Who uses hotshoe mount optical viewfinders?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by agentlossing, Nov 5, 2013.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You know, the old rangefinder style ones, anybody like to use them with m4/3 cameras to provide that extra point of contact, or would it be totally hamstringing one's ability to expose and focus properly?
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What do you mean by extra point of contact?

Olympus makes a viewfinder that was sold withnthe 17mm f/2.8. It was not that popular. I use them occassionally on my rangefinder for focal lengths that I dont have framelines. Since the m4/3 is autofocus I dont see why it would prevent proper focus nor exposure. Finding a viewfinder with the proper framelines and at a good price would be the main obstacle.
  3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I suspect the third point of contact refers to pressing the camera against your face to hold it still, versus at arms length.

And the focusing probably means you may not know exactly where your focusing without seeing the green rectangle.

I've never used one. I can see the appeal of lining up a shot without powering on, no blackout between shots,etc. But I'm not convinced it's worth the money and my camera has evf.

Sent from my XT885 using Mu-43 mobile app
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    The only one that I use anymore is the 49mm field of view finder for my Pentax Q. Generally it's only useful with the 49mm prime lens. It has its benefits and makes framing in bright sunlight much easier than with the rear LCD. It also allows you to see just outside the frame lines.
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I did with my EP1 and EP2. I really enjoyed it but I have been using then for years on other cameras. I liked that the view is pure. No crap all over yhe screen. No focus confirmation lights. Just the subject.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That would be part of the appeal for me, too. I dislike evf.
  7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I use the VF-1 on my E-P3 when I shoot with a 17mm or 14mm and love it for the clarity, brightness and simplicity. The bright line matches the 17mm and the outer edges are very close to 14mm coverage, maybe 90%. No problem with focusing: set it to center point and lock and recompose if needed. I set a CF to disable the LCD when I press a function button. The VF-1 was only $80 when I bought it. I've seen some really nice OVF from Sigma, Leica and Voigtländer but they're as expensive as an EVF. Panasonic has a nice metal one (looks exactly like the Voigtländer) that covers the FOV of 24mm FF but the hotshoe mount is a little thin for most cameras other than Lumix.
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use the Panasonic 24mm mentioned with my Leica 24mm elmarit. It was originally intended for the panasonic lx3. It's ok... A little squinty for my tastes but it's a lot cheaper than the other options. Fits the hot shoe just fine.

There are also two types of viewfinders. One type is a masked in which what you see is in the viewfinder is what is framed. The other type is of the bright line variety. The view offered is wider than the frame with bright line markers that indicate the frame according to focal length. This allows you to see beyond frame.. to see subjects entering it. They also typically include markings for parallelax correction.

I much prefer the bright line type but they cost a bit more. I see little advantage of the masked viewfinders over an EVF.

Oh yes... quality view finders cost as much as many of our lenses.

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos