Who pre-ordered E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sagar, Sep 16, 2013.

1. sagar

sagar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2012
    Just curious on how many folks here have pre-ordered E-M1
  2. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    I REALLY want this camera but 1400 with no kit lens is a tad too expensive. Maybe i'll wait for an e-m5 successor (if thats true) or just keep saving. I would get the gx7 (silent mode and size seem perfect) but id prefer the weather sealing and 5 axis of this.
  3. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I really don't see the E-M1 as having enough new features or capabilities to tempt me. The PDAF is interesting, but I don't want to shoot with DSLR lenses again anyway, since that defeats the small size advantage.

I might pick up a 12-40mm used in a few months, however...
  4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I'll buy one if I get lucky with the Lotto or Vegas. Otherwise I'll continue to suffer with my ancient E-P3 and GX1 and maybe buy a GX7 or E-P5 when prices drift down to earth.
  5. gqchynaboy

gqchynaboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Pre-ordered E-M1 and the 12-40mm lens, will be upgrading from a GX1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I want to point out that the option "I'm not happy and I'm not buying" wasn't listed.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. utahlasvegas

utahlasvegas Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    I'm going to preorder once the kit is available in the US. I've been looking every day and still haven't found anywhere who's offering it. After I got the E-P5, I decided to ditch all my full frame Canon stuff, and I'm getting the EM1 kit to be my hiking / backpacking / bad weather camera, and I'll use the E-P5 for the portraits and urban street stuff. It looks like I'll be an Olympus ******s soon. The gear is magical, yo!
  8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm not normally an early adopter, but I'm working a lot of overtime. The cash is available now, where it may not be later. It's also time to give my beloved Gf1 a rest.

I like the slightly larger body and built in grip of the EM-1. That probably swayed me towards it over the EM-5 more than anything else. Hand cramping has been a problem with long lenses,
    which I use very frequently. I'll quite possibly order one of the 4/3 lenses, so comfort, strength and steadiness made sense to consider.

The build looked very impressive with the full magnesium body. How rugged and durable it proves to be remains to be seen, but it appears to be high quality and I liked that.

The faster autofocus and better viewfinder are added bonuses. I don't use art filters and such, although I found the ability to control it by remote interesting.
  9. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    just ordered

pre ordered the M1 body already have the M5 and oly 45mm 1.8 oly 60mm macro and pan 100-300 and pan 12-35mm got to hide it from the wife though when it is delivered which could be several weeks I believe
  10. sagar

sagar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2012
    I for one preordered. Timing could not have been any better. I always loved Olympus since my E-510 days. Just two weeks back I had bought Fuji kit as I did not like em5 handling. As soon as EM1 was announced, I ended up selling/returning items for EM1
  11. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    I plan to buy one but after the new year. I was going to buy an E-P5 with the VF4 and the 17mm for about $1500. But frankly I really don't need the 17mm. I love my 12mm and I used that lens in conjunction with the 45mm all the time. I was also considering a GX7 for a while but I have decided I want to stay with Olympus because of their great JPG's, and the 5 axis IBIS.

So sometime after the new year I will probably buy one. Unless the E-M1 receives horrible reviews and the people on this forum hate it. I doubt either one of these will happen. I have patience, I can wait. :smile:
  12. supmua

supmua Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2013
    I did. I was doing research on the e-m5 as a potential travel camera, then this improved model got announced. My default setup is Nikon D3 and heavy lenses, so the Oly set up will be a breeze to carry around. I'm planning to get some fast primes first and may be the 12-40/2.8 if I like the camera well enough.
  13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm tempted because of all the buttons and huge VF. But at the same time, it sits very close to the GH3 in size, not a huge fan of that. It's smaller in right areas for me (assuming camerasize is accurate) given my use with my brother's GH3 and my use of the the JLM grip.

That and I'm curious on how the pricing for the 42.5/1.2 and 150/2.8 (and ultimately, maybe the 40-150) will be =)
  14. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I preordered it. I actually placed 3 separate orders, determined to get one as soon as possible. It's odd how all 3 have different expected available dates. b&H says October 4, Olympus says early October, Amazon says October 14th. All I know is that I desperately want one to take on vacation on October 16th.

I just sold my 1 month old E-M5 in anticipation of the upgrade. The E-M5 is great but I am really looking forward to the built-in grip, easier to press buttons, beautiful VF, new HDR button, the 2x2 function. And I know my wife is looking forward to the Photo Story mode. I despise it but she loved it on the E-P5, I actually considered keeping it just so she could use that mode but decided against it.

Sad that the 12-40 is not going to be available at the same time.
  15. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I preordered just to get in line. I have an em5 but really want the built in grip so I don't have to take it off to change batteries. The em5 was a non-starter for me without grip. However more than anything I am really hoping the PDAF pans out as one of my biggest use cases is photographing runners coming at me and I've been waiting for workable CAF since the beginning of time with u43. I've worked around it with fast SAF and good DoF but I want the real deal! If it doesn't pan out I'll send it back.
  16. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    I am waiting for the early adopter who decides to sell it a few months later. That or a good discount around christmas time. There's next to no benefit except for early gear lust gratification to pre-order.
  17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I pre-ordered the E-M1 + 12-40/2.8 kit from my local camera shop. They are giving away MMF3 and a 40-150/4-5.6 R for pre-orders. Even though I don't need th 40-150/4-5.6 R, I figure I can probably sell it and turn it into a $100+ discount on my purchase.

The combo will be replacing my E-M5 + 12-35/2.8... Not that I'm unhappy with my E-M5, but I am getting one because of the improved C-AF and ability to AF relatively quickly with my 50-200 SWD...
  18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I did but only because I have $1500 in store credit that I'd like to cash out. I figure the E-M1 will be the easiest to sell. I was thinking of getting a few other things that maybe I wouldn't sell (12-40? full frame something?) but I dunno.
  19. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    I personally want to try in store and see it how much "better" it is than the E-M5. I may end up selling one of my E-M5 bodies for the EM-1 but I want to give it a test drive before I pull the trigger.
  20. Eubios

Eubios Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 24, 2012
    I did. And in anticipation I ordered and just received a brand new 14-54 II. I want to go back to Olympus ( I started with an OM back in the days ) now that I have more time for the hobby. I am tired of fixed-lens cameras...