Who's geotagging photos ? (GPS Photo Tagger)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Herman, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I don't, but it might be interesting to do in order to have time and location easily stored with the images taken.
    Images can be uploaded to (for example) Panoramio.com.
    (The new Sony A55 has GPS aboard)

Which geotagging devices are recommended ?

No PC needed: ATP Photofinder, does NOT support RAW,
    not sure it supports 64 bit software.

Holux (HOLUX - The Pro Name in GPS), advice from a DPR member.

Any reviews ?

Comments are welcome.

2. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I'm just starting to. No hardware, just use Jeffrey Friedl's LR plugins and my head :biggrin:
    Recently got back from Turkey, and its really nice to be able to know where all the photos were taken :dance2:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Aniry

Aniry New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2011
    re:

Do you mean the GPS devoice that record the geo info, the heading, and also the tracking? If so, I recommend Eztag which I am using with my D300S half a year. It is easy to install and use, catch GPS info quickly, and accurately. And do not affect any function that my camera has, like hotshoe and 10-pin shutter. Moreover, it is even cheaper now, just $108, you can ordered online Shenzhen Easytag Hi Tech Co.,Ltd by paypal.
    Happy new year!

• Like Like x 2
  4. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    I would love to be able to do this. I take a lot of photos in the forest, well away from roads and trails (usually when hunting). I already use a GPS to mark points of interest but it would be great to be able to automatically associate images with coordinates instead of relying on my own recollection.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Interesting gadget - only for Nikon (& S5) at the moment so I'm safe. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  6. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    This, however, looks promising:

i-GOTU - EBay - AUD 65.00

Hard to tell how it works (haven't had time to look for reviews yet) but if it's just a matter of pressing the button each time you press the shutter button, then plugging it into the computer and the software automatically going through and editing the metadata in all your jpegs, it could be great.

Edit to add, the button seems to be just on/off. I guess it records your position and the time periodically and works off the photo timestamp to work out where it was taken.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Russell this looks like the way to go - website support is good and I downloaded the manual and it is very clearly set out. Apparently the software has been a bit buggy (according to the forum).

You have placed temptation in my way. :confused: :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  8. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Cool -- you can be my guinea pig.

If only there was a way to have a credit card attached to the cunning kick.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I picked up a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 for my wife for Christmas and it has a GPS built in for geotagging. So far she has not let me play with it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Acc to user reviews of the I-GOTU GT120:
    Okay for Windows, not fully Mac compatible.
    Leds are not clear enough at brigt daylight.
    While moving it takes time to fix first GPX.
    Memory is limited of size.
    Battery life approx 10-12 hours.

11. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    As my primary business employ is GPS I've been geotagging photos for some years. I've used a huge range but am currently using an Eye-Fi X2 Pro and it's geotagging using WLAN hotspots works well enough for me that I no longer carry a dedicated GPS geotagger.

But, if I had to recommend a unit it would be the Columbus V-900. Superb build quality, the software is **** so cross platform and it also supports audio tags so you can make notes to accompany photos if you wish.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Considering the technology is WLAN and not GPS it's very accurate. A lot depends on whether the location is town/city or countryside though.

Most of my testing so far has been in urban areas where it is within a few hundred yards at worst and almost pinpoint accurate at best.

• Like Like x 2
  13. sonus

sonus New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2010
    I use a Holux M-241 to log my tracks. It features a nice LCD which can spit out data like altitude, speed, average speed, distance traveled, memory used/free, etc. I've had it last as long as 10 hours on a single rechargeable AA battery (I just noticed a disclaimer on the site I linked to above discouraging the use of rechargeables, although I'm not sure why; I've never had any problems). It is very accurate and obtains a signal quickly in fair weather. I've had problems on cloudy days, but that is normal and to be expected of a such a small radio.

The software is crap, however. I've yet to come up with a satisfactory workflow, so for now I've been accumulating track logs alongside my shots.

• Like Like x 2
  14. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    I use an app on my phone to log and track my runs/hikes and one of it's features is a GPX file download option. Importing the file into Aperture 3, it does it's magic and geo-tags my images.

• Like Like x 2
  15. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    I also use an apps in my phone to get the GPX

Still had to look for geotagging software in Windows that works with Panasonic RW2 though

• Like Like x 2
  16. vonbonds

vonbonds Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 25, 2010
    Landenberg, PA
    Hi Atnitethic,

Is that an iPhone app? I am hoping so as I have an iPhone and use Aperture 3 so whatever you are using sounds perfect for me.

Tom

• Like Like x 2
  17. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I don't geo-tag. I figure if it was hard enough for me to find the right spot to photograph then I will make it hard for you as well. :tongue:

• Like Like x 2
  19. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    The app is called RunKeeper. It has both a free and "pro" version (which is free until the end of Jan!). The big difference between the two is audio cues for pace/time/distance.

The website for the app is Track Your Running, Measure Your Fitness, and Improve Your Training | RunKeeper and here's a quick overview of the Places feature in Aperture 3 where you can import and geo-tag your photos.

Using Aperture 3

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 4