Who will go for Pan G2 ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Herman, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I might. Just waiting for more information. It is rumored that the G2 will have a touchscreen. To me personally I prefer a hi-res EVF. Does this mean that the G2 will NOT have an EVF?

Have a nice day.

Kind regards, Herman

2. melv

melv Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 3, 2010
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Hi Herman,

I'm waiting to see what the new G2 is like (an all round improved version of the G1 I hope). Can't say I'm bothered about a touchscreen though, sounds a bit gimicky? I don't think we will have too long to wait. If its what I want I will get rid of my D200. If it is not, then I will probably get the GH1. There is a photo show in Birmingham UK in just over a week, Panasonic are exhibiting there. I think I will go and have a look to see if the G2 is revealed.

Melv

• Like Like x 2
  3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    There is a big difference in price between the G1 and GH1

I like the DSLR feel of the G1..........but I would now like to have a go with some video

Should I get a GH1 or the next G1, (which should/may have video)........and trade in my G1.........it would really depend on the price........the GH1 and new EP 2 are expensive in my view.......I just do not really know why.........they should be a couple of hundred £s cheaper................at these prices it will be worthwhile Nikon and Canon coming in with a mirror-less cam, (similar size and competitor), and these two gorillas have the following to sell loads...........the Pany lenses are also not cheap....and again the gorillas can do a better job in this respect

I have decided, probably, to get an EP-1 - the prices have come down - that will give me video plus a physically smaller cam with IBIS for when I need one, say when I go out in the evening

At this time I feeling that sticking at the bottom end of the price range..... or buying the "last" model with pay dividends until the market has become clearer, (maybe later this year). When I want to upgrade, I feel that the "basic" stuff will always sell at a reasonable price provided it is not more than say 15 mnths old - but I always tend to keep cams anyway

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    That's what I call great 'lagging edge wisdom' Bill... always buy the outgoing model for the best value. And if it's the first of a new generation (e.g. G1, E-P1) - often the rev 2 model won't be that big of a step.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    and the other thing Brian, as I'm finding "it is the man, (sorry person), behind the thing............that is far far far more important

• Like Like x 2
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Personally, I am happy without a DSLR type and just use my "M" and the "GF1".

I am curious to know when and what a replacement for the current GF1 will offer but suspect we will not see anything this side of summer - I suspect Panasonic will look at the new sensor for a GF1 replacement, and either an articulated LCD or an improved EVF to match the Oly version.

The current GF1 for me is a superb camera and it is my "always with me" camera of choice due to size - it replaced my previous Canon G10 and is a huge step up in IQ and flexibility so I am in no rush to replace it and cannot afford nor want to enter the "must have latest version" club.

I am interested to see if Panasonic have completed their development of the new sensor enough to launch it in the G2?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Good advice Bill.....
    By the way.....I like the way you type.......
    (....) people are ....hard to find...
    shooter

• Like Like x 2
  8. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks guys for the replies. I'm feel happy cause I'm in need of new gear.

Enjoy your day.
    Kind regards, Herman

9. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    Are people really sheeps? Do they really think that touchscreen, built-in GPS are more important than better lens, wider lens choice, better menus, better noise algorithms, AF speed and other capabilities?

It seems that market is heading in the same direction as with digital zoom hype a few years ago. Shame.

• Like Like x 6
  10. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Totally agree....... if this is their offering, I'll pass.

• Like Like x 2
  11. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    I am with F1L1P on this one. Better. Especially better in the sense of ease of use. I think the G1 is good in terms of ease of use. In fact, for a first of its kind, it is remarkable. But tiny buttons closely spaced could be improved. More options on dials and fewer in menus would be better. Simpler manual focus would be better. In other words, improve it as a photographic tool. I hope they do not simply lengthen its list of features.

To answer the original question, if it is BETTER, I will probably buy it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. melv

Jan 3, 2010
    South Yorkshire, UK
    :smile:
    I agree with that sentiment. As of yet however, I have not committed to the m4/3 system because I want to see what Panasonic's latest will offer.

Because I do not yet have a m4/3 camera I have been unable to post any pictures on this site. However, so you can get a flavour of my style of photography I have created a Flickr account this morning and uploaded a few recent images for you to 'review' :smile: You can see them (hopefully) here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melvyn2011/

Cheers, Melv :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Nice work Melv :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  14. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    I always skip a gen or 2 before upgrading my camera, the G2 won't offer that much more than what my G1 has to offer now.

What i really want is either Olympus or Panasonic to bring out a Rangefinder body with built in EVF as good as the G1's if not better.

When that happens i may consider selling the G1 for this.
    My new GF1 is going nowere, until atleast GF3 hits the market.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hey guys, thanks for replies. Always great hearing from you.
    I just sit down and wait for what will Pan to table.
    Hope they will...

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hey Razer I agree with your comment about GF1 not going anywhere until at least GF3.

The camera currently does everything I want and more so will stay with me until something radically different/better comes along.

I keep eluding to this and see you are of a similar opinion - bring out a small rangefinder (a la Leica CL) with good electronic finder and I suspect quite a few will be tempted.

17. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Hi Melv. Lots of nice shots on your flickrstream, thanks for sharing. One thing for you to consider Melv, is the absolute bargains that can be had atm for the G1, take a look here Just noticed that the price has gone up £20 in the last couple of days, still a bargain though at £369, even to a Yorkshire man. :biggrin::biggrin:

John

• Like Like x 2
  18. melv

Jan 3, 2010
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Hmm,

good point John. And thanks for your kind words

Melv