1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Who says we can't do birds in flight?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by emptysensor, Mar 23, 2013.

1. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I actually got up early on a Saturday to take some pictures. EM5 with 100-300 -

Some in flight -

8583940202_389ae95309_b.

8582833923_2006564359_b.

8582833989_d7c9fc056c_b.

8583934748_006a078274_b.

8582834043_f8d3db878b_b.

And some at rest...

8583934644_9699364733_b.

8583934626_499777fe02_b.

8582834027_4c027a02d9_b.

This was the first time I tried to shoot birds seriously and my keeper rate wasn't real high. In addition I had to crop a lot because the focus worked best at shorter focal lengths. But in the end I was pretty satisfied when thinking how much it would cost to duplicate the 600mm efl in a any other format. I'm looking forward to doing this another day when the leaves are back, and the thermometer's friendlier.

• Like Like x 28
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Nice work! I might get that 100-300 but I keep waiting for Pana/Oly to release a newer one...

3. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Very nice for the 100-300, i personaly think you pulled down the sky alittle to much on the fifth pic, but i like the sharpnes and you got much nicer bokeh than i use to get with that lens :)

4. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Thanks spatulaboy, and GRID I think I agree with you after looking at #5 again. I appreciate the feedback.

5. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    Hmmm....that water looks suspiciously like the Potomac. I especially like that 2nd shot with the gulls. They're all great shots regardless.

6. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Thanks. You're close but quite there. They're at the Rappahannock river and Ruffins pond in Fredericksburg.

7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Fantastic shots! I cannot get anything quite like those. The only sharp shots I ever got of birds in flight were the seagulls at Hilton Head with my Nikon D60. But the sun was bright and the birds were practically on top of me!

8. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Thanks. It's definitely challenging, but not impossible. I found it was best to find a place with plenty of big birds since they're slower. I've tried to shoot smaller ones from my deck and it's just about impossible.

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for posting, Joe. I tend to print my images on the larger side when possible. As it's hard to judge a print candidate by looking at a small jpeg, I was wondering how large you would feel comfortable printing you best keepers if they were to be viewed at close range?

--Ken

10. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Hi Joe,

Great captures! I just got my 100-300mm this week and used it for the 1st time yesterday at a local wetlands. The birds were mostly not in flight, but moving quite around quite a bit. I was very happy with the results.

You really nailed the focus and I am not quite sure on how best to achieve that with the OMD and this new lens yet. My I ask what settings you used for your shots in flight? S-AF, C-AF, manual? Did you choose a high ss and let the aperture or ISO float?

Thanks,

Jim

11. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    Close enough. I've had a long standing love affair with the mid-Atlantic limestone rivers and the Rappahannock is one of them. The first Hickory Shad ought to schooling up just below the Falmouth Bridge right about now. They will certainly draw some birds.

12. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Thanks everyone.

Apbtlvr - I was right under the Falmouth Bridge. I'm glad to know we have psychic members on the site :)

Replytoken - Posting on a website definitely stacks the deck in my favor. I went back and checked and the smallest one is 2494 x 1663, which comes out to 4.1 Mpix. This is a significant reduction, but not really as bad as I thought. I've got a 36" print from the Grand Canyon over our fireplace taken with my old GH1, which was 12 Mpix. I think it looks great, but I'm biased and I usually look at it from a distance. I guess you can look at what people say is acceptable resolution (I think I've seen 300 dpi), and calculate from that, but my gut feeling would be ~maybe 11 x 14 or so for the lowest resolution shots.

Specfoto - I really like the 100-300 and think it compares well to my Nikon 70-200 in some instances, especially considering price. I think I used ISO 400 for most shots and A set to max for all. It seems like I'm always on aperature priorty for almost everything. I paid some attention to shutter speed and may have changed ISO to keep SS at least in the upper hundreds, maybe over 1000 in some cases. I used S-AF and the center focus square. Originallly I used the low burst mode and then changed to the high one.

13. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for the follow up, Joe. I was not concerned about the resolution, but rather about the focus, which was not easy for me to judge from the posted files. My keeper rate with my D300 for large prints is low when I throw out images that look fine on a monitor, but are not quite enough for a large print. I was curious if you thought these samples were sharp enough (WRT focus) for a large print.

--Ken

14. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Ken,

When I was sorting through multiples of similar shots, I zoomed in a lot to pick the best. So to me they were very sharp. I would say that they are as good as any that I've printed large. But, having said that, someone else's standards may be more stringent than mine.

15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks, Joe. I trust your standards, and am glad to hear that this combo worked out well. Keep us posted with more samples. It looked like a beautiful place to shoot BIF.

Enjoy,

--Ken

16. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Very nice Joe! I especially like the first three, you really isolated them from the background and nailed the focus.

I tried some with my 75-300 and it seems like I have similar results to yours, meaning low to mid keeper rate, and I usually wind up cropping some. Still, the ones I get I'm happy with, as you should be with your shots.

17. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Super images and you got the in flight shots spot-on! Big slow moving birds though, I think we'd all have minimal success with a Swallow.

David

18. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    FWIW, while I print landscapes from the G1 on 13x19, I've been printing cropped bird photos from the G1 or G3 on 8.5x11 (a weird size, but I had lots of paper sitting around). Just playing it safe, but it seems to work out OK. And the uncropped ones look really nice on 13x19.

Joe--nice job on the in-flight pics. I'm still working on that, but I'm having a hard time making myself zoom out enough--just greedy, I guess. :) I'm not too far away from you, in Charlottesville.

19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Beautiful set, nicely done! :thumbup:

20. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Congratulations this is a great piece of work! Thank you for sharing!