Who needs the the SLR part?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, May 2, 2013.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I was at an event last night with family taking pictures of teens (It was a Catholic Confirmation mass if you're interested) Saw lots of iPhone shooting, some iPad shooting :)rolleyes:), a few bridge cameras, and DLSRs. What really struck me was that, VF or not, everyone was shooting from the LCD. I particularly watched this women using a Rebel in LV. Maybe there's hope for mirrorless after all, once folks realize what they're doing. :biggrin:
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Interesting observation. From film cameras to DSLRs I grew up using cameras with viewfinders. When I switched to :43: I wasn't sure about using an LCD - especially in bright sun (I had an E-PL1). Now, I don't his having a VF at all and might not use one even if he camera (such as the OM-D) had one. For people moving up from P&S the use of an LCD would be very natural.
  3. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I really haven't missed it, coming from a AE-1. Every once in a while I will instinctively pull the camera up to my face, but more so when goofing off and pretending I'm going to go take a shot then when I'm actually planning on taking a shot.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    LV on a Rebel! A fork in the eye is more fun than that, lol!
  5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    As new generation comes along, an "SLR" will be just something "cool" to have. But for some of us, the "SLR" is part of the fun. I can liken it to driving a car using an automatic against a stick. It's fun to drive a stick, but is it really necessary?
  6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I have to have the viewfinder. Call it old school or old fashioned but I cannot compose from a screen . And I've gone through three different Olympus mirrorless cameras to remind me that I have to have the viewfinder.
  7. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Having an EVF was an important consideration to make the move from SLRs to OMD. Being able to view the result without taking my eye off the camera and not having to put glasses on to view the image on the LCD screen....gr8!
    Using only the LCD....maybe....not used to having glasses on all the time yet!
  8. poisson rouge

poisson rouge Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    A few weeks ago I handed my D40 to a friend's mom, cause she said she wanted to take a picture of me also (As I was the one taking pictures of everybody so that they also had a picture of me. It was a birthday party) Well I put it in Auto mode and told her to only press the shutter. She then said it wasn't working because the LCD remained black xD I told her she had to look throigh the VF which apparently was a very strange thing for her (weird, huh! even though you must have grown up with optical viewfinders being the norm, these days it is very strange and everybody is used to LCD style shooting..)
  9. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I like having both. Screen for video and high or low angle shots, and EVF for everything else. If I could only have one, though, it would be the screen.
  10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I prefer the VF, but the LCD works okay for wide angle lenses, I can't imagine using it for normal and telephotos though.
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It certainly makes IS more important. At the aforementioned event, I took a picture of the group using the Mom's Nikon DSLR. I'll admit that DSLR felt awfully natural.
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    My first serious camera was a GF2, which also ended up being the only camera I've used that didn't have a viewfinder. Now I can't imagine not having one. That seemed strange to me that it became natural so quickly, but then I realized something: I grew up with P&S film cameras with viewfinders (even if it was the disposable ones), and my only other digital camera was a Casio Exilim EX-S3 - which also had a tiny optical viewfinder on it.

Oddly enough, even without being into photography I've used a viewfinder all my life without even noticing. It just took not having one and going back to it to realize it :tongue: