1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who want to pay $268.99 for Hex 40/1.8???

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by chefkenny, Apr 1, 2010.

1. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I've got one you can have for half that price :rofl:

Cheers

Brian

3. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    I paid $20 for mines. LOL

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    that is a lens that sold for between 15 and 30 dollars a year before micro four thirds revived interest in excellent old manual glass ,

at that price id want it to be a konica rangefinder lens at least,...which can be pricey.

Sure , that s a stupid price , but the listing itself says alot about where we are in this juncture in photo history...

.where is a nice flat faster than f 2 that is a good portrait type lens[40mm - 50 mm] thats really small? , the lens roadmap for micro 4\3 is a travesty created by corporate morons and things like this listing are the unfortunate result......
    it shouldnt be more than 60m -80 bucks imho , not because it aint worth it!!!! hexanon glass is superb, but just because hate to see artificial inflation of what used to be an affordable slr treasure

crazy stuff ..........lol

5. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Totally agree, I snap a Hex 135/3.2 for $20 last week and it is a pretty sharp lens too.
    For the money of that 40/1.8 I will consider either the Contax G 35/2 or 45/2, that's almost the same or less than that.

6. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I just paid £10 for mine and it's pin sharp!

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I picked up a mint copy for $45.00 USD.
    It's real nice but I'll let it go for $200.00.

8. chefkenny

chefkenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Florida
    Looks like those XBay guys really know what they are selling LOL. Just found Hex 135/3.2 with buy it now for $75 + shipping. I bought one last week for $21+6.5 shipping ( Ex+ condition with case ).

9. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I gave one away with a nice Konica Auto-reflex on the back of it.

But I still have another, with a Black FS-1 on the back of it.

10. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Yes, that's what it cost -- if it looked rough or you were lucky. With less luck or with "better cosmetics" you could easily pay five times as much

Noktor.com is where it's at.

Incidentally, of the interesting portraits that I see, hugely more are taken with "standard" than with "portrait" lenses.

Heh heh, yes, Panasonic's financial state has moronic misunderstanding of consumer preferences written all over it! Right, sure.

11. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    look hohoho, [ you dont seem as jolly as santa] that lens was almost being given away on e bay until recently and micro four thirds is why thats no longer the case

i got the superb 57 1.2 for less than 250, the 50 1.4 mint for 35, and the 1.7 for 20
    but prices are rising because there is no affordable fast glass for micro 43 and people are realizing that these lenses can be adapted

yes they are morons who have little respect for consumers or an understanding of what photographers want or need .....i really believe that .....micro four thirds is a case in point.
    All over the internet, those who love cameras and come from an understanding of the size and convenience of a range finder camera have been clamoring for a small form factor rangefinder form type digital machine at an affordable price, but have been ignored for years ,

the first 2 machines from panny were pseudo slrs [g1,gh1] nice cameras but not slrs but lookalikes and still bulkyish [ almost the same size as the oly 420SLR]

i was not until oly took a chance with the ep1 that the camera makers finally woke up
    to what people were clamoring for .
    you will see every major manufacturer playing catch up for the next several years

such lofty firms as nikon sony canon pentax will all be playing catch up ,the oppoturnity to get consumers excited about cameras again was always there .....

so why did it take so long for one to make a small formfactor machine that married a decent sized sensor to a small iterchangable lens body? , its what people wanted.... the micro fourlthirds revolution will change the camera landscape with as great an impact as 35mm did in the last century.....but they were completely unaware , photographers knew what they wanted.....consumers looking for something more than a p&s toy knew what they wanted ..... but they didnt....because they are clueless!

even the gf1 was a much greater sucess and triumph for panny
    but they still dont get i,t look at the lx3 for instance they completely misunderstood the market and demand for this sweet little fast F2 wide 24mm equiv camera thousands have begged for for years begged for for years and could not produce enough cameras for almost a year

the same thing happened with the 20 1.7 ,demand outstripped production they didnt have a CLUE how many people wanted or needed that lens,

who cares about panny financial statement , it does not make them wise when it comes to things photographic, what common sense we may see is the result of the designers and the well intentioned ...the guys at the top are clueless and if you dont agree with me that fine ......

cheers and a beer

edit:just remembered something i saw about a month ago.... even samsung said they were surprised that for their new mirror-less system and the huge demand for the 30mm prime, that didn't expect it at all, [ seen at dp reviews ] i believe they said that they sold one for every 2 cameras a demand that shocked them , but it didn't shock me , people want fast primes , and they are ....................................clueless

12. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    noktor huh? hmmmmm, not for me its an exotic curosity and nothing more , it also cost a small fortune

"Incidentally, of the interesting portraits that I see, hugely more are taken with "standard" than with "portrait" lenses."

not sure what you mean here, the standard lens of 35 mm [45-55mm]
    is the portrait lens of m4\3 {90-100mm equiv}

my standard 45mm f2 contax g lens is a portrait lens on micro 4\3

or do you mean that more interesting portraits are being taken with 2o mm lenses?wich is normalish on micro

13. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    If you say so. But here it cost a lot more (though still little).

You seem to assume that you're typical of many people with m4/3 cameras. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. I don't see any reason to believe that you are, and rather suppose that you aren't.

