Who uses iA Intelligent Auto Mode?

Real Name
Steve
I don't usually get into any discussion regarding technicalities, but at this moment I'm experimenting with using ND filters, so I take a reading in A, because I want to shoot at 2.8, transfer it to manual, because I don't want any correction in camera.

I don't get the point of P mode, if you want a narrow DoF in brightly lit conditions won't P naturally increase the DoF by closing the aperture down, or vice versa?

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When a fixed shutter speed is more important than aperture or ISO for one example. ;)
If you want a fixed shutter speed, then either your aperture, or ISO has to float, or you're going to under/over expose your shot. In which case, the camera is still making the decisions for you. Which the purists seem to be dead against, as that somehow kills the creativity. Personally, I'm not fussed. I'll shoot in whatever auto/semi auto mode I feel like, at that particular time.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I don't get the point of P mode, if you want a narrow DoF in brightly lit conditions won't P naturally increase the DoF by closing the aperture down, or vice versa?
Yeah the camera will choose what it thinks is best, but you can override to choose the aperture you want and let the camera set the shutter speed and ISO (if in auto ISO) for proper exposure, like shooting in A. But then if your next shot is more dependent on a specific shutter speed, you can again adjust by spinning the same wheel to choose your shutter, just like shooting in S. The difference being you didn't have to change the dial on your camera to do it, just spin the wheel to suit your needs and let the camera do the rest. Fast.

All of this talk has me thinking I'll set up a custom using P and assigning EC to the front dial.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
All of this talk has me thinking I'll set up a custom using P and assigning EC to the front dial.
Right on! That's exactly what I have for my C1 setting. That gives me exposure control on the front dial and creative control on the rear dial. Easy peasy two dial control of everything.

I did say when I admitted to using P mode that any mention of it causes a stir and this thread has certainly not been an exception. I'll admit that there are plenty of situations that I would not use P. Sports and anything requiring a fast shutter speed being the biggest one. The thing that I will stay on my soapbox about though is that I do not give up ANY creative control by using P. I can adjust both aperture and shutter speed with one dial. So if I control aperture and shutter speed with one dial and exposure with the other dial what creative element am I giving up?

I probably doesn't help that we are discussing Program mode in a thread that started out discussing iA. These are entirely different beasts. iA allows no creative control and with iA+ it is limited and difficult. Program mode however allows FULL control of your settings. I frequently "shift" the P mode to get what I want. The great thing is we can all shoot the mode we want and be quite happy. But if you think of Program mode as an Auto mode that takes away creative control you simply have not tried it on modern cameras.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Right - I started this thread because "iA allows no creative control" - I only use it in two situations:
1. when I want to let the camera deal with night - "Nightshot stacking"
1nd 2. when the G9's knob get accidentally bumped to iA and I don't realize it

The latter happened to me on a recent hike (tho the jpg's came out fine and looked like they had gotten some extra dramatic processing)

For the record, my default carry mode is "P" and I switch to A most frequently.

re "iA+" gives limited and difficult camera control - Can you expand on this (for .RAW)?
IIRC, the manual lists 4 things you can vary with iA+ (it's in a table somewhere)

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
There has not been much mention of the dreaded M mode. :crying:
Some say it's the only mode a "true" photographer should use but I smell elitist in that statement. :rolleyes:

Any mode if fine as long as I can achieve the result I desire, as long as I have a CLEAR idea of what I want. If however I am happy just clicking away and hoping for the best then I would call myself clueless. :hmmm:

Back to M mode: in some cases the only mode to get that image. Really!
Yesterday I found myself photographing a fast paced event (not my favorite style of photography).
The light was constant (veiled sun) but the subject was moving very fast on a background that was going from bright to very dark. The background was greatly influencing the exposure (fooling the meter) with too dark or too bright results.
And then I suddenly remembered M mode: set the aperture (I wanted rather slow shutter speed to get a motion blurred background from panning) and corresponding shutter speed for the desired exposure.
Now my subject could pass in front of any shade of background and still remain perfectly exposed.
Would I be able to adjust/compensate for such exposure in P, A or S mode, with a dial?
No chance: not with my reaction time to a motorcycle speeding in front of me at considerable pace....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Dust Hustle 8_2 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ask yourself: do I capture a photograph or do I create an image? :hmmm:

For capturing a fleeting moment P or iA might indeed be the best settings, but if my goal is to create an image with a very specific look then I am afraid I am better off with something where I can control and achieve the look I envisioned. :)
I do a lot of concert photography and am focused on capturing the fleeting moments. There is no posing and no "do-overs" so I don't want to fuss with the shutter/aperture settings. I have had no issues with the "look" I achieve using IA+. I shoot raw+jpeg so I have the raw images that I can process if I want a particular "look".

The creative process is different for everyone and for the type of photography (e.g., portraits, weddings, concerts, etc.) they engage in. What works for one person may not work for another and may vary based on the type of photography.

You’ve got it Toddster! Using Program is the exact same as having Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority all rolled into one. Photographers who swear it’s not an acceptable option haven’t read their camera manual. Nikon invented the ability to adjust P, but all the years of P, before the new option, influenced photographers not to even look at it. For goodness sakes they thought, “I can’t be a serious photographer and use P”. Wrong. I’ve used P almost exclusively since 1996 earning my entire living with photography since then as well as 16 years prior.
Just wanted to mention that the link I posted on using P mode
Photography Using Program Mode | Natural Exposures, Inc.
is Daniel's website. He also some great equipment reviews - I read his reviews extensively before I decided to buy the G9 and the 50-200mm f2.8-4. His website is an excellent resource.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
iA+ or auto when I am traveling on day of travel. I am often tired and rely on the camera when I am too tired to think. Often use the various modes for different situations if I have time. However for BIF I use a custom setting with all manual and almost everything that can be turned off, turned off. I agree with Daniel, why buy a tool if you are not going to use all the benefits it has, especially in the case of a camera, or in another hobby a Stage Keyboard - heck who uses all of the tools on a multipurpose tools but I never hear complaints about "too many" options on them:).

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
yeah yeah on all the technical stuff :) (with grin)
More importantly what is that bike, seems like a bit of a mongrel ... guessing BSA frame and twin motor but that front end is modern custom
not really sure but I think it's a Kawasaki W800 as base.
It was at Dust Hustle by Ellaspede: they call it "Inappropriate Dirt Days" where very bizarre motorcycles tear it up on dirt courses.
Here are some outstanding images of crazy motos and riders by a talented photographer: Motorcycle Pics.

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I tend to shoot a lot in Aperture priority, and changing aperture with the rear wheel of gx800 is slow. So I experimented with Auto, and was not entirely disappointed with the results.

As a previous poster mentioned, I use the auto setting if giving the camera to someone else to use. Otherwise it depends what I am shooting, and what effects I want. Whether that be depth of field, fast shutter, bulb mode, or anything else.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom