Who uses their E-PL2 still as main camera...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by phl0wtography, Sep 16, 2012.

1. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    ... and why?

When reading on the boards here I noticed that many have an E-PL2 in their signature, some even have it in there as their only camera.

I got a black body myself a few weeks back because I really like its looks, and since I always wanted to try an Oly m4/3 (used Panny GF1, G1, GH1, G2 until now), I couldn't resist at that price point.

I am really satisfied with its ergonomics. Size seems about perfect for me and the customizable controls leave nothing to be desired for me.

Before I bought it I read everything I could on its IQ. Compared DxO, DPR and the like and was glad to see its RAW output at base ISO matches or surpasses newer m4/3 models. My favourite photos are portraits, so I need detail, detail, detail and no noise.
    To reduce noise in the eyes (my nemesis) I usually mount a flash whenever the light is anything short of perfect and generally use ETTR techniques (like with any m4/3 body I used). Still, I could do with more details in the iris - I'm a sucker for flawlessly sharp eyes at 100% viewing size.

A friend of mine who is a successful international photographer uses everything from m4/3 to MF, analog and digital alike, and he told me he has no plans upgrading his GF2 (which he uses with Leica glass) because after testing newer models with an 16mp sensors he came to the conclusion that the gained resolution is not noticeable in terms of details.

Well, what do I want with all this, you might asked. I want to know why some of you still keep their 12mp cameras, especially their E-PL2. I often think about upgrading but am not really sure the added resolution is noticeable. And I'm sure as hell don't fork out money for "a bit" less noise at base or "a bit" more details - I don't care for high ISO performance, never leave base. OTOH I would gladly part with my money for virtually no noise (the E-pl2 is very noisy even at base without the best of light) at base ISO and significantly more detail.
    So, in short, what kept you from upgrading to 16mp? The moneys or do you see no gain in IQ for your photography worth a new body either?

Thanks for your input and excuse the somewhat confusing post

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    What lens or lenses are you using for your portrait work with the E-PL2? I would think that would be more important than the choice of camera body for you.

3. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Olympus 45mm/1.8, Zuiko 50/1.4, Zuiko 135/2.8, and some other legacy glass. Wanna get the 75/1.8 when money allows it.

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    If you're talking about camera body I use ep3 and gf1 and don't have any plans to upgrade either one. The gf1 because of my street shots I can take of it. I just toggle the on switch and snap away with its fast start up time.

I was thinking of a gx1 but it does also come down to money and what I want with a camera. I am extremely satisfied with my gf1 for my type of shooting. My ├ęp3 is for my legacy glass mostly.

So 12mp is definitely enough for me at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Good choices. Sounds like the 75 will be particularly well-suited to your style.

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I have currently 4 camera bodies which include 3 MFT and one Sony a580 . I love EPL2 and ergs are great. I also love onboard flash . I like OMD's output but love unobstructive EPL2 and hand grip is great. I also have GX1 which is a sexy camera. If you ask me to pick up one camera I have to live with , It will be EPL2 -just because I formed a bond with it, I am comfrotable , It have me stunning results unto ISO 1600 and It shoots clean videos .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for your contribution, Bhupinder, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Since I have an eye on OM-D and GX1, your experience owning the three of them is very valuable! May I ask how in your opinion the e-pl2's IQ at base ISO holds up against the two 16mp bodies under real world shooting conditions?
    Unfortunately in my country, much like in the rest of Europe, shops make it hard for you to test stuff and have a zero return policy unless a product suffers from a production flaw. This leaves me with friends and fellow photogs owning the gear I wanna test, which is uncommon enough since most shoot aps-c and ff.

8. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    I use an EP-2...main camera, but likely would use the PLs for the same reasons...does what I need it to do and I am still getting to know its potential...with kit lens, a Panny 14-45 and a number of adapted Nikon lenses.

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wont be able to tell the difference if you show me pics from these three cameras at base ISO.Its only ISO 1600 upwards when U can see still clean output from OMD but GX1 one is only one stop better than EPL2.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    My all pics in all threads are talen with EPL2 untlll a month ago when I got GX1 and shot few with it .
    Here is a thread with EPL2 and PL25 mm .

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/pl25-hits-melbourne-cbd-performs-very-well-heavy-post-31216/

This one with Oly 45 mm 1.8 and u can see what this little machine offers.

https://www.mu-43.com/f57/caution-if-you-see-thread-u-might-poorer-usd399-soon-19671/

10. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks, will hit your albums when I return home, am on my iPhone. Much appreciated!
    As I said I don't care for high ISO, but I was pleasantly surprised when I took a few shot at 1600 with the PL2. Mind you it's unusable for portraits but where low frequency edges (architecture, typography, extended shapes and the like) dominate the frame, LR4.1 does a terrific job of cleaning up and sharpening those files. Not so much with high frequency edges (eyes, hair, foliage and the like) but I doubt that any sensor smaller than ff is capable of capturing fine detail at 1600 and above for 100% viewing. Which again is not what I'm after anyway, just saying.

