1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Who uses iA Intelligent Auto Mode?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ralf-11, May 23, 2019.

1. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    I am old enough to remember when the Canon A1 came out, first SLR with a P mode.
    All the Fleet Street hacks loved it, they said it had an A mode for aperture priority, a S mode for shutter priority, and a P mode for Pi$$ed, never miss a shot even after a liquid lunch.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I've never used till I read this thread. Mostly aperture priority. Occasional use of shutter priority. Generally manual when using strobes or working slowly. But this thread prompted me to try iAuto+. My initial thought is that it has a place in my toolbox. Seems to do a pretty dang good job when doing run and gun photography. Initial results at least have me planning to play with it more.

3. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I never use iA. I rarely don't use P.

On the EM1.2 the rear dial changes the shutter speed and aperture while retaining the same exposure. The front dial changes the exposure (i.e. exposure compensation).

I could put the camera into A or S mode and achieve the same thing but it's quicker and easier to just keep it in P.

I do use A, S and M when I'm trying for specific things, but for most photography they're just a less convenient way to achieve a shot I can more easily capture in P.

4. Petermfiore

Petermfiore Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2015
    I use M and set shutter and aperture. I also set AUTO ISO....Works very well with both GX85 and G9.

Peter

5. Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis Mu-43 Veteran

I have a G6 and P mode is a useful tool for me as it turns the G6 into a twin control camera. I can do the simple thing and just change exposure using the zoom lever on the easy (auto) side of the program, yet a click in of the rear dial means I then have aperture control on the rear dial, and shutter speed on the top lever. I can leave the ISO where I want it and basically be in M while in P mode. Brilliant!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I used to use A exclusively but have switched to using M and S these days. I know a retired press photographer, who now leads photo tours (not workshops) who just tells everyone to set everything on auto and let the camera do the work.

7. Rusty69

Rusty69 New to Mu-43

Jun 26, 2019
    Yes, I totally agree with you. I tend to leave my G2 on Program mode, unless I am taking florals and want to expand my bokeh via aperture control. I must also confess to using iA more often than not, when operating in what I term "snapshot" mode. Too lazy to mess with multiple settings when collecting memories of Brighton Beach, etc. for my friends and family.

8. Brownie

Brownie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2018
    SE Michigan
    Interesting that someone should revive this thread today because I've been thinking about it for the last few weeks. I did exactly as I said and set up a P mode on my camera with EC assigned to the front dial. I used auto ISO and set the limit at 1600 for a bit, then changed it to 800.

After spending some time with it I would give it a B, maybe a B+. One thing of note is that when you hit the limits based in the ISO setting you cannot take a photo. It doesn't like extreme shutter speeds at either end, nor does it like aperture settings that are outside of what it thinks are best. I can use the EC to change the exposure to some degree. If I give the camera carte blanch to do what it wants with ISO it can end up in the stratosphere.

What I've learned is that by the time I roll the back dial to set the shutter/aperture where I want it, then roll the front dial to set EC if needed, I am just as far ahead to leave the camera in M and roll one dial for shutter and one for aperture. I can over/underexpose if I want, and the camera doesn't give me any grief if I force it to do something it doesn't like. Each time I've used the camera in P I end up back in M, or sometimes going back and forth.

I'd welcome any advice from those of you who regularly use P. It seems intuitive when you want to switch on the fly, but the limitations are aggravating.

9. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    I use a video feature called HS 4K 60p a lot, and it uses auto exposure and manual focus of the camera while shooting the HS or high speed. However, the WB, photo style and iResolution can be adjusted and used while shooting the HS mode. So not fully Ai.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.