1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Who says you can never come home again, and again, and again?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by demiro, Jul 6, 2013.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I just purchased my third E-M5. I'm not planning on selling this one anytime soon though. I've been through the new camera gear meat grinder: m4/3s to Fuji X to NEX to Fuji X to Full Frame and back again.

Lots of compelling reasons for any system I could choose, but it really came down to some great posts by Gary Ayala about these various options, and a documentary on Showtime I just watched about famed rock photographer Bob Gruen. Bob talked about the importance of capturing the emotion and what moment defines the event, as opposed to technically perfect photos. He was apparently a bit notorious for soft-focus, but nailed those moments.

I know that the E-M5 is the best tool for me to capture those moments. I am committed to no longer worrying about every nth degree of picture quality (especially since my skills hardly get me past Go with a basic point&shoot!).

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Shoot shoot shoot! Go!

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    My wife every time I mention getting the 75mm and 12mm lenses...

:biggrin:

Congratulations on coming home to the OM-D.

Sometimes it's fun to try different kits, sometimes it's "more funner" to just choose one and concentrate on making the photographs.

Regards,

Jim

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nothing wrong with trying new gear Dean...trying things out for yourself and finding your own answers is way more useful than reading endless reviews and other peoples opinions about some gear you have an interest in. If you never follow your curiosity to strange new places you'll never REALLY know for sure what's there.

I think THE worst thing you or any one of us can do is to assume that m43 is some kind of Holy Grail.

6. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm going...

7. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
  8. That assumption could apply to any type of camera really. Still, it might be nice to have the kind of faith that you would never need to look at another camera again :smile:

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

I agree wholeheartedly on both points. Thing is, who knows what's around the corner ? ...it's almost breathtaking watching all these new cameras and systems being rolled out by the various manufacturers, and as much as one may want to settle onto one thing with some kind of permanence, changing technologies and needs over time will almost make the one system forever idea an impossibility. Although I think I'm personally incapable of it I do sincerely admire those enlightened beings who can live for many many years in the one body/one lens Zen type state.

:43: is an amazing and almost fully mature system that has given me personally a great deal of satisfaction and enjoyment...but with cameras only being tools as they are, I can't help but every now and then be interested in the stuff the guys down the road at Fuji/Ricoh/Sony are doing. I've found that with the more cameras I've tried, the less interested I've become in being defensive about ANY system or brand...something which goes on a fair bit on most forums. It's a shame really because I think too many people miss out on the opportunity to learn different gear and ways of doing things and even 'seeing' things differently because they get too caught up in the "this is better than that" argument, or even worse, the "is the {insert name} system doomed" argument.

But then again, maybe I think that way because I've always been the glass half full guy and really enjoyed 'something' about every camera I've used....the X100S was excellent in its own way, I currently can't get my paws off the GR and next week I should be fumbling around the backyard chasing my poor cat with an RX1.

I like cameras and taking photos, it's never been about better...just about different.

10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I won't be buying another E-M5, but I'm likely staying with m43 cameras and lenses. They've proven themselves to me in both stills and video and for my purposes they are great.

I'm old and lazy and I just can't imagine carrying a full frame kit around, or even a 1.5x or 1.6x crop camera around since most of them have much larger lenses.

m43 is for me a "sweet spot" -- not too small, not too large. I'm the "Goldilocks" of photographers, lol...

11. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    "I'm old and lazy and I just can't imagine carrying a full frame kit around, or even a 1.5x or 1.6x crop camera around since most of them have much larger lenses."

Me too. And let me add overweight.

David