1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who uses 14-42 pancake as prefered lens?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Crdome, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I'm considering getting a 14-42 pancake. I read many negative things about it. I'd like to hear from those who are actively using and enjoying it.

Thank for your input.

-Chrome

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm curious as well. I love the size of the 14-42 PZ as a great little walkaround lens. I've currently got the collapsing Olympus 14-42, but I really hate having to extend the lens every time I want to take a shot (and I don't feel comfortable walking around with the lens extended).

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Add me to the list of the curious. :biggrin:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Don't know if they re-designed the lens, but I had it for a brief period of time before returning it. Was too soft, and if you google it, you'll see several reports of blurring that's thought to be due to the image stabilization system. I tested it out myself and confirmed it- at least on my setup.

5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    I use it often during family holidays especially if we are going to be spending time outdoors (read: lots of available light).

I did a quick test of the "issue" and I didn't see any problem with mine. A little soft, yes. Blurry/Double images, no.

6. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    I use it with my E-Pm2. It's a perfect combination for a light weight kit. As expected, it struggles in low light but in bright conditions lens is great.

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    My experience is similar, in good light, it works fine. My fave is still the 20/1.7 on my GF3.

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I think we all understand that a fast prime is going to do better than the 14-42 PZ in low light. I'm mostly interested in comparisons to the other 14-4x kit zooms.

9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I look at it as zoom pancake vs prime pancake, and as a pancake, I prefer the 20/1.7. Most of the time, I put the 14-42z for the wider angle and IS.

10. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    These are the kind of issues I'm interested in. Primarily I uses the 7-14, 14-140, and a 25/1.4 legacy lens. for low light conditions. The other day I used the kit 14-42 when the 14-140 weight was unmanagable. I realized this is that range is what I would generally use for walk-about shooting.

It sounds like you are not zooming much if you generally work on the underside of 20mm. How do you find the zoom action pushing the longer end?

-Chrome

11. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    rpamparo and ajamils thanks for your low light input. Since my primary lenses are f/4, I didn't think that would be a factor, but I must consider the f/5.6 end of the zoom as well.

12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    On a walk around, the 42 end is ok as a bit of a long normal rather than tele. I prefer tele's with a OVF or EVF and I rarely shoot short tele's unless it's my 85/1.8 on my dslr.

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Size comparison of the kit zooms

I just put together this side-by-side comparison of the various 14-4x kit zooms from Panasonic and Olympus. This gives a decent idea of just how compact the 14-42 PZ really is.

Kit_zoom_comparison_1024.
    (this is a cut-up of an image found on DPReview)

Note that I've labeled the P14-42 as mk I. This is in anticipation of the announcement (tonight?) of the smaller P14-42 that is expected to be the new kit lens for the GF6 and will be roughly the same size as the Olympus 14-42 II.

14. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    This photo isn't well proportioned, the panasonic 14-42 is much bigger than the olympus and they look almost the same size in the photo

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I disagree. I think it's a very good representation of the relative sizes. The P14-42 (I) and O14-42's don't appear (to me anyway) to be "almost the same size" in this image.

Here's the original image from DPReview from which I created this cut-up:
    [​IMG]1024 />

The only manipulation I did was to line-up all of the lenses in a single row a opposed to DPReview's two row image to facilitate easier length comparisons. I also rearranged the order a bit. I omitted the Samsung lens from the comparison as its inclusion seems irrelevant.

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Here's a spreadsheet that contains a breakdown of the specs of the various 14-4x :43: lenses:

KitZoomComparison.

Based on this data, I may wait and see what the new P14-42 (II) looks like. If it's similar in size to the O14-42, but without the power zoom (which I don't necessarily care for) then that might be the best of both worlds.

17. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Keith -Thanks for the visual comparison.

18. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I've used it on trips. It's a really convenient piece of kit to have attached to a small cam like Gx1 and have hanging on your neck. I would wear it bandoleer style on Gordy leather band. It's really quick to bring it to eye level take a pic or two and move on. It lies flat against the body without pulling camera down. very unobtrusive . Quick focus. I don't have another kit lens to compare the image quality . It seems good, but then again I have not done careful analysis.
    Most daylight photos at link below were taken with it.
    Zenfolio | Another Guy with a Camera | Central Europe 2012

19. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Check this one

PC140215.

20. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, I understand that the Olympus lenses need to be extended to shoot. The same thing applies to the Panasonic PZ (although it extends itself automatically when the camera is switched on).

Your image does a good job of depicting the Olympus lens in "shooting mode" compared to the Panasonic 14-24 (mk I). What I was trying to illustrate with my image is the size differences in "pocket mode".