Who uses a non-Oly flash...

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
...that is 100% compatible with the PENs (though I don't care about the wireless functionality)?

Sunpak? Vivitar? Metz? Nissin? Sigma? Panny?

Which model?

It must tilt AND swivel.

Thanks!!

shoturtle

I email metz, and their flashes are 100% fully ttl for pens and e-system

I have used a older metz 48 AF-1 on the pens, and it works full.

Metz 44 AF-1 and Metz 50 AF-1 have tilt and swivel. the 44 has a guild number of 44, and the 50 has a guild number of 50.

Brianetta

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Ronald
I have a 25 year old (perhaps older) Sunpak. It's fully supported on the Pen. Well, as fully as it is on any camera... it's not like there's much in the way of features to support. No tilt or swivel, though.

It's a lot of work, but I'm getting much better at it.

Saelee

Mu-43 Regular
I would be careful with using really old flash because some of them have a high coltage sync and will fry your camera. If you are unsure use a multi-meter to test the voltage.

I use nikon sb28, sb600, sb900 and the ebay yn 560 flash. Non of these flash have ttl support, I shoot in manual only.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use Sunpak and the SF24D... none support TTL with Olympus but work well off-camera set the Auto.

NOTE: Metz flashes brand new will probably run more than the Olympus branded flash. Also, the larger olympus flashes support wireless operation which is probably worth the price.

Brianetta

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Ronald
I would be careful with using really old flash because some of them have a high coltage sync and will fry your camera. If you are unsure use a multi-meter to test the voltage.

I use nikon sb28, sb600, sb900 and the ebay yn 560 flash. Non of these flash have ttl support, I shoot in manual only.

Well aware of this issue. It's a 7.5V trigger, which I'm happy to assume won't hurt my E-P1, which is rated to 6.5V, much. There's always a margin.

I'd only be worried if the voltage was way up there with some of the other old flashes I've tested. Over 200V isn't uncommon.

Bluebear

Mu-43 Rookie
I use the Lumix FL-220, which I bought for my LX3 before getting into m4/3. Seems to me its the same as the Oly FL-20, just different clothes!

ronbot

Mu-43 Regular
I'd be interested on some feedback too as I'm looking to acquire a flash as well.
Here are some of the ones that I'm looking, which are supposed to have TTL on Oly:
- Bell & Howell Z480AF-OP
- Bell & Howell Z680AF-OP
- Vivitar DF383
- Metz 44 AF-1
- Metz 50 AF-1

There are more obviously. The Metz 44 AF-1 is the same price as the FL-36r but a bit more powerful and cycles faster since it uses 4 cells.

Has anyone here have any experiences with the above.

fotomatix

Mu-43 Regular
Wanted to get a a smaller compact flash, but tilt is important. I like the design of the FL 14, but no tilt and only in silver now? Yuk. (I have a black E-PL2)

LeeOsenton

Mu-43 Button Clicker
Real Name
Lee Osenton
FL-36R

Wanted to get a a smaller compact flash, but tilt is important. I like the design of the FL 14, but no tilt and only in silver now? Yuk. (I have a black E-PL2)
I just picked up a discounted E-PL1 and already had a FL-36R for my E-620. Works great on the E-PL1 and isn't too big. Tilt, swivel, more power, and wireless for about the same price as the FL-14. Use Sanyo Eneloop batteries (or similar high density rechargeables) and the recovery time between flashes is very tolerable.

Lee

ronbot

Mu-43 Regular
I just picked up a discounted E-PL1 and already had a FL-36R for my E-620. Works great on the E-PL1 and isn't too big.
Lee

Thanks, Lee. I was put off by complaints about the FL-36R being slow at cycling. But, like you said, a freshly charged pair of nice NiMH's will improve the cycling.

Also, it will be more suitable than a Metz 50 AF-1 or even perhaps a Metz 44 AF-1, which would probably be top-heavy when mounted on an E-PL2 and look ridiculous even.

I don't know, I still want the power that the Metz 44/50 can provide.

Vivalo

Olympus loser
+1 for the Sanyo Eneloop and FL-36R combination. Recycle time between two full power shots is about 7-8 seconds so that isn't exactly super fast but I usually do find me to be the slowest part of the whole anyway. When using 1/4 or 1/8 flash power the recycle time is much faster. At 1/8 power it can flash 4 shot burst and then it slows down. I am sure that the Metz flashes can do better but for my photography the FL-36R has been more than enough. And most of all I like the size/weight/performance/build quality/price -ratio.

Jimbo3rd

Photog GoGo
Real Name
Jim Sullivan
Just a note, the Oly F-14 comes in blk as well as silver, but as you know no tilt/swilval.
One came in a Pen P2 kit that arrived yesterday.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Does this help? I haven't had much time yet to play with it, but all functions (except built-in AF illuminator) are working with my E-PL2. Even the wireless works perfectly from all around a room. Interface is sublime, build quality is very nice. Can I answer anything else?

I lowered my Stroboframe bracket all the way down, and ordered the Oly FL-CB05. Looks like it will make a sweet handling rig should I need to shoot lots of flash shots again in both vertical and horizontal orientations.

44AF1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ronbot

Mu-43 Regular
Does this help? I haven't had much time yet to play with it, but all functions (except built-in AF illuminator) are working with my E-PL2. Even the wireless works perfectly from all around a room. Interface is sublime, build quality is very nice. Can I answer anything else?

I lowered my Stroboframe bracket all the way down, and ordered the Oly FL-CB05. Looks like it will make a sweet handling rig should I need to shoot lots of flash shots again in both vertical and horizontal orientations.

44AF1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That actually looks alright; I was imagining it would be very top heavy. I guess since wireless works, it has all of the features of Oly FL-36R.

I might pick one up or the 50 AF-1 for just 30 more for more power and LCD; the dimension on paper is not much bigger.

shoturtle

The metz 50 AF-1 is nice also. I use the 48 which is the same size with my canon system. And they are very good flashes. The interface of the 50 is just a tad more details when operating. I did try the metz 58 AF-2 for size comparison also. Way to big for the pen's. Also they are not as simple to use compare to the 44. A bit more drilling into the menu to get into the slave mode and stuff. I did mount it to my epl-1. And it was just a tad to big. The 44 and the di466 are better sized for the compact m4/3 bodies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom