Who uses & likes Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Ross the fiddler, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop to Win Pro 8, 64 bit from 32 bit Win7 (Pro) & have ordered the Windows Pro 8 Upgrade 64/32b disc (at a discount price) so I can run Capture One Pro 7 (or even just Express 7) which needs a 64 bit platform to run on. Another reason to do the upgrade is to make use of the 8GB of RAM that came installed in the laptop that cannot be used at present. I am not going to rush into doing this upgrade until I know all will be as desired & will just leave it in its box if it was a bad decision. :rolleyes:

I need some helpful advice here please. :confused:
  2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I like Windows 8.... except for the added interface at the beginning it just runs almost the same as Windows 7. Also, they are currently working on a fix to restore the buttons from Windows 7 that they removed. So in a few months you can actually configure it to look almost like Windows 7 again AFAIK.
  3. j9ksf

j9ksf Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 20, 2013
    You should find that Windows 8 runs well with 64 bit applications. I like the self repair features of this system. Windows 8.1 is almost here for those that miss the start button, but I have had no problems with the current start screen.
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I like Windows 8 although I can't say it is a huge improvement over W7 which I also liked.

I am currently using the 8.1 beta that I downloaded from the Windows store. It does resolve the issues that many people complained about the W8 user interface..

1) a start button - left click toggles between the star page and desktop
    2) right click brings up a start menu with shut down options
    3) boot to desktop

W8 is noticeably faster than W7. The App Store is a waste of time however.
  5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I'm not sure what you have bought or how you intend to install, but you can't upgrade a 32bit version of Windows to a 64 bit version. It needs to be a complete reinstall. See about a quarter of the way down : Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows (tab titled: Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?)
  6. Ross the fiddler

May 20, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies so far as they are much appreciated.

The disc I am getting is the same as this one (but from within Australia). Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 32/64BIT Upgrade Version (Retail DVD) - 3UR-00006 - CCL Computers

Yes, I have read those paragraphs too, which could mean something slightly different, but the assurance of the retailer & as it appears on the above UK site with this "Overview - Windows 8 Pro Upgrade from XP/Vista/Win 7", I'm hoping I've got the right disc pack to do it, but maybe it isn't going to get me from 32 bit to 64 bit. That's where I'm still not sure & is the main reason for doing an upgrade in the first place
  7. thazooo

thazooo Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Dana F.
    It works :)
    The grandson likes it, he's use to the Ipods and such, so the interface of 'Touch' is OK with him.
    I did a clean install on his box since it ran Vista. No Problems.
    Myself......for every day computing it's OK. Interface wasn't hard to learn.
    When I ran into a problem with a Program and driver, There were Way TOO many mouse clicks to get around inside the OS. TOO much searching.
    Win 8's quick, loads faster on his 32 bit box compared to my Win 7 64 bit.
    Win 7 64 bit leaves it in the dust when processing image or vid files.

8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I think the distinction here is that the software you bought is a license upgrade but that it may be a new install (blank system after install) rather than a software upgrade which leaves your existing software and data files.

I recently "upgraded" to Win8 from XP, though I bought the "super deluxe upgrade", one of the one's Dell sells that comes complete with new hardware. My old XP box was hopelessly out-of-date. So far, I'm reasonably satisfied with Win8.

A lot of the default behavior is onerous to long time Win users. Too much is hidden too deep and too much is altered to make it touch tablet friendly at the expense of larger screen mouse based interaction. It doesn't take much tweaking the fix things. There are a number of tutorials out there that will guide you. My biggest complaint now is some poor focus behavior in the new File Explorer. While searching, be sure to search for tips about enabling "god mode".
  9. Ross the fiddler

May 20, 2012
    Yes, I realised it has to be a clean install (from within the upgrade routine from the DVDs as the original Win 7 needs to be running to do it) & I've been checking out all the Toshiba drivers (for this laptop) I will have to download for Win 8 & the ones that need to be removed & the Win 7 ones that are to be used, as well as being aware of certain programs applications & functions that won't be able to run. I don't think I'll be rushing into it soon & the disc (arrived today) can sit in the box for now until I'm ready to do the whole thing (& hopefully I will have been able to upgrade the internet speed by then too). What's the general thing to do here with the drivers? Should I download & save them on a CD (or DVD) beforehand or is the laptop capable of downloading these drivers after the clean install (upgrade path)? We'll see if I am as keen to do this still in a month or two's time. :rolleyes:

Just to add, apart from having everything backed up, I'll be working live with everything on a PC before I attempt it (on this laptop) & maybe do a restore back to the start day maybe (if I can).
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's no where close to the same as Win 7 IMO. Folks like me wanted the start button back for that small menu list of apps. We don't like the giant full screen tiles of apps (well, personally, I like it on tablets.. just not the desktop). The start button doesn't bring back the Win7 menu, it just toggles the full screen tiles. That's not what we wanted... so you're still stuck w/ 3rd party tools for that.
  11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I think its awful. I really like 7. I wish there was a way to go to a classic start menu for laptops. I think it might be more useful for tablets, but not PCs or laptops.

