Who's getting the 40-150/2.8 and why ?

marcr1230

Mu-43 Regular
I'm getting it because I want to shoot indoor sports and don't want to carry a massive DSLR

PDAF on the E-M1 is still not always as quick/accurate as a DSLR, but I think the weight and size advantage is worth the performance difference

RKTodd

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Randall Todd
I'll get it for weddings and for personal wildlife/landscape photos. Well, that and the 1.4 tele.

Jericho941F

Mu-43 Rookie
I think it's bigger than the 35-100 2.8, and cancels the portability of m4/3 system a bit. But, it is a pro grade lens, and rumors claim that is going to be sharper than zoom SHG lenses.

humzai

Mu-43 Veteran
Don't order the hood that comes with the lens. I think we will get much better af performance with this on the e-m1 vs some of the other teles available.

tomO2013

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Olympus looks to have gone to town on the specs of this lens.

It's considerably lighter and smaller than a 35mm equivalent while provide many tangible benefits.
For a start - the obvious range increase to 300mm is nothing to be sniffed at and the minimum focus distance that Olympus is really playing up in their Pro lenses makes them exceptionally versatile. This will likely be the most versatile 70-200 or equivalent on any system.

One thing that struck me about the lens announcement is that Olympus is putting a lot of emphasis on the focus speed of this lens. This lens may be good today but should excel when the EM1 mk ii or whatever Olympus eventually calls it is released.

I'm particularly interested to see how this lens performs on the EM1 for sporting and wildlife purposes...

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
Also check out these mtf's!

50-200mm SWD:
mtf_02.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

famed 35-100mm f/2:
mtf_02.gif

The new 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro:
specs_charts.jpg

The 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 is an amazing lens. And the 35-100mm f/2 is easily one of the greatest telephoto zooms ever made. In that light, this new 40-150mm f/2.8 is absolutely incredible! The corners are more or less on par and there's more of a difference between the sagittal and meridonial lines in the fine detail (60lpmm), but the center of the lens both sharper with better contrast than even the 35-100mm f/2. That's amazing.

trandg

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David
Im getting it to replace my Nikon 80-200mm AF-D. This is the lens that takes me away from my Nikon system and 100% into m43. Will be using this to shoot kitesurfing, skiing, and other action sports.

pman

Mu-43 Rookie
I would have use for it, but can't justify the expense. First I need to get better at photography.

Terrier

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
I'll also wait for initial reviews and tests before I pull the trigger. I plan to try it and the Panny 35-100 on my personal EM-1 before making my decision. Each has its own compromises but, I must admit, as of this moment, the 40-150 appears to have fewer. In fact, I can only come up with one shortcoming at this writing (compared to the Panny) and that's weight.

However, if it does everything as well as the early marketing claims I can live with the weight.

Zee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Surry Hills, Aus/ Baguio & Manila, Philippines
I'm a tele shooter, and this, along with the 300 F4 (when it arrives) will complete my len collection.

Main uses will be wildlife, landscapes, and sniping people from afar...

As someone that used to run around with a 7D, EF100-400, 100 F2.8L, EF-s 10-22, and a Sigma 50 1.4 EX, the weight of this is a non issue. compared to what I need to match it, even on a crop DSLR (which is an EF70-200 F2.8L IS II)- it IS light! If IQ matches that lens, it will be worthwhile.

I'll probably wait a few months until the street price settles a tad...

Z...

microfourthirdsnut

Mu-43 Regular
Don't order the hood that comes with the lens. I think we will get much better af performance with this on the e-m1 vs some of the other teles available.

I saw that after I ordered but cancelled the hood. I guess I never thought they would include it. It's rare when they do. Thanks Cheers.

EMC

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eddie
Long FAST Glass.......I do believe it is a reasonable price......seeming that the Wonderful 12-40mm Pro to me was an Excellent build......if it is the Quality as their first offering......this should ROCK!!! IMHO!

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've just in the past week picked up a used 50-200. Amazing lens and at less than a third of the price of the new 40-150, I'm likely to stay with it for a while. I'm sure the new lens is spectacular, but I only occasionally use long lenses, so for me it doesn't make sense to lay out that much cash. I must say I'm pretty impressed with the AF performance of the 50-200 on the E-M1. I've never used an E-series 4/3 camera or one of the latest Canon or Nikon bodies, but I can say that the 50-200/E-M1 combo is no worse than the Canon 5d mkii + 100-400 that I had some years ago.

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm very tempted but will wait a bit to see a head-to-head w/ the 43 50-200mm SWD. Oly says the new one is sharper & I'd bet it will have much faster AF. But its only 8 oz lighter & doesn't get to 200mm w/o the TC so that makes the weight difference even less. I've got the ZD300 f2.8. Having a 200mm will fill a useful gap. Will want to see how the 40-150+TC compares to the 50-200 @ 200mm. One thing really unique about the ZD is how uniform its performance is across all FL. I'll want to see the same or better from the new M.Z

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
I will be getting it - by rental. It looks as if Olympus has done everything right with this lens. The big issue for me is if I can justify the Return on Cost (ROC) within the next year.

Since it is nearly the same size, just a touch lighter, and 50mm shy of the 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 SWD it faces some pretty stiff competition. If the IQ with the MC-1.4X equals or exceeds the 50-200 and the dual linear VCM can significantly increase my keeper rate we might be in business. On the opposite end of the spectrum the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 is so much smaller and lighter I'm not really inclined to give it up.

Latest threads

Top Bottom