Who uses a grip strap with their gripped camera?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ross the fiddler, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    On my E-M5 & HLD-6 I presently use a grip strap (GS-3 for E3, E30 & E5 with HLD-4 grip) that also has provision to add a neck strap at the same time. I intend to get the HLD-7 for the E-M1 as well (eventually) & wonder whether others find the grip strap gets in the way instead.

I'd like to hear from others on what they use & why.

2. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Pre-μ43, I used the equivalents to the GS-3 or GS-5, but I they didn't work so well for me - maybe Olympus makes better grip straps than its competition makes. I just found them too restricting in how I used my cameras.

I don't use a grip strap, but I do have a plaited paracord wrist strap which is attached to the anchor point on the HLD-7. Whether I use the E-M1 in the landscape or portrait orientation, the strap is the right length - not so short that it restricts handling, not so long that it dangles unwanted. I find it really comfortable and provides goods security against losing the camera. I find it comfortable keeping the camera in hand all day even when using my heavier telephoto lenses.

Its placement means that it is not available when I don't use the grip, but in that situation I tend to use small primes and I'll either attach my PD strap or just toss the camera in a bag when not actively shooting.
    • Like Like x 1