is now consequently fixed through firmware (yes i know that's a silly reason, but it would really bug me when trying to pinpoint focus on something).
    Anyway, a friend of mine recently gave me his old em5 to play with, and if i like, grab it for next to nothing, and even now, im still amazed at how fast it manages to focus compared to some of the competition. Sure there are better cameras out there, and the sensor is getting long in the tooth, but it's still very capable. makes my X100 seem like a slug (or canon eos m) haha.

Just wondering if there are are any people still happily shooting away with the em5 as their sole camera?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I'm with the EM10 and very content. Though I'm doing a bit of video now and would realllly like a mic-in

3. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    I suppose you could always record audio separate with an external recorder and match it up in post for higher quality audio than if you were to use in camera audio recording, but that's a bit of effort and i would probably only do that if i was recording something serious. with the em5 there is the option of the SEMA-1 (i think?) but that seems like an expensive option, and id probably go with the external recorder for a little bit more... :)

4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Not E-M5, but an E-P5 owner here and although I try to see reasons for "upgrading" (no AA filter on the GX85?) I just can't see sufficient reason for not keeping what I've got. The lenses are great and it's about that as much as anything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Given depreciation on consumer electronics I buy cameras used (& glass whenever I can) - so I tend to eke as much life out of whatever I have for as long as possible.

Quite happy with my E-M5. For the last few m43 iterations the primary limitation in my shooting has been the meatsack behind the camera (ie me).

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I'm using mine still sometimes. But not as only body as I have found new ones by the way. But I like it so much I wont sell it. Since I like the tilt screen also I think I hold on to it until it break :) (and I've had it for four years)

7. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Even though I've added Sony to my gear, I still shoot with my EM5. It's such a capable camera, I remember how excited I was to get it back in 2012. With the right lenses it will sing, and rarely do I need capabilities beyond what it can do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, the E-M5 is still a great camera. Its IQ is in no meaningful way inferior to any of the latest cameras. It lacks some firmware features (Live Composite in particular) and the buttons are a bit small and squidgy, but otherwise it delivers the goods. I still have mine and use it from time to time. In fact, it beats the E-M1 in long exposure noise - by quite a margin.

9. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    My E-M5 + 12-40 vastly exceed my abilities. No reason at all to upgrade.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I still have my EM5 as a backup camera. I hesitate to sell it because this camera brought the fun in photography back to me ...

If I would not have a loved EM5 already and would have to buy a backup camera now, I would go with a EM10-XX or EM5-II.

In fact, the original EM5 had some things that were annoying from the beginning:
    • No easy way to playback in EVF, I hate chimping and reviewing on LCD (I have to disable auto-EVF switch to see a photo in EVF, how silly is that??)
    • Limited focus point choice
    • Shutter shock with light&long lenses, no AntiShock to cure the symptom
    • Bad button layout (playback is hidden behind the LCD), generally the EM5 buttons have never been state of the art
    Ch

11. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Still have it. Still love it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Still very happy with the E-M5 (have had it since spring 2012), and so far no real need to upgrade.

The Pen F looks great and tickled my 'want' itch, but I managed to see the reality, little gain for me over what I have and do now with the E-M5. I was looking at the new E-M1 II, but hand held high resolution seems to stay out of reach. I would most like not have bought an E-M1 anyway, I prefer the smaller grip less style of the E-M5.

If my present E-M5 broke down now, it would be a hard choice between the E-M5II (most sensible) and the Pen F (most beautiful and since I do a lot of black and white, the easy style settings might be nice).

13. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

I was talking to the lady who runs one of the local camera shops in partnership and shoots professionally. She still has her e-m5 and uses it all the time.

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I upgraded to a used E-M1 which I ended up paying way less for than the original E-M5 that I bought new. IQ-wise the E-M5 is still great, especially for long exposures (my only minor regret about switching to the E-M1).

If my E-M1 broke and I was hypothetically forced to use an E-M5 again, I would be perfectly content to keep using it until the next gen E-M1 Mk2s came down in price. Unless another really cheap E-M1 Mk1 came along first :p

15. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    I have two I carry when I'm street shooting, one with either the 15 mm 1.7 or 25 mm 1.4 and the other with the 75.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Bought mine right after the release (though it's my 3rd E-M5 already since the previous ones got broken). Still loving it and it's still my main camera. I just handed over some wedding shots I took with it and the "customer" (my colleague) was super happy with the results.

I'd be perfectly happy to just swap the sensor for a better focusing and less noisy one though. :biggrin:

EDIT: OK, I wouldn't mind having HiRes mode either... :p

17. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I had an EM5 a few years ago and traded it up for an EM1. I missed the EM5 so much that I bought another one as a second body. In fact I liked it so much that I now have 2, and the EM1 gets way less use than either of the EM5's. I have one with the grip part of the battery grip attached and the other one naked. I love them both and wouldn't part with either unless the EM1ii proves to be much more capable, but thats a lot of £ for something that I don't really need.

18. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Still use my EM5 interchangeably with the EM1 and EPM2... Whichever has the right lens on at the moment...
    With cameras there's only two important things - you have to enjoy using it and you have to be happy with the results.
    Everything else is just 'noise' ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I bought my EM 5 a year ago second hand. It far exceeds my photographic skills
    Of course I want something more of this or that, but I certainly do not need it.
    What I DO need is an upgrade of my vision of what is around me....

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

What, has this changed in the E-M1 and E-M5II? I thought this has always been this way, since the E-P2. I never have the auto-switch enabled, but even if set to EVF (which I always have unless macro or above my head or whatever), playback always defaults to the LCD. If this has changed then I probably need to upgrade my E-M1 s/w (still on 3.x). I got my mom an E-M5II this year but didn't play with it much - I think it still has this annoyance. Perhaps not when you flip the screen backwards.

I can understand how someone may want the playback to default to the LCD, but this should be configurable.

As many others here, I am not getting rid of my E-M5 anytime soon. I think the two-part grip was the best thing Olympus did with this product line. Yes, it was an experiment, but you get something that handles like a PEN, and like a DSLR when you want it. I don't find the IQ that much different to my E-M1, especially low light / high ISO. And long exposure. AF tracking still sucks on the E-M1 so PDAF has less importance if not using 4/3 lenses, therefore other than improved ergonomics and more megapickles, you don't lose much with the E-M5 mk. I versus the newer OM-Ds. I am also keeping it because I refuse to accept devaluation (I'm not selling it for the sort of money they are going for!). This is also why I've kept the E-P2. I think this is how collections start. And hoarding.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016