You can get a used Epson rangefinder fairly cheaply.

All over the non-internets, people (and I'd guess hugely more of them) are contentedly using either slow zoom lenses on unnecessarily large cameras or slow zoom lenses on small cameras

How do you know that the appearance of the EP1 (which I'm reliably informed has sold well but not as well as the Panasonic offerings) caused camera companies to wake up? I mean, you could be right, but I've seen no evidence of this.

It's what you wanted.

Stick a finder on the EP1 and you're not so terribly far off the size of one of the smaller Pentax DSLRs that preceded it. Decent sized sensor, smallish, interchangable lens body. Or get one or other of the various fairly compact cameras that have a fixed zoom lens.

Anyone interested in a cool estimation of Panasonic's degree of cluefulness.

I thought at first that you wanted to persuade. But I start to wonder if this isn't just arm-waving.

By a "standard" lens I here meant something that has pretty much the angle of view that a 35 to 55mm lens has on 36x24mm. So of course the Panasonic 20mm lens would be a standard lens. (This scales up: portraits on "6x6" that interest me tend to be taken with 80mm or wider lenses, not 120mm or longer.) Of course this is a matter of taste. Well, such is my taste.

14. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    what i mean by waking is what is happening in the mirror less space, all the manufacturers will move in this direction within the next few years and i believe that the ep1 and its unique size to sensor ratio is what did it, the first 2 pannys were about the same size as an e420 and were, as i correctly characterized, pseudo slrs designed to be safely accepted by consumers of slrs,
    the first camera to realize the size benefit of no mirrorbox was the ep1 and the gf 1 shortly thereafter,
    dispensing with a eye level finder was part of that strategy , in the beginning at least
    what the ep1 did and the gf1 folllowing in its wake did is change the camera world ......
    and if you dont think a revolution is underway in the camera industry because of it, then i respectfully suggest you take another look.

within 3 years or less all the manufacturers will have clones of the ep1 gf1 form factor camera marrying small size to large sensor this is a new paradigm , whether you realize it or not, and they didnt see it coming .... you already know why i think that is, so a will not repeat myself here

quote :
    By a "standard" lens I here meant something that has pretty much the angle of view that a 35 to 55mm lens has on 36x24mm. So of course the Panasonic 20mm lens would be a standard lens. (This scales up: portraits on "6x6" that interest me tend to be taken with 80mm or wider lenses, not 120mm or longer.) Of course this is a matter of taste. Well, such is my taste.

from where i stand a 35 mm lens on a 24x36 sensor camera is a true wide angle
    when you get to 40 -45 you are in normalish terratory up to say 55-60 mm

above that you are in classic short tele much used in portraiture 85mm ish
    for instance

i personally think using a 35mm lens on full frame or its eqiv fov on another format is a poor choice as it distorts the face in an unflattering way , especially as you move in close

15. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    re: epson rangefinder
    could you find me one of those "fairlly cheaply' epson rangefinders please , they are one of the most sought after used cameras in the world

i have not seen it for less 2500 usd used and its still offered new here and there"new" for about 3-4000 usd , its a 6.1 mp camera

16. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    All I see is that Samsung is marketing a camera that resembles the G1 and Sony has announced one that resembles a boxy Pen. For all I know half a dozen other companies are going to do much the same thing. However, I've seen no evidence to suggest this.

The Epson seems to cost less here than it does there.

17. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    true about the sony mirrorless mockup, in fact it reminds me of the mock up that olympus first created before releasing the ep1, ugly in the same way

within 3 years all the players will gave large sensor non slr machines , the incredible success
    of micro 4\3 is why . the people have spoken and they want the dollars\pounds\euros

the epL1 now outsells the gf1w 20mm and soon there will be a multitude of large sensor small body cameras in many varieties and forms that will displace large slrs like the early 35mm cams largely displaced thespeed graphics and medium format of the early 20 c

can you point me to an affordable epson digital rangefinder ?
    i would like to own one, but im afraid i cant afford it

the re-release in 2009 of an "x "version of that epson rangefinder only available in japan for , i believe about 2000 usd

18. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    rangefinderforum.com has featured Epson RD-1 cameras for as low as $900. $1250 on a regular basis. My mint-in-box M8 was under $2500, under 400 clicks. They have been as low as $1700.

19. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    thanks brian 900 is definitely more my speed im gonna look right now

20. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

epson rangefinder

Hello everybody! My first post - not counting the intro.
    Here in Spain there is a buying/selling website called 'Habitamos'. In the Photo section there are at present nine Epson R-D1s on offer - some with lenses some without. The cheapest is 220€ (yes, two - twenty ) and the dearest 1,400€. Five are from last year and the others since Jan 4th. I contacted 2 from last year but got no reply (presumably sold). But, a word of WARNING. I was all set to buy the 750€ (the latest) but the photo rang a bell - and sure enough it was the stock photo for the Epson entry in Wikipedia!! I investigated a bit more and found it was a scam (the guy used the same text for all his ads and just changed the article). But this doesn't mean all the others are not on the level. If you're interested visit www.habitamos.com, click on 'Fotografía y ....' under 'Compra Venta' on left and then write 'epson rd1' in the 'Buscar por Palabra' slot and click 'Buscar'