Who supports M4/3s?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Apr 11, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I wish Tamron and Schneider would hurry up and bring out some lenses.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The list is impressive, but the individual contributions vary widely. I'm particularly puzzled about the inclusion of Fujifilm since I can't think of a single m4/3-related product they make. In theory Schneider and Tamron will have m4/3 products soon, but so far those are just vaporware as well.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I thought about that and I think that there could be several answers. Firstly, some could be providing technical support in the background, such as with patent access. It may not be for cash, but access to future, reciprocal, technology rights and the like. Lots of these things aren't revealed externally, yet they can be important contributions to the systems. For example, it took some time for it to be revealed that the E-M5 sensor was made by Sony, who knows what other components go into m4/3 cameras etc. Secondly, some could have signed up for potential future adaptation or production of components etc. Signing up early, could provide benefits in the long term, by seeing how the system develops. It just gives some companies an extra bow in their quiver should the need arise.

6. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Well, it probably doesn't cost very much to be a signatory to the thing and then do as little as possible. I imagine membership probably has more value today than it did 6-8 years ago!

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I did not know Fuji was part of m4/3 - interesting. Anybody know how long they have been a member?

Kenko/Tokina is on the list too but so far all they have done is a reflex lens and extension tubes. I wish they would make some more lenses. Be nice to see a wide zoom from Tokina for m4/3.

I don't care much about Schneider since they will be very expensive but Tamron - come on guys at least give us the travel zoom you promised. Even better, give use a good tele-zoom for a low price!

• Like Like x 1
  8. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Isn't Tamron and Schneider providing some lens design and manufacturing services to Panasonic and Olympus?

9. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I'm pretty sure Fuji was there from the very beginning. I remember seeing their name on the consortium literature all the way back in 2003 or so. Likewise, I bet Schneider joined because Kodak joined. It was no secret in Kodak land that they leaned heavily on Schneider for licensed lens designs and assemblies (much like others used Tamron for their compact digicam lens sets).

10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Tomytec? Viewplus? Photron? The other companies I've all heard of except those three.

11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I did some quick googling;

Tomytec apparently makes miniatures/toys?

ViewPlus is involved with braille software and machines,

And Photron makes high-speed cameras.

Interesting.

12. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank

Tomytec is actually an industrial machinery company. They make all sorts of things. They make motor vehicles for Isuzu... large vehicles and lorry systems. I'm pretty sure it's also the same company that makes telescopes... I'm not sure how the toy/model train company is related. Perhaps it's their consumer division that was purchased from another company years ago?

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If you Google those unknown names, you'll see that a lot produce scientific research and industrial cameras that, oddly enough, use the m4/3 mount.

• Like Like x 1
  14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I remember Tomy toy cars from my youth. They were the very realistic looking cars that were the same size as Hotwheels and Matchbox. They were often Japanese cars but there were some American and European models too. They also almost always had opening doors. They are also famous for model kits of anime robots and other characters. As with most Japanese corporations they have merged with many to form a larger one.

As for what the Tomytec corp uses m4/3 for - it is for their company called Borg - they make telescopes. It seems they have m4/3 mounts for their scopes. But they also have adaptors for other lenses to m4/3. Or is it that you stack various adaptors? Anyway they have adaptors for m4/3.
    http://www.tomytec.co.jp/borg/index.php - main page

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/borg/products/micro - page showing m4/3

I also found this - https://digiborg.wordpress.com/2008/12/24/adapter-for-micro-43-panasonic-g1/ I guess you do stack adaptors for their telescopes, other telescopes and other camera mounts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I still find it quite amazing as to how many companies, big and small, make things m4/3s related. And these are the more immediately obvious ones, there are probably a lot more about that do niche or specialty products that many wouldn't know existed.

16. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank

I did see a demo once of that 12000 frame per second Photron camera... Apparently they now have a 21000 fps camera. It's crazy what they do with/for machine vision. It had a plain 4/3 Olympus 50mm macro lens mounted on the front but apparently they can give it to you in 4/3, Nikon, and C mount.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I wonder if companies are joining in part to keep patent options open.....:confused:

18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If I were to start an imaging company, even without the initial intent of producing products for the general consumer elecronics, I would be hesitant in investing R and D funding into building a mount design ground up. I would seriously consider adopting the MFT mount considering its a mount that I dont need to reverse engineer, its documented, and already has implementations. All I have to do is join the consortum.... of course I have no idea what that entails in terms of agreements and cost. What are my other options? M42 mount.... or some older legacy design.... but none of them spec in modern electronics.