Whoa what happened to my 7.5mm fisheye?! Out of alignment?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by phrenic, Oct 18, 2013.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    So I took my rokinon 7.5mm lens out for the first time after a few months and noticed that it looked off..while before I could crank the focus to infinity and shoot without any problems, it's now out of alignment or something. It looks to be focusing past infinity.

All at f8:

focus distance is at infinity:

next marker on focus ring, .8ft:

lastly at .3ft (I'll skip a few in between I think you get the idea.

One more bonus shot showing the destroyed corners:

So I haven't dropped it or anything, so I'm wondering why it's so off? So using the magnified view, I checked the corners while focusing, and it seemed best at the minimum focus distance and got worse as you focus further.

For reference, here are some earlier shots with this lens and why I'm so shocked..

So what do you guys think? Try to contact the manufacturer to get this serviced? I'm sure its out of warranty after almost 3 years since purchase but I am very disappointed..
  2. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    What camera are you using it on?
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd call Rokinon. I'm guessing it's just out of alignment. It's an MF lens, so it shouldn't be too hard I'd think. Though I remember Lens Rentals commenting how Samyang lenses and their clones are pretty much the disposal lenses of the digital age! :eek:
  4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    G5 and G1, no difference..
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah when the lens is only around 300$, it only makes sense to ship it and repair it if the cost is low. Kinda silly really. I emailed them 2 days ago and no word back yet. Hoping I won't have to call to follow up.

And since its out of warranty anyways, I might see if there's any local lens repair places. Hopefully its not some weird optical design that is hard to open and fix.
  6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Problem solved! Turns out the rearmost element seems to have unscrewed itself..maybe through vibration or shoddy manufacturing. Either way, I got it tightened up my my friendly local photo shop and I'm back in business. Happy to save the shipping cost to NY and repairs for what turned out to be rather simple to fix.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. cmorse

cmorse New to Mu-43

Oct 29, 2013
    Thank you for this. I bought one of these lenses used and it never focused quite to infinity. It was ok stopped down but never great. This post gave me the idea unscrew the rear element a bit and that seems to have done the trick.
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think this thread underlines why these lenses are cheap... Don't get me wrong, I love my Sammy 7.5 fisheye, but from previous experience using their 14/2.8 on FF, the build quality falls far short of the optical quality.