Who's Pre Ordered The GX7 ? And What Colour ? What lens ?

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Hi
OM-D gone, G5 gone - making do with a GF1 so that I can afford the Pre Order Ive just placed for a Silver GX7 with Mk2 14-42
(£819 body only - £899 with the lens so seems a bit of a no brainer to add the lens which by all accounts is very sharp and very compact and at least similar in performance to the 14 - 45 - the only issue with which for me is the size)
Just thought it would be good to gauge the interest in buying this new camera upon release and by doing so how 'Right' Panasonic have got this design and How Well they have responded to the wish list of the M43 community (and colour and lens preferences)
My feeling is that barring a few very minor 'niggles' and perhaps a couple of minor omissions (eg mic input for some) they have 'Nailed' the design and come up with a camera that lives up to the 'Ethos' of the M43 format like no other body before it ? (No camera will ever be perfect for anyone and will certainly not suit everyone as this forum regularly demonstrates)
I always prefer 'Retro Styling if appropriately implemented hence I have gone with the Silver Version
For me personally the 'absolute' performance of the Sensor is less important than the overall design, usability and compactness so if the Sensor is at least incrementally better than previous Panasonic (non Sony sensored) bodies I will be happy
Ive had little time for photography (and this forum) lately due to pressing tasks with regard to a business venture I am trying to develop. I feel that the GX7 will revitalise my need to make some time to get 'out and about'
Regards
Rob

arad85

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm just about to go and play with one now. I'm considering it instead of a Fuji X100S. If I do get it, it will be in silver with the 20mm (which at £180 more than body only is also a no-brainer).

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Here in the U.S., you can only order it with one color (chrome on grey), and one lens (the 14-42 version II)

jpark1982

Mu-43 Regular
I live in the US And preordered the black with 20mm from 2 shops in Canada, whoever can deliver first I'll keep, the other one I'll either cancel or just resell if I can't cancel in time.

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse
Here in Australia we have both black and silver available. The silver comes with either 14-42mm, or the 20mm... for a mere $AU100 more :biggrin:

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
For me personally the 'absolute' performance of the Sensor is less important than the overall design, usability and compactness so if the Sensor is at least incrementally better than previous Panasonic (non Sony sensored) bodies I will be happy
snip...

x2 for overall usefulness.

Sensor upgrades are not going to make anyone a better photographer.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I live in the US And preordered the black with 20mm from 2 shops in Canada, whoever can deliver first I'll keep, the other one I'll either cancel or just resell if I can't cancel in time.

If it were Olympus, with a worldwide warranty, that would be a viable option for me, but Panasonic does not support out of U.S. sales and you need to send cameras back to the store you bought it from to handle warranty repairs. This still might be worthwhile to do if the cost savings were significant enough, but just to get a black one is not a good enough reason to forego the warranty support, IMHO.

I already own the 20mm first version, so that's not a compelling reason for me either - and I'm pretty sure that once the supply chain fills up, you'll be able to get the 20mm lens in GX7 bundles here in the U.S. as well.

optigan

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
I bought an Om-d for the fast and true autofocus and high ISO iq. Although the GX-7 is nice looking I'm in no rush to upgrade. What am I missing?

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I bought an Om-d for the fast and true autofocus and high ISO iq. Although the GX-7 is nice looking I'm in no rush to upgrade. What am I missing?

Not a whole lot, I think. You gain a few things with the GX7 (silent mode/electronic shutter, 1/8000 shutter speed, different form factor/no EVF hump, tilting EVF, built-in flash) and lose a couple (higher FPS, weather sealing, worse IBIS) in a body that is unlikely to have massive improvements in image quality. I view the GX7 as more of a 'sidegrade' that would be a very nice complementary model to my E-M5.

I do want to get a second body I would actually shoot (will try to sell the GF2, because I never use it, don't like the handling much and don't like the output much either) for the next trip I take, and - depending on Oly's new high-end body - this might just be the ticket. EVF is a bit of a must for me, and I strongly dislike add-on EVFs as a concept.

jpark1982

Mu-43 Regular
If it were Olympus, with a worldwide warranty, that would be a viable option for me, but Panasonic does not support out of U.S. sales and you need to send cameras back to the store you bought it from to handle warranty repairs. This still might be worthwhile to do if the cost savings were significant enough, but just to get a black one is not a good enough reason to forego the warranty support, IMHO.