Edit: Just got around looking at both albums. The 45mm one is great. And knowing those are SOOC is even more impressive. It's my favourite lens too! Never leave home without it. The PL25 OTOH is pretty disappointing. Maybe the light wasn't that great on that day, appears what seem to be a heavily overcast day, little light to work with - unlike the session with the Oly 45 where you had plenty of light - but the pictures are noisy/blotchy as hell even at that small sizes, and not very sharp. I know the lens is great, which confirms my findings so far, and what I read about the E-PL2 that it needs near perfect light for great output. Which is fine by me. I come from film and depending on the film's speed I'm used to pack up my stuff when light levels drop.

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My favorite lens on the E-PL2 is the Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4. For some reason that lens just sings on the E-PL2. At base ISO, I think I prefer the pictures from that combo over my E-M5. There is just something to the E-PL2 images that I love.

• Like Like x 1
  12. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Interesting, any reason why? I have the Panny 20. Optically it's a close call I guess, I just prefer the wider FOV of the eq. 40mm.

I know that feeling from my LX5. Although on paper it's way behind m4/3, the output of its sensor is just amazing. Maybe it's the fact that the LX5 still features a CCD sensor that to my eyes renders very film like with noise that reminds me of very fine grain. Maybe it's the fact that the "Zoom"icron is a lens capable of capturing the finest detail and rendering very natural yet punchy. I doubt the LX7's new CMOS sensor can match the quality of the LX5, and the LX3 respectively. Both versions hold a special place in my bag.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    At base ISO, I find the detail to be incredibly good. The newer sensors don't have the same grit. :wink: Even though I love my E-M5, it doesn't give me that same kinda satisfaction!

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I do.
    No particular reason why. I'm quite satisfied with my lens line-up so I don't see me getting anything in the near-term. Thus I''m now trying to save up for the E-PL5. (I do not like the OMD/GH2/GH3 form factor).

15. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Great to have someone tune in who uses only an PL2! So if I understand correctly you think the small gain in IQ (if any) hasn't been worth the pricey upgrade yet and you rather bought glass, if your signature is anything to go by? I handled the OM-D for like an afternoon. What struck me odd was it's form. It's very small yet bulky, kinda weird. See this [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6w3i-bE5Q4"]YouTube review[/ame] from around 16.45mins - 19mins to know what I mean.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use the E-PL2 in the studio a lot. Although that might have to change soon since the LCD is getting kinda wonky. It's served me through so much already, so I'm satisfied with that. I would not call any of my bodies my "main" body, as they all serve different purposes. I have a mini I carry everywhere and I shoot everything non-professional with it. I have another mini I carry with a full compact set for location work. I have an E-PL2 that sticks around the studio or goes in the big bag as a spare along with all my bigger lenses and lights. They all see equal use in their own field.

Why I bought it was simple - at the time it was the very best Pen available. Better, sharper images than the E-P2, and better controls and less limitations than the E-PL1.

Why I still use it is also simple. There are better bodies out now, but they are only a little better. When the E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1 came out, they were slightly better than the E-PL2 in some ways but still outputted very similar images (I went out and bought two of the Minis for their great small form). However, the E-PL2 still had its spot as something in between the E-PM1 and E-P3 in terms of controls, size, and price point. Like a poor-man's E-P3 if you may. It's still a solid workhorse, and a very viable body to use.

Good chance I'll replace it with the OM-D. I've already got the weather sealed adapter for my lenses, but the question is if I really need a new camera? 3 bodies is enough for now, until the LCD on my E-PL2 gets too wonky to use.

• Like Like x 1
  17. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for your opinion, Ned. Say, those portraits on your linked page are those done with E-3/E-PL2? They are amazing, especially the eyes, they are of exactly the gleaming vivid kind that I like so much in portraits.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks!
    Yes, the E-3, E-PL2, and even the E-PM1 for practically all of them. :) Although I do see one or two from an E-510. It was actually sharper than the E-3.

19. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    So, in short, 12mp bodies. Amazing.

Seeing your background as a pro photog, maybe you can answer a question please. With Panny bodies I made the experience (backed up by extensive testing by some guys over at DPR) that it's best to stick to full stops when cranking up the ISO. At a shooting yesterday I accidentally switched my E-PL2 to auto ISO and didn't notice until later. When sifting through the exposures, I was under the impression that ISO 1600 shots were cleaner than 1250. So is this true with Oly's bodies too, to stick to 200,400,800,1600,... instead of 1/3 stops? Seeing that all but the OM-D's sensor came from Panasonic afaik, it should only be logical.

20. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    My main camera body is still the E-PL1 and the E-PL2 is the back-up.

Someday the price will come down enough on the E-M5 that I'll probably be able to get one of those too, but technically I don't really need it to get the results I want.

I definitely don't have the budget ($100/month) to buy any camera at the initial MSRP pricing. I'm still waiting for the E-M5 to start showing signs of the usual 1% per week price decline that consumer electronics eventually fall into. I'll probably be able to get one about six months after that. Used might be another option, but the various reports of failed E-M5s needing warranty repairs has me pretty leery of getting stuck with someone else's lemon.

If the next generation of PENs have the new sensor, but not the new IBIS that will probably not be enough to get me to pick up another camera body versus waiting for a more reasonably priced E-M5.

• Like Like x 1