Who's got a GF3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by keel, Dec 4, 2011.

1. keel

keel Mu-43 Rookie

May 11, 2010
    Perth Australia
    Hello Lads and Lasses

I've had an Olympus EPL1 for about 18 month and though it takes nice photos I was always frustrated by its interface and size.

I got drunk recently and ended up on Ebay and saw a G3 body for sale (they should have a breathalyser gismo on that site to lock you out if your keystrokes start to look erratic) and you can guess the rest. It arrived a week later and I'm happy with it.
    Happy except for the size, the viewfinder is excellent but it sticks out too much at the rear (not sure why it doesn't protrude to the front where the lens sticks out anyway). Before moving up to the MFT I had a Canon G9 and then a G10 and I loved the manual controls and the size. Even though it was large it still fit into a pocket.
    I'm going to sell my EPL1 and was thinking of buying a GF3 with the new 14 to 42 pancake lens so I can slip it into my pocket and it will be a go anywhere camera. I've got a 20 and a 14mm lens for the G3 so it would mean keeping the lens kit the same.

I was wondering what your views are of the GF3. Are you happy with it?

Keel

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    I've only had mine for a month now, coming from a G1 and then a GH2 (which I still have, but am considering selling). I bought it because it was, at the time, the only way to get the new 14-42X lens. My plan was to see how well I could function with just the LCD and no EVF, in anticipation of eventually moving up to the GX1 when it becomes available. I've used it mainly with the 14mm, 20mm, and 45mm primes. The 14-42X lens has turned out to be less than I had hoped (so far). It's OK as long as you leave the OIS turned off, but with it on, it's almost unusable.

Bottom line: I am really enjoying this camera. I'm mainly an A shooter, and I've got the Quick Menu configured so that all of my usual settings are a single click away. I'm not one of those people who obsesses about a grip, since I have a left hand and I use it. The LCD has wide enough viewing angle that I can shoot with the camera held low or high and still frame the shot correctly. The autofocus works quickly and reliably, and I love the point-to-click shutter. With the prime lenses and a wrist strap, it fits in my jacket pocket like a glove, the camera in my right, two spare lenses in my left. And finally, the IQ is as good as my GH2 in all but the most extreme conditions.

I am pleasantly surprised with the GF3. My expectations weren't that high, but it has blown them out of the water. Once the GX1 is available, I expect to buy it and sell the GF3 (and my GH2), but it has been well worth the purchase.

David

3. keel

keel Mu-43 Rookie

May 11, 2010
    Perth Australia
    Is the new lens that bad or is it that Panasonic primed everyone up about this new lens and it turned out not to be quite as hot?

It's the size of the GF3 with the 14-42X lens that has attracted me. Even though I've got a 14 and 20mm I would love to use the 14-42X by itself.

It's not available in Australia yet so I think I'll wait till after Christmas. By which time the prices will have dropped and hopefully if it's a software problem they may have fixed it.

Thanks for you views on the camera itself, it sounds like the camera I want.

Keel

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    My guess is that it's the latter. With OIS turned off it seems to function about as well as any other kit lens, just in a much smaller form factor. But the OIS on this lens is really bad right now. I did some tests and posted the results over at dpreview:

Update: I spoke too soon -- mine's soft too: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

and here:

OIS on OIS off: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I hope that Panasonic figures out a way to solve this problem. But they've already updated the firmware once, so I wonder how much they can really do.

David

5. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    I bought a GF3 in a Cyber Monday deal last week. I was using the GH1, but wanted to try a smaller package. I've only been using it a week, but during that time I did the photography for a large family gathering recently. I'm no pro by any means (the photographer that was hired had to cancel, so I guess I was the next best thing since I actually had a camera that wasn't a P&S). Here's my opinion of the camera so far:

Things I like:
    -Love the size and weight. I like to go backpacking and this setup will be awesome! I also don't miss the grip.
    -The touch screen on the back is super nice. While taking candid shots at the family party I was able to quickly change focus points and missed a lot less shots than I normally do. I still prefer using the shutter button because for me I seem to get less camera shake that way, but moving the focus point anywhere by touching the LCD is super cool.
    -Jpeg quality seems much better. I still shoot a lot in RAW since that's what I've grown accustomed to, but the jpegs I took do look very nice.
    -I also really like the quick menu where I can quickly access the controls I most use. It took a little getting use to since I was used to external controls, but I do like it.
    -Really, I think the GF3 is a pleasure to use, and I'm sure I have a lot more to discover.