I already own the 20mm first version, so that's not a compelling reason for me either - and I'm pretty sure that once the supply chain fills up, you'll be able to get the 20mm lens in GX7 bundles here in the U.S. as well.

I've yet to file a warranty claim with any camera I've ever owned so it doesn't bother me as much (I probably jinxed myself just now, great....).

I may just cancel the kit order though and go for body only as I'm working on a great deal for the PL25, which from all reports is leaps and bounds better than the 20.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
....I may just cancel the kit order though and go for body only as I'm working on a great deal for the PL25, which from all reports is leaps and bounds better than the 20.

Which reports are those? I've actually never seen any rigorous comparison between the 20mm and the 25mm lenses

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Which reports are those? I've actually never seen any rigorous comparison between the 20mm and the 25mm lenses

And the ones that are most rigorous say the 25 is slightly better (at best). It comes down to a couple objective measurements - AF speed, aperture, and size - and all kinds of totally subjective measurements (FOV preference, "rendering", having a lens say "Leica" on it, etc)

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Pre-ordered silver two-tone, body only - B&H.

I think the silver looks quite appropriate, whatever the heck that means. :smile: In any case, that's all that's currently available in the US, so that's my preorder, but I'll be watching for real world performance reviews.

xdayv

Color Blind
Real Name
Dave
I am in no rush to pre-order, and that would most definitely be black, unless if I'll give the silver a try, for a change.

Definitely I'm keeping a close eye on the GX7, before Christmas... hhhmmm.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I think the silver looks quite appropriate, whatever the heck that means. :smile: In any case, that's all that's currently available in the US, so that's my preorder, but I'll be watching for real world performance reviews.

John... we're thinking along the same lines, as usual. :wink: My preference would be for all black, but that will have to come some time down the road apiece! :smile: Keep on shootin' straight, my friend! :thumbup: :wink:

Mix

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi! I bought my 25mm f1.4 Panasonic lens from Henry's Canada and their extended life plan (international warranty) for $79.99. If you guys want to purchase GX7 at Henry's, I think it's best to also get their international warranty to avoid the hassle of sending the items (camera, lens, etc..) back to Canada for repair.

Henry's Extended Life Plan - Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my product requires service?
Bring it to the nearest Henry's location or take it directly to an Authorized Service Centre. To find the nearest Authorized Service Centre consult the product manufacturer's website. All repairs taken directly to an Authorized Service Centre must be pre-authorized by Henry's Service Department.

What do I do if my equipment breaks down while I'm outside of Canada?
Bring your equipment to the nearest Authorized Service Centre. To find the nearest Authorized Service Centre consult the product manufacturer's website. In some cases, particularly if you are outside of Canada or the United States, it may be necessary to pay a service provider for a repair and then submit a claim to Henry's for reimbursement. Claims can be mailed to: Henry's 119 Church Street, Toronto, Ontario M5C 2G5. Attention: Service Department.

Do I need any paperwork to have my product repaired under Henry's Extended Help Plan?
A copy of your original bill of sale is all you need for coverage.

What if my product requires regular maintenance and cleaning?
Henry's Extended Life Plan does not cover regular maintenance and cleaning. Refer to owner's manual for recommended procedures.

What happens if my product is dropped, exposed to sand or water, or subject to any damage that voids a manufacturers' warranty?
Henry's Extended Life Plan will not cover the cost of repairing your product under these circumstances, but if your unit is sent in for a repair through Henry's you will receive a 20% discount off the cost of the repair.

How can I contact Henry's Service Department?
You can contact Henry's Service Department by phone: 905-760-5607 or 1-877-898-7880, by fax: 905-760-5528 or email: repairs@henrys.com.

http://www.henrys.com/Henrys-Extended-Life-Plan-FAQ.aspx

red

Mu-43 Veteran
ordered this

m43_gx7.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and this

m43_vario_12_35.jpg

:biggrin:

GeBathan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
ordered this

m43_gx7.jpg

and this

m43_vario_12_35.jpg

:biggrin:

Perfect pair!

Sent via Tapatalk on Android.

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
I order a silver GX7 body and extra battery from a local dealer. A trade in of unused gear made this a no sales tax deal with a bit over $100 dollars left over.

Latest threads

Top Bottom