I hope 8.1 remedies some of this for PCs and laptops.
  12. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I've adapted to the Start page well enough. I have done several things that have helped:

1. Killed all animation on tiles
    2. Reduced the size of all large tiles to the smaller square except Desktop
    3. Added all of the Admin Tools to Start
    4. Regrouped everything placing the dorky Apps way to the right and off screen in its initial presentation and all of my frequently used applications are in groups toward the left so they're visible on the initial presentation of Start.
    5. Use Sleep rather than Shutdown 99% of the time so that when I wake up the machine each morning it shows the Desktop as I left it the previous night.
  13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use win8 on touch only (no mouse or keyboard) and it is an unmitigated disaster. Anything that requires typing (like user names/passwords) is horrid.

How remarkably stupid to have a tablet for portability and then in order to use it in any meaningful way needing to attach a keyboard and mouse ...

My kids get ahold of the tablet and launch 1000 games and there is no way to close them. You can swipe all you want to no avail. Pretty much have to kill the process in the task manager.

And the new hardware with windows 8 boot security renders many device drivers unable to operate (unless all the security features are disabled).
  14. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I upgraded a Vista PC to Windows 8, and installed Pokki (I think that's the name) which gave me back a kind of start button and allowed booting into desktop. I haven't seen the tiles screen in months now. Everything else seems to be just like Windows 7, and of course the required 64 bit OS will be an upgrade in itself compared to 32 bit.
  15. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    I like Win 8. I think that MSFT has been largely successful in its goal of creating a common user experience / user interface across devices. The tiles are easy to use and manipulate on a phone or tablet, as well as on computers that are more frequently including touch screens. I have never understood all the criticism about the tiles given how easy it is simply to run your computer in the traditional desktop mode (and the prevalence of new model hybrids that turn into straight up tablets where touch is important). It also seems funny how the once ridiculed Start button has become so loved and its absence one of the top things people complain about. Anyway, I have found Win 8 easy to use and appreciate its flexibility in being able to switch from the Metro/tile look to the desktop one.
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You've had 8GB of RAM all this time and have only been using 4GB of it with a 32-bit OS? You should have just re-installed Win7 Pro and chosen 64-Bit instead. :D

That said, there's no real reason not to upgrade to Win 8 if that's now in the cards. However, there's likely no real reason to upgrade either, depending on your hardware configuration.

I like Windows 8 because of its increased potential with newer hardware. If you've used Windows 8 on a touch screen, then you would never want to go back to Windows 7. If you're still using a non-touch screen though with only a mouse or other pointer device, then Windows 7 is probably as good as you're going to get. However, if you look at how technology is moving, most PC laptops as well as all-in-one desktops are all using touch screens now. Plus we now have all these other devices like tablets and smart phones. They can all be installed with the Windows 8 operating system, which allows you to sync your devices like never before. Not just your phone and your tablet, but your desktop and laptop as well! Windows 8 marries both apps and applications, so you can now run the same apps you use on your phone or tablet... on your laptop or desktop. Or you can continue to run all your traditional WinXP, Win7, or Vista software just as you always have been.

So Windows 8 gives you the greatest potential for inter-connectivity between all devices than we've ever seen before. But of course, that all depends on you having the hardware to make use of that potential. For a poor guy like me, I like the potential it shows but it doesn't make any practical difference in my real life due to my limited resources for hardware. For others, it could mean a lot more.

However, for those of us who can't really use the potential, it doesn't hold you back either. Windows 8 is generally faster and more efficient to run, so getting used to it simply primes you with new techniques and new knowledge to keep up with upcoming technology.

So I would say go ahead and upgrade if it's well within your budget. Otherwise, re-installing your Windows 7 software in 64-bit would be a cheaper option with just as good results for the time being if you don't have hardware (ie, like a touch screen) or other devices which could benefit from a Windows 8 environment. Windows 8 just lays the groundwork for better usage of today and tomorrow's hardware. It doesn't work any better (or worse) than Win7 with yesterday's hardware.