Things I miss:
    -I like to do a lot of shots low to the ground, especially of my kids. For this reason I really miss having a swivel screen.
    -No jack for a remote shutter, which is a pretty big bummer for me.
    -I wish there were at least a hot shoe for an option EVF or flash.

Overall though, I think this camera is a great little performer capable of great images and video and is fun to use.

Hope this helps. :smile:

6. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    I recently brought the GF3 with the 14mm and 14 - 42 mm for £399, I spent a considerable amount of time playing with a variety of cameras in the shop, before deciding on the GF3, for me it feels so comfortable to hold and use, and the menu system is user friendly, I find that I use the 14mm lens most of the time, as this makes the camera so compact especially for street photography. Not having a hot shoe or EVF doesn't bother me as I never bothered using them on my other cameras.

7. yourguitarhero

yourguitarhero Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Hi,
    Where did you get the twin lens kit for that price? Does that include the cashback deal on just now?

My wife is looking to buy one.

Thanks

8. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    I´m waiting for mine as I type. I used to have a GF1 and moved to the NEX5 because of the sensor benefits, which are really awesome, but the NEX system will NEVER have primes as small as the ones for micro 4/3. Their lenses really defeat the entire purpose of a small system. I know I will really miss the awesome sensor on the NEX5 and the tiltable lcd but you really cannot beat the GF3 for size along with a 20mm, a 14mm or even the nex X pancake zoom.

9. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    Jessops have the twin lens kit at the moment for £379 after cash back,

10. bigrig

bigrig Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2012
    I just ordered one, my first micro 4/3 camera. Panasonic has it for $450 with the 14mm pancake and 14-42 zoom.

I was planning on getting a G3 for the new sensor and flip screen, but I knew I would want a pancake lens, too.

So I saw this deal and figured, give it a shot. I could sell the GF3 body and kit lens and effectively get the 14mm pancake for a nice price.

11. twentythree

twentythree Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2012
    Lismore NSW Australia
    I've had mine for about 6 months, it is my first m4/3 camera as well. Overall, I am loving it (although I do have a touch of GX1 envy, truth me told).

I like the small size, the touch screen, the well-thought-out Panasonic interface and the image quality of this camera very much.

I have invested fairly heavily in lenses, and I see no reason to change formats any time soon. With improvements in sensor technology, particularly in regards to high ISO images, I can see these lovely lenses seeing me through the next few bodies I buy.

I have purchased my first adapted lens, a Minolta 35-70 f/3.5 MD Macro, and have been enjoying the exploratory thrill of shooting manual. Takes me back to when I was learning photography as a kid, with the same sense of excitement and potential that led me to me love photography as an art form back then.

12. twentythree

twentythree Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2012
    Lismore NSW Australia
    GF3 convert

I've had mine for about 6 months, it is my first m4/3 camera as well. Overall, I am loving it (although I do have a touch of GX1 envy, truth me told).

I like the small size, the touch screen, the well-thought-out Panasonic interface and the image quality of this camera very much.

I have invested fairly heavily in lenses, and I see no reason to change formats any time soon. With improvements in sensor technology, particularly in regards to high ISO images, I can see these lovely lenses seeing me through the next few bodies I buy.

I have purchased my first adapted lens, a Minolta 35-70 f/3.5 MD Macro, and have been enjoying the exploratory thrill of shooting manual. Takes me back to when I was learning photography as a kid, with the same sense of excitement and potential that led me to me love photography as an art form back then.