Who needs to upgrade reeaaaally???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AdamThirtle, Oct 26, 2011.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    My E-P1 does me just fine, and yes faster auto-focus would be great, but being 100% happy with what is coming out of this old thing why bother?
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Very little that we talk about on forums like this has anything to do with what we NEED, REALLY. The faster operation and AF of the new gen cameras is very nice and I get a notably higher hit rate than with slower cameras. But many of my favorite photos came from older cameras and none of my upgrades were about "need". But I'm not giving the new gear back either!

• Like Like x 2
  3. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I don't NEED to upgrade, I WANT to upgrade.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I still use my E-P1 even after I got my E-PL2. I've kept the 17mm on it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    BINGO!!! It's not a need it's a want.

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Faster AF? Piffle. How about just more accurate AF? Even I might buy that!
  7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Yep. My biggest complain about the E-P1 was that its AF area was so freaking large. It was almost impossible to accurately focus on small objects with that camera.
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It looks like you must have your priorities right - lenses first! Well, maybe you can at least hold out until the next generation Oly, or GX1. :biggrin:
  9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Adam I like seeing pictures of your girlfriend. She's cute! Hang onto to her man.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Adam ... I've never been 100% happy with any of my images. I always look for and find areas for improvement.

Unless one is shooting only studio/still life stuff ... a quicker focus is always useful. The greater the camera's ability to do what it has to do ... the more time the photographer can spend on what he/she has to do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Adam, I fully agree. There is no way I've found the limits of my E-PL1. The 45/1.8 is helping me with this tho!
    Unless you are truly a pro, it's all about toys, so want beats need in this case!
  12. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I also have an epl1, and what I really need is a better backscreen to view the actual pictures on. The lcd of the epl1 is just too limited.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    The LCD is pretty bad on the E-P1 too. I just got my E-P3 and that is one of the things I am enjoying the most. The better screen.
  14. Agreed. This is one of the bonuses of the VF2, much higher resolution.

Maybe I'm odd, but I could easily live without an LCD screen if I have a really good EVF.
  15. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Instead of "upgrading" to a new and faster Body, I decided to order the 1,7/20mm. It should arrive today :)
  16. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I kind of like Joe McNallys way of thinking, your body is only as good as the glass on the front of it. My E-PL1 is a great little camera that is giving me masses of enjoyment at the moment. I doubt i'll upgrade for quite a while, and even then it will only be to another M4/3 body. I doubt i'll ever go back to big DLSR's, i'm a convert :D
  17. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I could live with an ovf with brightlines for 35 and 90 equivalents but I suspect not many people would buy that camera.

And there's the problem. No camera is perfect for a given user. Add marketing FUD and we're all doomed to a constant cycle of incremental upgrades. I'll stick with my e-p1 until it dies adding lenses as needed.
  18. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I'm an amateur so (at least my wife thinks) I never need to upgrade. Nevertheless I upgraded to a nice Gitzo tripod a few days ago. It cost me an awful lot of money but boy, I should have done this earlier!
  19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Satisfy a mildly compulsive disorder? Yes. Need? Definitely not :)
  20. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    While my E-P1 has effectively been replaced by the GH1/E-PL1, I don't think that I have held a modern camera that looked or felt better in the hand. It made me want to push it to it's limits and made it easy to forgive it's quirks. It sits right up there with my old 350D as a sentimental favourite even though it has nowhere near as much history with me as does the Canon.